New to PRS guitars

Lol that is me impatient. I want one now. Thanks. I will do my best to sell them and be patient. I have to learn more about all the PRS types and series. Not completely familiar with all of the options yet.
We are all constantly learning about PRS models. There are the staple models of the SE, S2, CE & Core lines but there are usually some new model additions and subtractions every year. Unlike other famous guitar brands, PRS is always evolving and refining the features on their guitars. (This is how some of the knowledgeable members here can accurately date a guitar’s build year without ever looking at the back of the headstock)

But then when you start to learn about the Wood Library and Private Stock guitars, you’ll give up hope on ever being completely knowable about PRS models (unless it’s your full time job to do so) :D

I’m looking forward to seeing your first PRS. I’m especially looking forward to seeing your second PRS (we may start a pool to predict the length of time between the first & second purchases)

Just so you don't get too disappointed by GC's offer, they will only pay you about 40% of historical sales value of what ever you are trading in. Its how they make money by spending money. Now, if you have 2 really nice guitars, you may stand a better chance of making a decent down payment with the trade ins. It really all depends on what you have, what they need, and who does the appraisal.

not true. GC pays around 60% of what it will resell for. You will also get a discount on the new item with most trades. It is built into the system. I think it is 10%.

Don’t rule out getting a used one, Ron, especially now. A lot of people are buying during the pandemic thinking they’ll finally learn how to play guitar. Then they realize they actually have to work on it, and put it aside. We’re starting to see the first wave of that now. Sell the guitars, and you might be able to squeeze up the money for a used S2. While I have and love my SE’s, the S2’s are made in Maryland, and a step up in quality. Happy hunting, and welcome.

Yeah I looked up the styles. Prices are way out of my price range. Looks like an SE is for me.

We live in the same world my man. It is a slippery slope. I want one of everything. Luckily (or unluckily) I have a mean ginger wife that keeps me in check (dammit).:mad: However, the SEs in any flavor, are IMHO, head and shoulders above any the other brands "entry level" guitars on the market.

When I first got into guitars, a friend of mine had a core custom 24. I was blown away by how awesome they looked and felt...until he told me how much his cost. I had all but ignored the cool guitars (with the birdies on the fretboard) and I was literally about to order my first ever guitar when I stumbled upon the SEs. My first was a SE Custom 24 and since then I've been smitten with the brand and the SEs.

I'm just thankful that PRS makes something us "mere mortals" can pretty easily afford. Now, after playing a bunch of different guitars I REALLY appreciate how great the SEs really are!

I am saving for a DGT as we speak, but I'm really stoked there's such a plethora of killer PRS stuff to enjoy while I pinch every penny!

Like others have mentioned, there's tons of PRSi on the used market. Plus, with the whole pandemic thing, the used market will be full of "quitter" guitars at great prices. Keep us posted when you pull it off. We'll be right here to cheer you on no matter which one you end up with... Ya know, because It's how we roll around here!;)

Last edited:
And you can always save up, sell something else you have (I turned a boat into 3 PRSi) and you can use interest free financing with places like Sweetwater during certain times of the year.

Where there's a will there's a way. Go play some across the various lines and do what you have to to get the best one you can swing!

There's a huge difference between the SE line and the custom line. The SEs are really nice guitars,, but if you can get a used core guitar definately do it. They'll pretty cheap on reverb too, just need to look around and do some research.

The core lineup goes something like this from least to most expensive...SE>S2>CE24>Custom 24/McCarty and McCarty 594/DGT/509 or 513. If you want to get into the core lineups at the 1500-2K price range, look into the S2s and CE24s. The S2s are about half American built guitars. They have the 58/15S LT pickups which aren't as good as the American made ones, but theyre significantly cheaper than a real McCarty 594 at around 3K for example.

CE24s made from 2016 to present are basically core guitars made in Maryland but with a slimmer neck and Korean trem. It has the real American 85/15s too. Pre 2016 CEs are all American built, but are no longer made and their specs differ from model to model.

The Custom 24 is the most popular PRS in the core lineup and you can find them used as low as 1500 sometimes. Any of the core models i listed above are really, really good and with PRS you can basically buy blind and never be disappointed with the guitar. I've brought 4 PRS guitars off reverb without ever playing them and have never been disappointed. The biggest thing when it comes to the core lineup is more about what neck, bridge, pickups, knob configuration, body style, or color you want than anything. They're all good guitars.

As others have said, id try to sell your guitars on reverb or ebay first and then find a used core model. You'll probably get a PRS cheaper off reverb too than buying from guitar center.

Edit: after looking at some of your responses, if youre only a budget, id go for a used CE24 or S2. You can find those at around $1200 which is only about $400 more than an SE and theyre much better guitars. Id personally go for the CE24 unless you plan to change pickups cus its stock 85/15s are better pickups. If you like thinner neck profiles, you'll like the CE24 too. If you like thicker neck profiles, the S2 would be better.

To be completely honest. There is no way that I would be able to pull off a guitar on reverb. If my wife saw a thousand dollar guitar I wouldn't live to tell you guys what I got. Lol. She would be ok if I traded what guitars I already have for another guitar. Plus I just got a guitar for Christmas for me and my boys. (I already have to many ) I do like smaller necks. So that is good. I really liked the feel of that se custom. And I might be able to save up a little cash.

To be completely honest. There is no way that I would be able to pull off a guitar on reverb. If my wife saw a thousand dollar guitar I wouldn't live to tell you guys what I got. Lol. She would be ok if I traded what guitars I already have for another guitar. Plus I just got a guitar for Christmas for me and my boys. (I already have to many ) I do like smaller necks. So that is good. I really liked the feel of that se custom. And I might be able to save up a little cash.

That's why it would be a great idea to sell the guitars yourself instead of losing 40-60% of the value of the guitar when you trade in. Post the guitars up on Reverb, FB Marketplace, and Craigslist, and make a much bigger dent on what you can afford. I would think your spouse would be more upset about how much you lost out on by not selling outright versus trading in :) In my experience, that has been more palatable (for both my wife and my bank account), especially when you've purchased the guitar used or got a great deal on a new item.

I am in the same boat as you with the wife. You definitely need to get those old guitars up on craigslist and make a deal with the wife - you need to sell her! Ask nicely if you sell both the guitars (easy to look up on reverb what similar ones go for to gauge how much money you can net) and consolidate to one guitar. Wives love consolidation! If there is a difference left between the winnings and the price of the new axe, hopefully she gets it or you can sweet talk her. Then, get on Guitar Center dot com and peruse the used listings if you can't swing a new one (no shame in used) - they have a great 45 day return policy so you can test drive it and bring it back to a local GC if you don't like it. You will only be out the $30 shipping.

Look at this puppy (appears to be a 2018 model, Great Condition) with a gig bag (some don't include the bag) for $545 near eastern PA - you could even pick this up curbside if you are close to it:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/PRS/CM25-SE-Custom-24-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-116759265.gc

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice and support. I was looking at GC used and was getting confused with the CM4, CM24. C7. 245. All the different ones. I liked the feel of prs se custom 24 zebrawood vintage sunburst. That is what I played at GC. It doesn't have to be the same color but I guess the same style body and neck. If this makes sense.

Back