New user...a one of a kind PRS for your viewing pleasure :)

Elx

Hello everyone, I am new around here but certainly not new to guitars. I wanted to show you my SC 250 with a refinished top, which makes it unique :)

It's not a refinished top but a new one...didn't like the old one, tried to repaint it, failed miserably of course, and this is what a friend of mine, one of the best luthiers in Europe has managed to come up with...

prs_zpsf71059e3.jpg

Thanks for showing a photo of the PRS weight relief technique - removing wood via eight parallel slots.

Last edited:
Your friend did a nice job. What made you decide to remove the top? That’s not normally part of a refin, but really interesting what’s inside!

Very interesting.

I don't like that any guitars are weight relieved. I wish companies would leave the wood alone! A good piece of tonewood is a good piece of tone wood don't cut holes in it

That said, my 2007 SC250 sounds amazing and I appreciate the light weight, but I would still prefer no weight relief.

I love my SC but not the biggest fan of the top. It's too light, and I like dark finishes. Is it super expensive to have a new finish done?

I would post a pic, but I have not had any success posting pics on the forum.

I'm shocked... I had no idea PRS weight relieved any guitars. I'm tempted to have all my PRS guitars x-ray'd and sell off any I discover to have been weight relieved.

I'm shocked... I had no idea PRS weight relieved any guitars. I'm tempted to have all my PRS guitars x-ray'd and sell off any I discover to have been weight relieved.
Why?
Do they suddenly sound like crap if they are?
I believe only SC250’s and SC245’s made when they split the original Singlecut model into 2 are weight relieved.
<EDIT>Possibly the first run of Singlecuts post “lawsuit” were also weight relieved.

Last edited:
Welcome to forum. That guitar turnout beautiful. Thanks for sharing the photo of the weight relief. I've never seen that before.

I have never understood the consternation over weight relieving. If the guitar sounds good, it shouldn't matter. If the guitar feels too light for you, don't buy it. If the weight makes it possible to play a full show with it AND you like the way it sounds, cool.

All that said, I have to admissions: I love light guitars and I love semi- and hollowbodies. :rolleyes:

Back