New to PRS. Mark Holcomb Sig help.

xjoeyalexanderx

Hey guys I am brand new to PRS guitars although I have played for a few years.

I just bought my first prs. It is a 2019 Mark Holcomb signature SE.

I have heard that it is best to change the cheap nut that these come with and also the locking tuners.

I wondered if anyone out there had advice and/or links to where you can buy the best upgraded parts for this guitar.

I appreciate your time and thank you ahead of time for checking this out and responding.

Take care!

Hey guys I am brand new to PRS guitars although I have played for a few years.

I just bought my first prs. It is a 2019 Mark Holcomb signature SE.

I have heard that it is best to change the cheap nut that these come with and also the locking tuners.

I wondered if anyone out there had advice and/or links to where you can buy the best upgraded parts for this guitar.

I appreciate your time and thank you ahead of time for checking this out and responding.

Take care!

Tuners:
https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/tuners/products/prs-se-locking-tuners-set

Core nut:
https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/s2-parts/products/string-nuts-set-of-2

Congrats on your PRS and welcome to the forum!

Also any aftermarket brands or stick with prs? And I probably should've mentioned that I would definitely prefer black, even the bridge would be cool to change out so everything is black.

Hey mate, I couldn't tell if you have the 6 string or the 7 string variant.
I have the 7 string and changed out the tuners. You will need to take the tuner buttons (wings/pegs, whatever they're called) off each of the stock tuners and put them on the locking tuners. The 7 string tuner buttons are narrower. If you don't change the buttons, they will graze the headstock when rotating/tuning on the low B string.

Also any aftermarket brands or stick with prs? And I probably should've mentioned that I would definitely prefer black, even the bridge would be cool to change out so everything is black.
I believe Hipshot makes a black bridge, not sure what the tonal benefit is.

I’d say if PRS makes it, go with that, if not, then look at other brands.

I believe Hipshot makes a black bridge, not sure what the tonal benefit is.

I’d say if PRS makes it, go with that, if not, then look at other brands.
When I had a Holcomb one of my fave things was the bridge. I wouldn’t mess with it.

I just did the nut.

Sold it bc I couldn’t get along with the 20” radius and high frets.

When I had a Holcomb one of my fave things was the bridge. I wouldn’t mess with it.

I just did the nut.

Sold it bc I couldn’t get along with the 20” radius and high frets.
I like the bridge as well, the black chrome is a nice touch. Maybe the saddles could be swapped for a graphite set. I did the nut, may do locking tuners at some point but in the meantime they’re fine. Fretboard radius doesn’t bother me too much. Maybe it would if I came from strat land.

I bought both the walnut and the burst models when it first got released, ended up returning the walnut one. Didn’t play nearly as well even after I set them up. Was nice having em on the wall together for a bit.

MSu62iD.jpg

I wonder if anyone’s tried removing the gloss to give it a matte finish like the US model.

Last edited:
I like the bridge as well, the black chrome is a nice touch. Maybe the saddles could be swapped for a graphite set. I did the nut, may do locking tuners at some point but in the meantime they’re fine. Fretboard radius doesn’t bother me too much. Maybe it would if I came from strat land.

I bought both the walnut and the burst models when it first got released, ended up returning the walnut one. Didn’t play nearly as well even after I set them up. Was nice having em on the wall together for a bit.

MSu62iD.jpg

I wonder if anyone’s tried removing the gloss to give it a matte finish like the US model.
Hi NoisyDante!

You who played both side by side, how does the satin painted neck on the holcomb burst compared to the natural satin finish on the walnut one ?

Thanks !
JP

Back