Next PRS - Recommendations?

SundanceSanDiego

I've got a 2018 408 and a 2021 594SC, thinking about either a 20/21 McCarty or Paul's Guitar, though I know either will have similarities to what I already have...

The PG (based on video reviews) does authentic sounding single-coils, and will be 'brighter' than the 408 given the bridge pickup. Not sure if the McCarty would be different enough from my 594, but I do like the feel of the stop-tail bridge of the McCarty I've been able to play at a local dealer, and generally seem to find I really like the 25" scale length.

Just curious to hear if there are any comments/suggestions about either of these or other models I should consider, I've had a Custom 24, Custom 22 Piezo, and DGT so those (as good as they are) are out. Hollowbody? Santana? Looked at the Special 22 Hollowbody but not sure if the middle pickup would work for me, I was all set to buy a 509 a year ago but after playing one, I kept hitting my pick on the middle pickup...

Sounds like you’re leaning towards 3 pickups for “different” so some other options are core studio or one of the upcoming Modern Eagle V wood library runs. MEV has a great reputation for the middle pickup not getting in the way.

+1 on the Studio suggestion. It is unlike your other guitars, offers quite different sound options, especially the single coil sounds, and is very versatile.

Having finally taken the plunge myself, I can say if you don’t have a Hollowbody PRS in your collection, you need one! I’ll most heartily second the recommendation of @DISTORT6 on the Hollowbody Spruce. It’s a great sounding, great playing guitar that is unique from my solidbody PRS guitars. And there’s no middle pickup in your way.

I agree with both the Santana and the HB suggestions. Both , to me, are very different tonal wise than the other core guitars. My Santana has this bite and cut and plenty of our put on the bridge that can be tamed easily with volume and tone knobs. The middle position is the best I have heard on a 2 knob guitar.

My 594 HB has this amazing growl to the low end, never heard it with any of my solid bodies.

thanks for all the great suggestions, will have a go at at least most of them. Was in Chicago this week and of course visited Chicago Music Exchange, played a Paul's Guitar I liked but didn't love, and several McCarty's I liked pretty much equally. There's only a couple Hollowbody's there, tried one I liked but it was a Wood Library outside my price range. They had a couple of older Santanas, I played the more recent model and didn't get on with it as well as the McCarty's. The hunt continues...thanks again

Based on input from those above, I’ve narrowed my search to a Paul’s Guitar or Custom 22 Piezo. McCarty is still a dark horse, but thinking it’s just too similar tone-wise to my 594 even though I’m sure I’d like it.

I’m drawn to what I think are the great single-coil tones of the PG (Phil McKnight has a good video on this). Any comments about either the Custom 22 or McCarty single-coil tones would be helpful, I find my current 408 single coil tones to be pretty good, and as I’m selling my Custom Shop Strat Artisan edition to pull this off, it be great to have some workable single-coil tones in the PRS style and scale length I’m so comfortable with. Yes, I’ve thought about a Silver Sky, but don’t think I want a ‘pure’ single-coil guitar at this point, as I already have an Anderson T-Icon.

Back