NF pickup rings?

helmi

single & satin
sorry if this isn't the right section, but just a little pet peave. would anybody besides myself LOOOOOOOOVE to see black pickup rings available for sale for the narrowfields so we can swap out the "white only" pickup rings? such a small request to bring such happiness! HELP SHAWN!

Last edited:
Ask Shawn if he can get you black rings. I like black rings with the NFs because they make the pickup look bigger, almost like a P-90.

On this one, it was more about NOT having white pickup rings. I took a chance and spec'd black, I am very happy with the result.
SatinFadedJadeGlowDragonsBreathTop_zps1aafed7e.jpg

very beautiful guitar, now that looks killer with the black pickup rings. no justmund, i dont want to paint the white ones, because if i mess up, then i'm royally screwed. i've got a gorgeous mccarty 25 nf 10-top quilt that is just stunning, but i look at the white pickup rings and just want to scream. they detract from the whole guitar because they stick out like a sore thumb. i already changed the toggle cap to black, and would be in heaven with 2 black rings!

thank you. if i was in aus, i'd be a lot happier guy. how did you get spares by the way?
I got hold of a pair of NFs out of a NF McCarty. A friend of mine got them from the US from someone who pulled them from his guitar. Somewhere out there is a NF McCarty that's been ruined.

I've put them in a SE EG and not using the rings... For now...

If I was a NF user, I'd want the black available. For certain color guitars I just think they look much better.

If I was a NF user, I'd want the black available. For certain color guitars I just think they look much better.

Would have looked fantastic on my old "Charcoal Burst" Studio... I miss that guitar sometimes even though I never really bonded with it...

Ask Shawn if he can get you black rings. I like black rings with the NFs because they make the pickup look bigger, almost like a P-90.

On this one, it was more about NOT having white pickup rings. I took a chance and spec'd black, I am very happy with the result.
SatinFadedJadeGlowDragonsBreathTop_zps1aafed7e.jpg
That guitar looks awesome by the way.

SHAWN, we're waiting for you to chime in!

Let's remember, posting a thread on the forum is not a substitute for contacting PRS customer service with a question. I can't chime in on every thread.

To answer our question. Paul likes the creme rings and that is why they are used on production models. The black rings are available to PS customers because "Private Stock" is all about customization. Perhaps the black rings will be available for sale sometime down the road, but there isn't an ETA for that possibility.

Reviving an ancient thread to see if anyone is aware of either a PRS or third party source for black pickup rings for the NF and 57/08 pickups on my 2011 Studio model.

If anyone has any places to look please let me know. A handful of random internet searches hasn't found much.

Reviving an ancient thread to see if anyone is aware of either a PRS or third party source for black pickup rings for the NF and 57/08 pickups on my 2011 Studio model.

If anyone has any places to look please let me know. A handful of random internet searches hasn't found much.

I wanted some for my 2011 Studio. This was probably 2014? I called PRS and asked if it would be possible to buy a set. Don't remember whom I talked to, but they hooked me up. They came in an accessory bag, with PRS labels, etc. Like something you could be from the PRS Store. I'm sure they weren't though.

OuaWyM1.jpg

I got a new set of pickup rings from Dave at www.fretsonthenet.com. Thanks Dave! Here's the before and after pictures....I think it looks even better! Since I had the strings off I gave it a good makeover, polishing the frets and all metal hardware, oiling the fretboard, and polishing up the body.

Here's the before with the original cream rings.

Then with the new black anodized aluminum rings.

mmm, i'm not sure i like the black pickup rings over the original ones.
one thing i would like to have is metal pickup rings instead of the plastic ones from the factory.
many other manufacturers offer them in less expensive guitar models.

I got a new set of pickup rings from Dave at www.fretsonthenet.com. Thanks Dave! Here's the before and after pictures....I think it looks even better! Since I had the strings off I gave it a good makeover, polishing the frets and all metal hardware, oiling the fretboard, and polishing up the body.

Here's the before with the original cream rings.

Then with the new black anodized aluminum rings.

Nice! I dig the black rings. I went that route when I had my Studio too. If you really want to go all black, a satin black MannMade2300 with black chrome studs would send it over the top!

Back