New "Ugly" Guitar Day!

Transparent black is my least favorite finish, no matter what the guitar. No idea why companies opt for this finish. It's not as if most don't offer an opaque/lacquer black either.

Is it cheaper to produce than other transparent colors?
A lot of people seem to like that finish; seems like it sells well. It's not my favorite either, but on a nice top I think it's pretty cool. I'd rather have transparent black than opaque solid black (fingerprint magnet!), but that's just my opinion. I don't think it's any cheaper than any other transparent finish, but I think I read somewhere that black is the biggest-selling color for electric guitars.

Tracking number says my "new build" replacement will be here tomorrow! I'm pretty excited, as I've been without it for over two months now after only having had it in my possession for about a week. I ended up going with the Whale Blue color, but now I'm kinda wishing I'd gone with something else...most of the Whale Blue's I've seen lately seem pretty dark, but I wanted to go with something I didn't have a lot of which is why I chose that.

Anybody have and love the Whale Blue color?!?

Also hoping that PRS remembered to take all the stuff I had changed on it and put it on this new one! (2nd push/pull pot, DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary pickups, chrome switch tip, Dunlop locks, etc.)

In the two guitars that I've put a kill switch in, I've used a toggle switch. Anybody use one of the momentary type "buttons" for a kill switch?

Yes.

oinky6-18172.jpg

oinky8-18174.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I don't have to worry about liking or not liking the Whale Blue...the new guitar just arrived and they made the new build Gray Black again!

Not sure what happened...we spoke a few times about making the new build in Whale Blue. Oh well, maybe I'll have the only 2015 S2 Custom 24 in Gray Black! LOL

Plays great - fret ends are perfect. I'll try and post a pic or two after work today. They did everything just like I wanted, except for the color! My two push/pull pots, DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary pickups, chrome switch tip, tremolo blocked, Dunlop strap locks, etc. I can't complain too much about the color mixup - I did get a brand new 2015 built guitar when I bought a "new" 2013 guitar for a much lower price than normal in the first place.

Yea, that guitar is a real double-bagger. (One bag over the guitar and on over your hear in case the first bag falls off. hhahaha)

Rock that guitar with complete abandon! Very nice! \m/

The "new build" replacement:

image-e1447442229236.jpg

image1-e1447442474438.jpg

image2-e1447442568555.jpg

Defintely my least favorite of my PRS guitars. It'll end up being my beater and I'll drag it to band practices and not worry about it getting nicked up. It sounds great though & that's the most important thing. I really like the DiMarzio PAF 36th Ann. pickups in both this S2 and my S2 Singlecut. I do like that the rosewood board on this one is much darker than the original one.

Last edited:
Back