New "Ugly" Guitar Day!

mapleleaf14

So today I ended up trading an LTD Strat, a Bugera G5 amp head & 112 cab, a Samson USB mic, and a cheap Bedell acoustic for a brand new, old stock (2013) S2 Custom 24 with possibly the most bland looking top I've ever seen on a PRS! The bland looks are probably the reason it never had sold yet. I figured it'd make a good "beater". I got a guitar that I'll use and got rid of some stuff that I wasn't using, and my dealer got rid of a new guitar that had been sitting for too long.

There is hardly any flame at all, but there is a fairly good amount of mineral streaking (I think that's what it's called) in the top, and the rosewood fretboard has a nice lighter color to it.

Before I made the deal, I worked in two new DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary pickups (the pre-aged version) and two new CTS push/pull pots so I can split each pickup individually and we swapped everything out for the stock stuff and then strung it up with some NYXL 11-49's.

Well, after spending a couple hours with this guitar I can safely say the the PAF 36th Ann. pickups are fantastic! I didn't really have much experience with DiMarzio's before these, having used the various PRS pickups in most of my guitars but I think the S2 pickups are definitely a place where they cut costs. This has pretty much confirmed that I will probably try other pickups in my other S2 guitars as well.

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

It's its the ugliest guitar I own, but it plays great and sound fantastic!

Last edited:
Think of the bright side, it sounds great and no one would want to steal it? :) - Great trade. I was at an unnamed store today and they had a similar s2. Really plain jane but nice sound.

Dude, if that's your idea of ugly then you haven't been around much. I actually like that guitar more than plenty I've seen with lotsa flame. I like charcoal-colored guitars in general and find yours to be quite fetching.

Thanks guys!

I spent the majority of the day playing this one through the new Archon...killer combo. I still prefer one of my Cores but the S2's are great for tossing in the car for band practice and I'm not so concerned with taking great care with them like I am with the Cores.

I'm putting these pickups in my S2 Singlecut too (not going with the "pre-aged" ones again though - just went with those in the charcoal 24 because they looked so good with that color), and I'm thinking about what I want to put into my S2 semi-hollow...I've already put the second push/pull in that one. I still think some 57/08's would be great for that guitar but am open to other suggestions. I don't want anything to aggressive - looking more for sweetness than harshness!

Keep it down guys, she might hear you. :wink: Despite how she looks, I bet you'll be worn out playing her all night. :biggrin:

Love trades like that. Looks really good with those pickups and to my eye the finish complements the bevel on the S2, very industrial. Congrats!

Transparent black is my least favorite finish, no matter what the guitar. No idea why companies opt for this finish. It's not as if most don't offer an opaque/lacquer black either.

Is it cheaper to produce than other transparent colors?

Back