New to PRS

AlienRayBeam

I've wanted a PRS for a while now. They look beautiful and I love the sound. My only fear is how wide the necks are. I've played a flat radius, jumbo ESP neck for years. I worry that even on the Custom 24, there will be a huge learning curve with lead playing. I've played the wide-thin neck profiles and like them a lot but am not sure if I will several months from now. Any comments/suggestions? Any shredders out there that play PRS? I play on the upper frets a lot and worry that it will be a lot more difficult, especially with the smaller frets.

With age comes a tolerance for neck carves (yeah, I'll blame it on age). At least, I've become carve agnostic. My first was W/T because I liked it and thought I needed it, like you, because of what I played at the time. It was the last wide thin neck I'd ever buy. It all goes to show, the neck carve, alone, doesn't make for a good playing guitar. And it's convenient (probably the wrong word, according to my wife) to walk up to any PRS and think, "yeah, I could own this...". o_O

FWIW, for many years I played PRS Custom24s exclusively, however for the last few years, I've indulged in other GAS-related, bucket-list items. This month, I returned to the PRS Nest and, after purchasing two marvelous instruments-both Custom 24s with Wide-Thin necks, I have to wonder why I ever left. For me the W/T neck is simply the most comfortable neck I've ever played! While some guitars I've had come close to the ease of playability of a PRS, they always lacked something (number of frets, bolt-on vs. set-neck, etc.). With these recent acquisitions, I finally feel like I'm Home!

I don't have any experience with ESP, but most other superstrats I've played or tried (Jackson Soloist, Ibanez S, Yamaha Pacifica, Kramer Beretta, Charvel Fusion, Music Man Luke) felt somewhat wider on the upper fretboard compared to a standard Fender C neck. The PRS wide thin isn't far off the carve on the Jackson SL-1 I used to have. I personally find the wide thin with 10" radius and medium jumbo fretwire a lot more comfortable to play than the 16" radius and supersize frets you find on the flatter shred necks, but I have admittedly thick digits and I'm not a shredder anymore (and never really got all that good at it back in the day). I would probably think that the shorter scale length, rounder radius, and smaller fretwire would take more getting used to than the width of the neck carve. I always flub my old Randy riffs until I slow 'em down and relearn 'em because my fingers still want to play them 25.5" scale. Muscle memory can be a stubborn thing!

Back