New vs used PRS guitars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danktat, Feb 24, 2019.

1. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

You have to go to Virginia to get checked out? :rolleyes:

ScottR, bodia, sergiodeblanc and 2 others like this.
  2. Rusty Chos

Rusty Chos Don’t mean a thang if it don’t twang

Well, they found a banjo last time.
    TV remote the first time.

3. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I don’t care if it’s new or used, I only care if it has the sound I want. I’ll Buy whatever fills the bill.

ScottR, bodia, LSchefman and 2 others like this.
  4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

All kidding aside, this of course makes excellent sense, and personal choices don’t need justification, anyway.

Having a warranty is nice. There’s some joy in being the owner of a brand new guitar. I kinda don’t trust that previous owners will have taken care of the guitars as I would. Granted, having new is mostly feel-good stuff, but having a little fun’s often an expensive proposition! :)

ScottR, markd21, Wakester and 3 others like this.
  5. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

All with the exception of an old Kramer Strat clone were bought brand new both in Texas and in Hawaii. I prefer it that way. I have no interest in depreciation, or aftermarket add ons, that really isn't why I buy one when I do. It's not a car and I'm not pulling out a calculator to judge depreciation on something as simple as a guitar. My one PRS should garner exactly what I paid for it 14 yrs ago out here in Hawaii where they are lusted after by many players. Even if I don't get what I want, the new owner can rest assured that I didn't eat BBQ, pick my nose or wipe foreign substances on it for mojo. ;-)

dogrocketp and ScottR like this.
  6. Charlie

Charlie New Member

Over the past 3 years I've purchased 10 used and 3 new PRS guitars. Of the 10, every one came as described. Many were like new and a few were in better condition than posted. If you plan to buy used, be sure to ask for more pictures if you have doubts (I almost spend $2k on a guitar before I noticed one tuner was slightly askew. The owner changed the tuners without disclosing it), ask if it was rewired and ask if it's all original. Also, ask for pictures of the case and if it's original. Do you due diligence and you'll be fine.

7. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Amen, Les

Alnus Rubra and Bill SAS 513 like this.
  8. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

I think he said he had his Virginia checked out. Explains the “cootologist” statement. :eek:

Rusty Chos, ScottR and alantig like this.
  9. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

So far, every guitar that I have purchased has been used. The only new one in my collection is the Alvarez I won from AMS last October. I've been very lucky that all the guitars were in excellent shape with only minor repairs needed. (Cleaning and string changes mostly) as @Charlie said, you have to do your homework and ask questions when buying used.

10. Soapbar-uk

Soapbar-uk New Member

I got a Soapbar bar with P90’s with scratches and chips for £185. Bit of a dog but plays incredibly and sounds awesome. So good I got another Se Singlecut has a bit of blue corrosion and dulling to metal work. A few pick scratches but plays superbly for £275.
    I’d have to pay £1500 extra for that ‘relic job’ on a Fender...:cool:

11. markd21

markd21 New Member

Again, personal purchasing preferences aside, this has been my experience as well. When I was buying my first used Core guitars, I was VERY nervous about paying a lot for possible junky guitars that weren't as described. All of them came as described - or better. Now, I tend to believe most sellers - though I still mostly buy from dealers. I ask a lot of questions, but I came to realize that the Core (and up) PRS player is a different kind of musician - if they are even really musicians at all!! What I mean, is that I have come across quite a few PRS guys that play in the office/bedroom and the guitars get very low hours.

ScottR likes this.
  12. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

When I buy a used PRS (that usually looks like new) I figured I'm injecting some liquidity into some other PRS fanatic's GAS budget.

He'll go buy a new PRS and I'll be around in a year or two to take it off his hands … again.

It is the great wheel of gear that turns slowly, yet with such inexorable force.

=K

13. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

I’ve had good luck buying used guitars from guys named Paul.

14. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

*&%&%%##%@$$!!!! Man, I really love you guys/gals!!
    And FWIW, I own mostly used PRSi...a few new, but I've always had a hands-on inspection before purchasing used...moreso for my piece-of-mind. Just figure out the basic 5-6 critical items to check, and plug 'er in! They're only a couple pieces of wood, couple wires, etc...
    Now Amps...that's a whole other animal,... for me, anyway.

15. danktat

danktat Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist

That was kind of my point to the entire post. :D

dogrocketp and markd21 like this.
  16. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

I’ve used every guitar I’ve purchased, too. I think that’s actually pretty common. :rolleyes:

dmatthews, Tone-y, bodia and 7 others like this.
  17. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

Oh, and PRS is one brand that I'll buy sight unplayed, if everything else checks out (the seller, the photos, the return address in Nigeria). Their QC is that good.

That other well-known dual-humbucker brand? Not to be rude, but I'd have to play it first, and look at it closely, in person.

=K

dogrocketp, markd21 and Alnus Rubra like this.
  18. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

My wife likes PRS because she knows she can buy me anything she likes the look of and it will be a great guitar.

19. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

My PRS was one of those that was bought second hand in immaculate condition like it had barely been used in its 5 years.
    In the last 4 years I've only played it at home and though I'm careful with it I've definitely put a lot more wear on it. There's the odd ding, buffed satin finish, a couple of small chips etc. Now looks like a well used but loved guitar

Bill SAS 513 and markd21 like this.
  20. Tremontinator

Tremontinator Banned

Genius