New to PRS… Choosing model.

Another item to consider is the CE line! Basically a core guitar, but with a price when new significantly less than equivalent core models! Bolt on necks and one of the best values in the PRS lineup from what many have said!! As for used (on CE or any other stuff), Sweetwater has a used gear site now as well that you may want to check out!!! Best of luck and welcome to the addiction club! Once you PRS, you'll never settle for less!!!

Not that my 2 cents matters at all, but I think everyone here knows that I am in the camp of the USED core Custom 22 ;)

pumpkin_2_by_klbryanphotography_dfgd7lw-fullview.jpg

FIVE NINE FOUR, hands down.

I traditionally could never get along with 24.5-inch scale guitars, always veered towards the 25-inch until I bought my first 594. I’ve never looked back. The 594 is the most playable, best sounding, most versatile guitar made on Earth. I play my 594s easily ten times more than my other PRS. To each their own, but you should bust that cherry before making your decision. There are so many tones available in each PRS, I recommend settling on one and exploring all its secrets. We know you’ll buy more. No worries.

Last edited:
Another vote for used core and if you are not hung up on a tremolo: go mccarty. Love mine.

Nothing wrong with the SE's, I own one and love it, but if you have the finances for a Core, or S2 or CE then I would recommend one great guitar rather than a few good guitars. My SE is great, but its not my CU24 or Mira core guitars.

Ok. I’m on the hunt for a McCarty or a CU22. Great tip on the Sweetwater used site.

Looks like I should plan to pay close to $3k. Was hoping to put a toe in first but it may not play out that way.

I’ve played bass most of my life so I have a nice collection of Fodera’s and Sadowsky’s. I know all too well what a slippery slope this is!

Ok. I’m on the hunt for a McCarty or a CU22. Great tip on the Sweetwater used site.

Looks like I should plan to pay close to $3k. Was hoping to put a toe in first but it may not play out that way.

I’ve played bass most of my life so I have a nice collection of Fodera’s and Sadowsky’s. I know all too well what a slippery slope this is!
Well, I'd say that should be a very nice used guitar. Used should be a little less

2500-3K gets you a big variety of guitars Custom 22 and 24s , McCarty , Fiore , Vela , Santana , 408 , 513 , Silver Sky , SCT , 245 , 250 , SC-58.
Frankly it does not matter where you start because will end up with more no matter what you own now.
Some dealers deal in lots more used guitars like Chicago Music exchange and Daves Guitars ( wisconsin )

Thanks all. I’ll continue to search Reverb and GC used inventory.

Are there any other good sites for used PRS stuff?

Dave's Guitars, Chicago Music Exchange (especially after one of bodia's periodic purges!). Some other dealers handle used as well, but in my experience, those two tend to have pretty good selections.

Found a couple close contenders. Quick question… I’m looking at one that is supposed to be an artist model but there’s no 10 on the back of the headstock. Is that normal? The top looks really strong and could be an Artist. Just not sure.

Found a couple close contenders. Quick question… I’m looking at one that is supposed to be an artist model but there’s no 10 on the back of the headstock. Is that normal? The top looks really strong and could be an Artist. Just not sure.
"artist" models don't have the "10" because their tops are a grade above the ten top models.

"artist" models don't have the "10" because their tops are a grade above the ten top models.
Thanks for the quick response. Is there any way to confirm an Artist model?

Is there any real cache to an Artist beyond a normal Custom?

If you have the serial number you can email PRS and they usually get back in 24 hours or so with the history that they have on file. If you have the MODCAT you can do it yourself by going here.....(but if you don't have the hang tags with the modcat on it, you will have to pull the pickup and look in the well that is routed out. It would be in there.

Also, a lot of the artist models (but not all) have either gold or hybrid hardware.

Again… I cannot thank you all enough.

I know this is impossible to answer but I’ll ask anyway! Lol

I’m looking at two.

A 2006 Custom 22 with Dragon II’s
And
A 2010 McCarty Artist with 59/09’s.

Both are low 2k’s but the McCarty is about 15% more expensive.

I like the colors on both. The CU22 has a trem (nice to have but probably won’t use it).

What would you do?

Assuming both in good condition and without testing: the McCarty. But that is strictly personal preference. The looks would be better (probably), I like McCarties, and the PUs are aguably a notch above the dragon IIs

Again… I cannot thank you all enough.

I know this is impossible to answer but I’ll ask anyway! Lol

I’m looking at two.

A 2006 Custom 22 with Dragon II’s
And
A 2010 McCarty Artist with 59/09’s.

Both are low 2k’s but the McCarty is about 15% more expensive.

I like the colors on both. The CU22 has a trem (nice to have but probably won’t use it).

What would you do?

You are deep in to the personal preferences realm here, my friend! The Artist will have a higher rated top. There will be a difference between the pickups, obviously, but someone else will have to address those. Personally, if I have a trem option, I go there if all else is equal. I don't consider myself to be a big trem user, but damn if I don't reach for it almost every time I pick up a stop tale.

Disclaimer: Of course, the Official PRS Forum Answer To A Choice Question (tm) is - buy both. You know you wanna!

Back