New to PRS - McCarty 594 or Custom22

Thanks all for the input! Really do appreciate your time and feedback! I love playing both instruments, and while the CU22 is just a joy, the little voice in my head is saying the McCarty. So I think I’ll start there. I am sure the 22 will follow soon after . I do like the fact the 594 just doesn’t care about trying to do a Strat or Tele as said in one of the posts. It’s its own character.

Strictly personal preference, but for me 594.

If it was my choice, I would definitely go with the 594 too. I prefer a fixed bridge, love the Pattern Vintage neck carve, the shorter scale length, thicker body, the individual tone/volume controls, the individual coil splitting options and variety of options you can find this model in - from Hollowbody, to semi hollow to Solid, from double cut to single-cut.

That being said, I would still be happy to add a Cu22 to my collection - although next for me is hopefully a hollowbody 594...

Thanks all for the input! Really do appreciate your time and feedback! I love playing both instruments, and while the CU22 is just a joy, the little voice in my head is saying the McCarty. So I think I’ll start there. I am sure the 22 will follow soon after . I do like the fact the 594 just doesn’t care about trying to do a Strat or Tele as said in one of the posts. It’s its own character.

That was going to be my next answer. Just get both!

I mostly hear “classic rock” in my head - Boston, 38 Special, Stones, etc. I do like to toss in some jazz, blues and other stuff here and there. I am so torn which to start with. I have a couple of Custom Shop Fenders (‘60 Strat and ‘63 Tele). I was searching for Les Paul until I found PRS

I remember watching a band play Baracuda & Whole lot of Rosie in the same set. The guitarist used the same guitar & amp through both songs & I did not find her tone lacking for either song. A Strat with three single coils.

My point, a custom shop Strat or Tele will get what you're looking for.

That said, I'd pick up a 594. I love my 594. I love my McCarty. I love my Teles, my Strats, my LPs... my Mockingbirds.

One day I'll own a Severn & a Kenai. Just because.

Funny you mention Baracuda, I love playing that song! Simple, but just fun and sounds awesome! I do that one on my Strat too! When ya get the harmonics right, it's just awesome. Getting rhem consistent is tough!

Here is my 2 cents. Buy the 594 and enjoy life. After a very short while you will slowly sell your non prs guitars. When that happens, look for a used cu22.

Your pickup options will be 5815, dragon 2 or dragon 1 it all depends on the year you pick. Also, a used cu22 can be trem or fixed bridge. The cu22 also has been available with 3 way toggle, rotary or 5 way blade.

Tons if options

Good choice. You can't go wrong either way. Besides, you'll end up with both before too long!

Hey that sounds familiar... (albeit with bonus frets)

vJ8qx8rg.jpg

Yeah, it's gunna happen even if you're sure it's not.

I'm biased, but I vote 594! If you gel with Pattern Vintage and like the controls, IMO the tones you wrench out will continue to surprise you. Great axe, it has a soul all its own.

I know you didn’t mention it but I would say check out a 509. It’s super versatile from a jazzy neck humbucker to strat in between to a killer killer bridge humbucker that is overflowing with harmonics when distorted yet still clear and aggressive when needed. Check out some of my other posts. I would take a 509 over any other guitar in the lineup any day of the week.

Back