New to me SE Day - El Blackie-o 2 Electric Boogaloo

John Beef

Opaque
I kinda stumbled onto this one, a 2009 Tremonti SE. I was browsing the used listing on Guitar Center's site looking at available PRSi as I do from time to time. It was available in Colorado and I happen to have a friend who plays guitar and works within walking distance of the store. He checked it out for me and gave it the green light, so I pulled the trigger because hey, it's a whole guitar for the price of a good set of pickups.

The guitar is in immaculate condition. I can't find a ding or scratch anywhere. No case or gig bag with it, which is a bit of a bummer, but c'est la vie. GC did a good job packing it and making sure it didn't get effed during shipping. I like the neck, it is a bit beefier than a normal wide fat which is right up my alley.

The strings were oooooollllllllllddddddddd, positively geriatric. I could strum them unplugged and across the living room my wife could hear how bad they sounded. Taking them off, the undersides had buildup I could feel. I mean, GC could have restrung it and gotten 50 or 100 bucks more for it. There was crust on the fretboard as well, which was kinda gross but cleaned up with an old toothbrush and some natural orange oil. Also I removed the neck pickup cover you see in the pic, it fit very badly. It wasn't waxed or soldered in place, so it just slid it off. The pickups are the original G&B PRS SE pickups.

So for now I strung it with 11s to evaluate it. I'm familiar with the pickups so it'll be a fair evaluation. The truss rod didn't need an adjustment but the nut's slots needed to be opened up a touch. I need to work a little more on the high E which sitars on the open string but not fretted, definitely a nut issue and definitely something I caused when I opened the slot. Just restringing it, setting up the action and starting work on the intonation, it sounds pretty good unplugged. By the time I got to that point last night it was after 10:00 with the kids in bed so I haven't plugged it in yet.

[FONT=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Then plan is to have a low tuned guitar, tuned B to B like my baritone but with the scale length that's more comfortable to me. If it passes my evaluation at band practice this weekend, I'll go ahead with a pickup swap probably with some I have around, a bridge swap (purchase required first) for an adjustable tonepros, and maybe other stuff. I'd like to split the coils on the pickups so I need to decide how to go about doing that. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Crappy cell phone pic is all I've got at the moment. Pictured with it's black brethren.
[/FONT]
IMG_20121212_175342.jpg

Nice! A Tremonti was the guitar that sold me on the SE line, it had to go only because the John Beef mod would not work with a natural headstock color.

Hahaa. What, they don't make natural mahogany wood grain colored electrical tape?

I forgot to post it, but I also performed the mod that I guess has been named after me!

John Beef!! The guy I sold my Mushok baritone to! How are you man!? How's the Bari treating you? You know I've regretted more than enough times selling that, and have come real close to picking up another. What a great guitar. But at 5"5 it wasn't easy reaching down for first position! I remember that.

Soon I get to post the Custom 22 I just bought, on its way right now. Whale blue! I'm excited. Take care John and have a great holiday.

Excellent! I'm good, thanks! Yep, I still have the baritone. It's been a great instrument! I have it set up with an 8k Fralin humbucker in the neck and a Suhr SSV+ in the bridge and it sounds really good. You can hear it on our record (link is in my signature), songs 5, 6, and 7 all have the baritone on it.

Nice, I love my CU22, that's a great guitar in a great color.

Last edited:
Back