NEWBIE...looking to buy 1995 CU24...need advise!!!

brentrocks

Hi there!

im looking to buy this CU 24 ....looks to be a small heel, pre factory? Stamped 10 top.

is $1750 too much to pay for this guitar?

thanks in advance!!!

brent

prs4_zps110d5eec.jpg

prs1_zpsc09f34a8.jpg

prs2_zps90abb3d2.jpg

prs3_zpsd4a2233a.jpg

That's a good price for a `95 Custom 24. If you like it go for it. The PRS operations moved from Annapolis to Stevensville in `95 and was up and running in `96, but probably the determining factor with your guitar being from the old factory or the new factory would be that neck heel. Yours is small so that would be considered from the old factory. Pre factory would be guitars built before 1985. Good luck!

thanks dude.....is that a pre factory?

Check out the PRS Lexicon thread, but basically, "pre-factory" are guitars made prior to serial number 5_0001, which would be some time in 1985.

Everything else was made in a factory. There have been two factories.

People misuse this term, and I know folks who think their post 1985 guitar is somehow "pre-factory." In fact, I produced a record for a band where the guitar player insisted his '95 CU24 was "pre-factory". I liked the guy, so I gave him my copy of The PRS Guitar Book, by Dave Burrluck. I figured he needed it more than I did. I'd send you my copy if he'd only give it back!! ;)

thank you for the heads up....i just talked to him....i guess he has 2 ebay accounts, why he would post it 2 times, is beyond me? he says he is in the process of moving and selling off a lot of stuff.

Okay, I'm glad you spoke to him. Ebay can be both the best and the worst of people.

Nice score!

Thanks guys!

so they were using CNC machines in '95?
Not sure when 1st CNC was used but before that it was the duplicarver which is the same idea as CNC, just less accurate and more prone to wear out. Both do the same thing for the most part.
I think that's right anyhow, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way- great guitar! Nice buy!

Thanks guys!

so they were using CNC machines in '95?

I believe the Annapolis factory had duplicarvers and perhaps some CNC machinery but still used a fair amount of hand operation while the new factory has fully automated computer controlled CNC machinery that makes production fast, tolerances tight, and consistency high.

I believe the Annapolis factory had duplicarvers and perhaps some CNC machinery but still used a fair amount of hand operation while the new factory has fully automated computer controlled CNC machinery that makes production fast, tolerances tight, and consistency high.

Yup, duplicarvers are just analog CNC machines that don't do the job as well, but there's still a ton of hand work even now.

Well i have the guitar and all is well....except for the nut, so it seems.

when i use the trem most of the strings go sharp. i did lube the nut. am i doing something wrong? it is my first time with the old style locking tuners. it seems to me the strings are hanging up in the nut, i'm using 10s.

any words of wisdom, before i go have a new nut put on this guitar?

Well i have the guitar and all is well....except for the nut, so it seems.

when i use the trem most of the strings go sharp. i did lube the nut. am i doing something wrong? it is my first time with the old style locking tuners. it seems to me the strings are hanging up in the nut, i'm using 10s.

any words of wisdom, before i go have a new nut put on this guitar?

Congrats on a fine guitar. The tuners are probably not the problem. It's the nut or the trem. Make sure the trem is setting in the groove in the 6 screws holding it to the body and that it is level with the body and about a 16th of an inch from the body. If it still won't stay in tune it is the nut.

Back