New to PRS… Choosing model.

Joelc73

Hi all,

I’m new to the brand and somewhat overwhelmed by the myriad of choices. I was thinking about maybe buying 3-4 used SE’s to get a feel for what I like before buying a core. For under $2500 I could grab a good sampling of used SE’s at GC and then probably sell them all without losing much money.

I was thinking of a 245, a 22 and a 24-08.

Do you think that’s a good idea and do you think that’s the right sampling? I really think I’m going to end up with a DGT core but the 245 seems like the only SE option that’s similar. Not a fan of the shorter scale usually but it doesn’t look like there are other options.

Thanks in advance!

I personally would not buy a bunch of SE models. They are totally different from core. Different pickups/parts, not made in the US even though they’re good quality.

If anything start with a used core in excellent condition. The question is what type of music do you like to play? Do you play heavy metal with high gain? Low to medium gain? Clean tones, etc. scale length.…. Answering those questions honestly will be the path to which model/models of core instruments you would be interested in.

As Andrew said, if you’re open to used, used core is probably the better way to go. Your experience with value should be roughly the same if you decide to move a guitar back out.

As for the models, if you think you’ll end up ata DGT, why not start there (other than missing the thrill of the chase)? Beyond that, as Andrew said, we kind of need more info. Anything in the McCarty line would be similar to the DGT, and if you’re thinking 245, the 594s are excellent guitars.

Thanks all. I mostly play classic rock, and some blues and jazz. Feeling like a McCarty or DGT would be a good starting point. I actually would prefer the 25” scale if possible.

I have a strat, a LP, and a kotzen Tele. I probably love the Tele most but could be happy with any of them.

Thanks

Thanks all. I mostly play classic rock, and some blues and jazz. Feeling like a McCarty or DGT would be a good starting point. I actually would prefer the 25” scale if possible.

I have a strat, a LP, and a kotzen Tele. I probably love the Tele most but could be happy with any of them.

Thanks
My personal favorite PRS guitars have 408 TCI pickups. It’s the best of both worlds for the type of music you play. McCarty or DGT yes would be great but I’m going to suggest a Paul’s guitar BUT, if must be a Paul’s guitar post 2018 having the 408 TCI pickups. Original 408 pickups are different. It has 25” scale same as McCarty and DGT.

I am going to include this link to the video to Paul’s 2018 experience Ltd so you can hear how sweet the pickups are on that model you don’t have to get the experience LTD any Paul’s after this model has those pups, just be careful to read that has the 408 TCI pickups.

Thanks all. Oddly enough, that’s where I started thinking but, given this is a bit of an experiment, I’d like to find something for less than $3k.

I haven’t seen a DGT for that price but maybe I’ll go back to looking for a McCarty or even a 22 Custom. Any years or features I should look for?

I hadn’t seen Paul’s guitar before but will definitely check it out.

I would skip the SEs because they can’t prepare you for what’s in store with the core models. I don’t really know what you would gain with the experiment. It’s a very different level of guitar. Buy once (yeah right!) and be happy for a lifetime with the best guitar you can find. :)

I think the coolest SE models are the ones that don’t really have a core equivalent. I personally have 2 SEs along with 3 cores. The SEs I have (Zach Myers and Santana Singlecut with tremolo) are quite unique in the catalogue and cool guitars in their own right. I will say that they are shockingly good guitars, but they still ain’t the same.

The smile I get playing my McCarty 594 or Custom 24 is unmatched by any other guitar.

Maybe try a Custom 24 for the quintessential PRS experience?

Ps. There ARE still killer deals on PRS guitars out there if you have the patience.

Oh, and I want a DGT!

Definitely skip the SEs...they are not telling. Looking at all the other guitars you already have give a custom 24, DGT, 408, Paul's guitars a try. 509/513 are longer than 25" scale..but look them up too.

Now if you intend on selling off your LP eventually....a 594 or SC250 might have you kissing the LP goodbye. Though I've kept both types in my stable...I definitely prefer my PRS singlecut to my 4 LPs...lol.

Also keep in mind that the individual guitars can be different as well...just because one model doesn't float your boat doesn't mean another of the same model won't. Try everything you can get your hands on. Patience will pay off in your scenario.

The "start with a used core model" is very good advice - however you can go to music stores and audition new guitars there as well and that may be easier to find all the different models you're interested in - if you think you want a DGT be sure to play one before you purchase - the DGT neck is noticeably narrower lowE to highE than all other PRS models; it's what David Grissom likes, and got with his signature model. If you have larger hands you may find it somewhat cramped in the first position "cowboy chords" part of the neck. I've read several postings here, and at The Gear Page, where DGT owners sold them off because they just couldn't make good friends with the neck width; it's worth a first hand look. Other than that, the pickups are superb and the guitar can be a dream to play if you can get along with the neck width. You'll feel the difference with any other models necks. The 594 just feels like playing any LP as far as scale length. The 24 fret models would be like playing an SG, the frets get pretty close together up past the 12th fret but you get another whole octave (if you don't play much that high up on the neck it's a moot point). Get your hands on them and be sure you'll be comfortable with them, even used you'll be putting out some decent cash for a guitar that will become a lifetime friend. Good Hunting.

Thanks all. I’ll continue to search Reverb and GC used inventory.

Are there any other good sites for used PRS stuff
In my experience the best deals are usually found in really random stores and through local announcements of some sort. It might take some digging, but there’s gold behind them there mountains!

Thanks guys. I’ve never actually owned a semi hollow. Maybe I’ll explore that more as well. I don’t need a tremolo but wouldn’t pass on an instrument that had one.

Thanks all. I’ll continue to search Reverb and GC used inventory.

Are there any other good sites for used PRS stuff?
I have had 20 - 30 PRS guitars over the 16 years since I contracted the GAS infection. All but 3 of those guitars I found on Craigslist. The prices are better there, and the selection is wide open. You do have to take precautions, but they are fairly straightforward. That's where I would go if I was looking for a used PRS today.

Back