New to PRS guitars

Yep! Great looking guitar! If I'm not mistaken...that is a Sweetwater exclusive with a matching flamed veneer on the headstock. Looks like they put white pickup rings on it that look great IMHO. Still kicking myself for selling mine!! I sold mine in 2018 for around 600 and it was in absolute perfect condition. I would haggle with them, because a lot of folks are listing them higher on the Reverb since their pretty substantial sellers fee increased last year. Even at that price....that's a great looking axe!!

That is one of the reasons I hate to looking! When I see one that I really really like and I don't have the money to buy it. :mad:
I’m not sure where you’re located, but if you don’t mind shipping your guitars that you want to see/trade, call up Chicago Music Exchange. They are very upfront with buying gear. They will give you 70% of what they are going to list it for. That’s at least 30% more than GC. I did a big sell off to them in 2019 before my wife retired. I sent them a list of what I was looking to sell. They emailed me back with what they would give me, and what they would list them for. I was shocked when I saw what they were offering. I was afraid there would be a big haggle session once I got there with the guitars (I’m local to them), and I’d get less than what they originally said. Nope. 45 minutes for them to look at 11 guitars. No questions asked. I was out the door in under an hour with exactly what they originally offered. Best trade/sell transaction I have ever had, face to face, with a dealer.

A couple times a year, you can get an SE Custom in the $500-$550 range on on Musician’s Friend. Set a deal alert on slickdeals.com and you get an email.

I’d advise being patient. Try out different models as you can, set a CL search to email you results, and be informed about what you want. That way, when you have the money and the deal is right, you’ll be ready.

Don’t let people suggest you into spending more than you’re comfortable with. A guitar is made to bring joy, not stress.

So this is what Dave's guitars offered me for my guitars.
We would sell both of these guitars at $195 as long as they checkout and are in good condition.

We would be able to offer you $150 trade or $100 cash on each.
That would be 300. Towards the guitar I wanted from there. Im not sure. He gets 2 guitars and 300 dollars. Decisions, Decisions. Lol.

Last edited:
If Daves would sell them for $195 each, that is likely what you might get for them if you sold them yourself. In that case, giving you $150 each on a trade sounds very reasonable. If you could trade both guitars, and $300, and get a nice SE Cu24 that you liked, even close to a good used SE 35th Ann Cu24, this also sounds very reasonable. Maybe you could haggle a bit and get a bonus, like a case, or some strings or something.

Just my opinion, you have to be happy and live with your choice, so check some of these used ones, including 35th Ann SE, at Dave's in Wisconsin (is this the Dave's you were referring to?)

https://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/type/electric/condition/used/

If Daves would sell them for $195 each, that is likely what you might get for them if you sold them yourself. In that case, giving you $150 each on a trade sounds very reasonable. If you could trade both guitars, and $300, and get a nice SE Cu24 that you liked, even close to a good used SE 35th Ann Cu24, this also sounds very reasonable. Maybe you could haggle a bit and get a bonus, like a case, or some strings or something.

Just my opinion, you have to be happy and live with your choice, so check some of these used ones, including 35th Ann SE, at Dave's in Wisconsin (is this the Dave's you were referring to?)

https://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/type/electric/condition/used/
Yes it is. My next question is should I get the 22 or 24 fret one?

What about the year. He is selling a 2019 and a 2020. For the same price. Is that usually how they sell them? Does the year make a difference or are they the same guitar?

Pretty much the same for those two years, the different one being the 35th Ann (2020), which has the TCI pickups and the mini toggles for coil splitting. The thing to look for is the condition, which Dave's understates IMO, most are listed as "very good" or "excellent". I have bought several from there, and always happy with the condition and price. I got the SE 35th in the black gold wrap from there, excellent guitar for around $650 or so. They have the blue 35th Ann model which looks darned good too.

Oh BTW, you asked about 22 or 24, and my preference is 24, the big difference is the sound of the neck pup is brighter on the 24, and the 24 is the quintessential PRS model.

Yes it is. My next question is should I get the 22 or 24 fret one?

I have both types (I don't have a CU24 anymore), but I tend to think of the guitar by it's intended purpose. My 24 fret guitar is when I pretend I'm playing for Dream Theater, otherwise I'm quite content with 22 frets. In my real life, I very rarely need to play notes that high up.

FWIW, I've had two CU24s and didn't really bond with either of them.

Back