New vs used PRS guitars

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
I posted this as a reply to another thread and thought I would ask others what they think in a broader conversation. It was in response to someone saying that they assumed that the OP of a question thread was looking to purchase new as opposed to used. This was my reply....

"One of the things that I really like about the "cork sniffer" mentality of some PRS owners is that you can ALWAYS find a 10 or even 15 year old guitar that basically IS new. It will have been played two or three times a year, just when someone comes over that knows what they are looking at. And by the time it makes it to the used market, it is still basically a new guitar but at a better price.....and the woods have settled about as much as they are going to by then. Unlike a lot of [particularly] Fender fans, the idea of a guitar that is in "relic" condition doesn't seem to be nearly as big amongst the PRS people. And a pristine specimen is always available as a result. :) So, you CAN buy new if you want. But you don't really have to and can still get one in a "like new" condition."

Just wondering how you all feel about that.

It depends on the prior owner. I have gotten used in these conditions:

-Dual Soapbar, Chipped headstock (pinky sized chunk knocked off the pointier point). Gigged some.
-Custom SC 22, Rewired, poorly. Home player chasing tones.
-Custom 22 early MIK, Neck broken at the heel from the body, factory switch wiring problem, jack rewired poorly, body hack marks. Gigged for a couple years. Pictures of this one:

img_20170726_160045-jpg.449689

img_20170726_162101-jpg.449696

Neck cracked away from the body
img_20170726_162339-jpg.449697

Broken sections revealed, after steaming the neck off
img_20170727_170800-jpg.452530

After repairs and cosmetic mods (trim rings, knobs, truss cover, switch tip).
img_20180629_083238.jpg

LOL depends on the selling owner.

I for one will never sell my as-new guitars for less than brand new prices. It would be a disrespect and disservice to the guitars. I’d rather find someone respectful of them and will take good care of them, or else it’s better they go under with me.

For me, a guitar is never just a guitar.

Last edited:
I love my used PRS guitars even more than the two I bought new, because for even le$$ I scored used Artists and Private Stocks in pristine condition, and beautiful.

Also my used SC 58 Stripper was almost cheap, and has the IT factor!

-Dual Soapbar, Chipped headstock (pinky sized chunk knocked off the pointier point). Gigged some.
-Custom 22 early MIK, Neck broken at the heel from the body, factory switch wiring problem, jack rewired poorly, body hack marks. Gigged for a couple years. Pictures of this one:

img_20180629_083238.jpg

Firstly, ouch!

Second of all, nice repairs!

Third of all, since when did a guitarist need to go anywhere near the drum kit?!

It’s fun to buy new, however why not enjoy the financial benefit of being the second/third keeper.

I am perfectly fine buying used. As you say, they can be found in new condition for a great price. On the other hand, I'd buy new if it's what I'm looking for, specifically. My WL509 would be an example of that. The 594 was another. Wasn't willing to wait for the used market to heat up.

Buying new advantages:

Lifetime warranty (though seldom used)
New guitar case smell

Buying used advantages:

Price break lets you get a guitar sooner than buying the same guitar new
Don't have to worry about that first scratch

Other than these, when buying PRSi, I don't see much difference.

I have 3 new and 3 used and I agree with the op because 2 of the 3 uesd have a little wear but the 3rd is basically brand new.

One thing about buying new is the mojo is all yours, no leftover spiritual funk from any previous players. Anything other than the guitar I'll look for used mint but with the axe I want a clean slate so I can incorporate my own soul into a new house with no ghosts of the past.

I'm in a very lucky position buying new in that I have a friend who is a highly respected private dealer with 20+ years in the business and relationships with all the better shops across the country. If little old me would have bought my 594 directly from Eddie's I would have paid full street price.

Going thru Greg saved me about 30% on a brand new 594 WL with full mfr warranty and receipt in my name from Eddie's. They don't even know I exist, but they love Greg and so do I for the same reason... rock solid integrity. If I didn't know Greg I'd probably be buying used mint or not at all.

Some people brag about being casual and carefree with expensive guitars, but they're also the ones left wondering why nobody wants their used **** when it comes time to sell it. I'm not afraid to play my guitars, I just don't get careless because they're beautiful instruments that mean something to me :)

img_20180629_083238.jpg
Whoooh! Man, that’s disturbing...traumatizing.

Buying new advantages:

Lifetime warranty (though seldom used)
New guitar case smell

Buying used advantages:

Price break lets you get a guitar sooner than buying the same guitar new
Don't have to worry about that first scratch

Other than these, when buying PRSi, I don't see much difference.
AP515 hit the nail on the head for me. If it is the perfect guitar/top/color AND I have the money, New is it! But saving some $ on mint pre-owned let's me expand my collection as my heart and wallet desires.

All my PRS guitars have been bought new. Part of that is the guarantee that the guitar has no 'gunk' no messing with the wiring etc and part of it is because of the lifetime guarantee too. I know its coming with ALL the case candy, the case without anyone elses 'sticker' marks or damage.

Its not that I wouldn't buy a used PRS from a reputable retailer if the 'right' PRS becomes available at the right price but they don't seem to crop up very often in the UK and 'sometimes' you can find new in a sale at similar prices. I am also quite particular, too much maybe, about the colour. I couldn't care less if a WL or PS version of a Guitar is available used at a great price if its 'blue' for example, I would rather pay more for a 'new' Red core version and 'put up with' how the core sounds, plays etc instead. I know that is absurd to some who would much prefer the WL or PS version regardless of what colour it is as long as it sounds and plays well.

What helps PRS ove other manufacturers is often the type of Finish they use. You can buy a well used PRS that has been looked after with minor dents because of the finish where as Nitro finishes can wear and make used guitars look as if the owner didn't care or look after his tools. For some, that relic is good sign, a sign that an instrument has been well used - maybe even a favourite but to me, it just looks like it needed to be replaced because its getting worn out and a mess. Different horse for different courses...

There is also the aspect that as Paul never sits on his laurels and always looking at how to improve everything, then theoretically, buying 'new' is also buying a 'better' instrument. Depends on the model of course as you can't buy certain models anymore - I wouldn't mind a Fire Red Burst 513 (even though I have a 509 in this colour) so the likelihood of me finding one 'new' is very, very slim. Therefore I would have to buy 2nd hand...

Should require a warning label like that California cancer thing.

Warning: The previous owner may have played this guitar without washing his hands after using the toilet. The previous owner may have believed that nose oil, chicken fat, or something even more disgusting was a good fretboard conditioner. Call your doctor if you get a rash or shortness of breath when playing this guitar. If you have a peanut allergy, have the guitar checked for remnants of peanut oil. Do not play this guitar if you have a cat allergy or suffer from frequent infections. In some cases, the previous owner may have hung the guitar on a termite-infested wall, or handed the guitar to his nose-picking kids.

If you have an erection lasting for more than 4 hours after playing this guitar, call your doctor and proceed to the nearest emergency room. And see a psychiatrist, because, lets’s face it, that ain’t right.

Serious side effects, including but not limited to blindness or death, may happen from overuse of this guitar.

Tell your doctor about any unusual medical conditions you have before taking the guitar to a gig. Your doctor may advise periodic liver tests if you buy this guitar. The plague fleas may have survived the fire. Some users have reported that the smoke smell will never leave the guitar.

Last edited:
Back