New vs used PRS guitars

Same.
For myself, I prefer to let somebody else take the huge depreciation hit and then I get to enjoy a sweet guitar at a stupid low price.

All kidding aside, this of course makes excellent sense, and personal choices don’t need justification, anyway.

Having a warranty is nice. There’s some joy in being the owner of a brand new guitar. I kinda don’t trust that previous owners will have taken care of the guitars as I would. Granted, having new is mostly feel-good stuff, but having a little fun’s often an expensive proposition! :)

All with the exception of an old Kramer Strat clone were bought brand new both in Texas and in Hawaii. I prefer it that way. I have no interest in depreciation, or aftermarket add ons, that really isn't why I buy one when I do. It's not a car and I'm not pulling out a calculator to judge depreciation on something as simple as a guitar. My one PRS should garner exactly what I paid for it 14 yrs ago out here in Hawaii where they are lusted after by many players. Even if I don't get what I want, the new owner can rest assured that I didn't eat BBQ, pick my nose or wipe foreign substances on it for mojo. ;-)

Over the past 3 years I've purchased 10 used and 3 new PRS guitars. Of the 10, every one came as described. Many were like new and a few were in better condition than posted. If you plan to buy used, be sure to ask for more pictures if you have doubts (I almost spend $2k on a guitar before I noticed one tuner was slightly askew. The owner changed the tuners without disclosing it), ask if it was rewired and ask if it's all original. Also, ask for pictures of the case and if it's original. Do you due diligence and you'll be fine.

So far, every guitar that I have purchased has been used. The only new one in my collection is the Alvarez I won from AMS last October. I've been very lucky that all the guitars were in excellent shape with only minor repairs needed. (Cleaning and string changes mostly) as @Charlie said, you have to do your homework and ask questions when buying used.

I got a Soapbar bar with P90’s with scratches and chips for £185. Bit of a dog but plays incredibly and sounds awesome. So good I got another Se Singlecut has a bit of blue corrosion and dulling to metal work. A few pick scratches but plays superbly for £275.
I’d have to pay £1500 extra for that ‘relic job’ on a Fender...:cool:

….every one came as described. Many were like new and a few were in better condition than posted....

Again, personal purchasing preferences aside, this has been my experience as well. When I was buying my first used Core guitars, I was VERY nervous about paying a lot for possible junky guitars that weren't as described. All of them came as described - or better. Now, I tend to believe most sellers - though I still mostly buy from dealers. I ask a lot of questions, but I came to realize that the Core (and up) PRS player is a different kind of musician - if they are even really musicians at all!! What I mean, is that I have come across quite a few PRS guys that play in the office/bedroom and the guitars get very low hours.

When I buy a used PRS (that usually looks like new) I figured I'm injecting some liquidity into some other PRS fanatic's GAS budget.

He'll go buy a new PRS and I'll be around in a year or two to take it off his hands … again.

It is the great wheel of gear that turns slowly, yet with such inexorable force.

=K

*&%&%%##%@$$!!!! Man, I really love you guys/gals!!
And FWIW, I own mostly used PRSi...a few new, but I've always had a hands-on inspection before purchasing used...moreso for my piece-of-mind. Just figure out the basic 5-6 critical items to check, and plug 'er in! They're only a couple pieces of wood, couple wires, etc...
Now Amps...that's a whole other animal,... for me, anyway.

Again, personal purchasing preferences aside, this has been my experience as well. When I was buying my first used Core guitars, I was VERY nervous about paying a lot for possible junky guitars that weren't as described. All of them came as described - or better. Now, I tend to believe most sellers - though I still mostly buy from dealers. I ask a lot of questions, but I came to realize that the Core (and up) PRS player is a different kind of musician - if they are even really musicians at all!! What I mean, is that I have come across quite a few PRS guys that play in the office/bedroom and the guitars get very low hours.
That was kind of my point to the entire post. :D

When I buy a used PRS (that usually looks like new) I figure I'm injecting some liquidity into some other PRS fanatic's GAS budget.

He'll go buy a new PRS and I'll be around in a year or two to take it off his hands … again.

It is the great wheel of gear that turns so slowly, yet with such inexorable force.

=K

Oh, and PRS is one brand that I'll buy sight unplayed, if everything else checks out (the seller, the photos, the return address in Nigeria). Their QC is that good.

That other well-known dual-humbucker brand? Not to be rude, but I'd have to play it first, and look at it closely, in person.

=K

What I mean, is that I have come across quite a few PRS guys that play in the office/bedroom and the guitars get very low hours.
My PRS was one of those that was bought second hand in immaculate condition like it had barely been used in its 5 years.
In the last 4 years I've only played it at home and though I'm careful with it I've definitely put a lot more wear on it. There's the odd ding, buffed satin finish, a couple of small chips etc. Now looks like a well used but loved guitar

I posted this as a reply to another thread and thought I would ask others what they think in a broader conversation. It was in response to someone saying that they assumed that the OP of a question thread was looking to purchase new as opposed to used. This was my reply....

"One of the things that I really like about the "cork sniffer" mentality of some PRS owners is that you can ALWAYS find a 10 or even 15 year old guitar that basically IS new. It will have been played two or three times a year, just when someone comes over that knows what they are looking at. And by the time it makes it to the used market, it is still basically a new guitar but at a better price.....and the woods have settled about as much as they are going to by then. Unlike a lot of [particularly] Fender fans, the idea of a guitar that is in "relic" condition doesn't seem to be nearly as big amongst the PRS people. And a pristine specimen is always available as a result. :) So, you CAN buy new if you want. But you don't really have to and can still get one in a "like new" condition."

Just wondering how you all feel about that.

Genius

Back