NF pickup rings?

mmm, i'm not sure i like the black pickup rings over the original ones.
one thing i would like to have is metal pickup rings instead of the plastic ones from the factory.
many other manufacturers offer them in less expensive guitar models.
Metal pickup rings would have to affect the magnetic pickups. I'm not so sure that's a good idea.

I'm a woodworker and love figured woods, therefore really dig PRS tops. Our eyes are drawn to changes in contrast, so the cream colored rings draw your eyes away from the wood on the top. The black rings fade into the background and your eyes focus on the wood.

Mine have wooden pickup rings.

I love black and dark wooden rings too but I am wondering if it is true that these 'look best' on guitars with non-maple fret boards?

I would love to put black rings on my NF pickups (or ALL of my pickups actually) but the neck on that particular guitar is maple and I'm thinking the black rings might clash.

Most pics of cool guitars with black rings seem to have rosewood or ebony boards.

Thoughts?

I got a new set of pickup rings from Dave at www.fretsonthenet.com. Thanks Dave! Here's the before and after pictures....I think it looks even better! Since I had the strings off I gave it a good makeover, polishing the frets and all metal hardware, oiling the fretboard, and polishing up the body.

Looks awesome, I love black pickup rings on pretty much any guitar that's not a sunburst or similar.

Nice! I dig the black rings. I went that route when I had my Studio too. If you really want to go all black, a satin black MannMade2300 with black chrome studs would send it over the top!

Bodia, what did and didn't you like about the Studio? I'm GASing for a Studio with the nearfields. I'm not really a strat guy but I have a token Suhr Strat that is awesome for what it is. Is the Studio a happy medium with sort of strat-ish qualities or neither or and it's own thing all together?

Thank you!

Looks awesome, I love black pickup rings on pretty much any guitar that's not a sunburst or similar.

Bodia, what did and didn't you like about the Studio? I'm GASing for a Studio with the nearfields. I'm not really a strat guy but I have a token Suhr Strat that is awesome for what it is. Is the Studio a happy medium with sort of strat-ish qualities or neither or and it's own thing all together?

Thank you!

I loved everything about the tones it was capable of. For some reason, I'd didn't care for the neck. Not sure why. I'm not particularly picky about necks. I've got WT, DGT, 594, Santana, WF and none of them seem to matter. Also, I was trying to justify the used Ps Santana that fell into my lap. Sacrifices had to be made, and the Studio and a 594 left the stable so I could pay for the Santana.

The NFs are straight up Humbucker-ish, until you roll back the volume and tone. They start to get near that SC sound. Not all the way their, but in the area. A member here, IKnowALittle, gigs with nothing but his Studio and covers ground from old style country, to 70s Classic to 80s metal, with a ton of blues tossed in, as well. I think it would get you what you're looking for.

I loved everything about the tones it was capable of. For some reason, I'd didn't care for the neck. Not sure why. I'm not particularly picky about necks. I've got WT, DGT, 594, Santana, WF and none of them seem to matter. Also, I was trying to justify the used Ps Santana that fell into my lap. Sacrifices had to be made, and the Studio and a 594 left the stable so I could pay for the Santana.

The NFs are straight up Humbucker-ish, until you roll back the volume and tone. They start to get near that SC sound. Not all the way their, but in the area. A member here, IKnowALittle, gigs with nothing but his Studio and covers ground from old style country, to 70s Classic to 80s metal, with a ton of blues tossed in, as well. I think it would get you what you're looking for.

Thank you @bodia, much appreciated! :)

Back