Newbie question about PRS ranking.

Looks like the general answer has been revealed...but get the one that fits you, and you can afford...well, until the next one comes along...trust me, you'll find a way!!

There are also factory limited editions like the "Owl" guitars that, IMO , no one person will ever own.

Regarding where the CE would go as some people mentioned...between an S2 and regular core line model is about right due to the hardware. With that said, the CEs I've played that we have had come through the shop have all been just as nice as the regular core line models in terms of overall build quality.

SE Standard
SE
S2
CE
Core standard
Core
Core 10 top
Artist Package
Signature
Wood Library
Private Stock
Collection
MaPetes latest guitars and Markies collection :)
Paul's own personal guitar of the moment, presented by the man himself.

Reactions: CVS
Regarding where the CE would go as some people mentioned...between an S2 and regular core line model is about right due to the hardware. With that said, the CEs I've played that we have had come through the shop have all been just as nice as the regular core line models in terms of overall build quality.

I've just bought a 1999 CE, it's superb. I've also had my hands on a 2016 CE, which also seemed a fine instrument.

With the 2016 version, perhaps the new shallower body carve, unrecessed controls and back covers, along with Korean trem and (excellent) S2 tuners are why they are now linked to S2?

Where does the current CE belong to?
Don´t know. There´re not replicas of the former CEs. You named the differences? Yeah, it´s US made with Asian spare parts. In a negative association it´s a guitar using the nimbus and name of a well known and accepted model in the PRS history.
In a positive association it´s a bolt-on guitar with a maple neck, new pickups which could deliver voicings some dudes would like to have by a PRS.
But indeed, due to the mix a link to S2 would be best consequence.

I'm not sure I would rank Wood Library as high as some have. Per PRS's description of it, it's just a menu based offering that allows for different combinations of wood.

And they add "The common misconception is that the quality of the wood in the wood library is unique. That’s not the case; the wood library is graded on the same scale in which we grade our other woods: Core, 10-top, Artist Package, Private Stock."

So a Wood Library guitar could really fall anywhere from regular Core on up.

Back