New to PRS

guitargeorge1964

Hi,
I've been doing some wheeling and dealing recently and traded a Gibson Les Paul Traditional for a PRS Hollowbody I (non-piezo). I just traded that recently for a PRS Custom 24. It's a 2001 model and the serial number matches the range for that year. What's throwing me off is that it's Gold. Not a Goldtop, but the back of the body and headstock are also painted gold. I've been looking around the internet and have not found that paint scheme on any other PRS guitars. Does anyone have any information on this guitar? It plays and sounds great. I got it with a case and all the case candy, so if it's a forgery then it's a pretty good one. Anyway, I appreciate anyone's help with this. Vic

I recall a PRS all-gold color scheme. I think it may have been called Old Gold. Someone will come along with more info I'm sure!

I recall a PRS all-gold color scheme. I think it may have been called Old Gold. Someone will come along with more info I'm sure!
That sounds right from what I remember - which isn't much:D
I don't think they did a ton of guitars in that color.

I was just rummaging around in my studio, and came across the 2001 PRS catalog; sure enough, in the back there are the color options, one of which is called Old Gold Metallic!

So your guitar's color scheme was definitely a factory option in 2001.

Whether or not the entire guitar was painted gold, I'm pretty sure that PRS always referred to their gold color as Old Gold Metallic. Most were painted in the traditional gold-top fashion, leaving a natural back and neck, but I've seen others painted entirely gold.
Does yours have the faux binding around the perimeter of the body? That's a sure sign it has a maple top, but if not you may want to pull a pickup and see if you can discern that it does indeed have a maple top vs. a solid mahogany body.

Back