New to PRS… Choosing model.

A 2006 Custom 22 with Dragon II’s
And
A 2010 McCarty Artist with 59/09’s.
I am a Dragon 2 guy (Even having the more coveted Dragon 1s on one of mine before). They are just "my" sound. However, anything starting with a number would be a "newer" pickup. Some would argue that the newer ones are "better". I usually lead people to this shootout. If you go to the page itself, there are time stamps on each one where you can truly A\B them side by side. Unfortunately, this is from 2014, so there weren't any 59/09 pups in this shootout. Only numbered ones were the 57/08 and the 53/10s. But it CERTAINLY has my D2s in there :)

Do you lean more vintage or hi/fi? Dragon's 2 are certainly not vintage mold of the McCarty line. I'd personally go McCarty but that's my preference. The 22 has locking tuners. The older McCarty would need swapping of the tuners if you deem that necessary, although many will say it's unnecessary on a stop tail. Some of us are lazy bastards and still prefer them.

Without a doubt the McCarty. Killer looking guitar. Bonus 5909 for the win! Covered 5909 at that.

This is coming from a trem guy too..

Last edited:
Looking closely at those two, IF investment is part of the thinking, the McCarty will hold more value. The 22 is a non ten top so it won't fetch as much. I know how much the 22 is going for. I don't know how much they are asking for the McCarty. So that could factor in. Also, I would ask the cu22 guy to tell you if the neck is "Wide Fat" or "Wide Thin". The trem 22s had both in that era. And that could also factor into your decision as it affects playability. They weren't doing "pattern" necks yet. The McCarty wouldn't have a wide thin.

The reality is that I am pretty sure, as a first foray into PRS, either one you would get would have you playing for hours on end in full on bliss....

I feel like I’m missing something! LOL
Because that one is almost the TWIN to the CU22 I have already. Mine is just a year newer, with a 10 top. :cool:

dottie_10_13_2021_by_klbryanphotography_desq85x-fullview.jpg

Your top is way nicer. If the one I was looking at had that top, I’d have ordered it already. This one is a bit subdued. And the book match isn’t great… the right side doesn’t have much figuring at all.

Yeah man.....that is what that little tiny "10" at the pointy part of the headstock is all about :)
:cool::D
With quilts this is a more discerning factor than with flame, ateast to me. Either it is spectacular (10 or up) or a little meh. While with flame tops you can get very interesting non 10s, quilt to me is a little harder.

Love my quilt 10 btw

With quilts this is a more discerning factor than with flame, ateast to me. Either it is spectacular (10 or up) or a little meh. While with flame tops you can get very interesting non 10s, quilt to me is a little harder.

Love my quilt 10 btw
Tops are one of those things that I either digg it when I see it, or I don't. There are some that, for all intents and purposes, I SHOULD like, but I just don't. And others that would not be how I would draw it up if I had my choice, but, for some reason they just appeal to me. As much as people say a guitar is just a tool, and that what it LOOKS like has nothing to do with how it sounds. But, I must admit, I am a bit shallow when it comes to that. I wanna LIKE what I SEE as well as what I hear and feel when playing it.

You guys will probably kick me out of the club for saying this, but… I’ve been looking at a lot of PRS guitars over the last week or so and I’ve seen a few book matched tops that didn’t look great… The lines weren’t always lined up well. Even on 10 tops. Not that the figure wasn’t nice but that they looked liked two different tops.

Clearly it didn’t bother me enough to stop me from buying one!

I’m sure it’s my OCD. I’m glad I found one I like though!

Back