New (to me) SE 245 - Quality Question

mpcart

I just received a used '18 Whale Blue SE 245 today. My first electric for a beginning guitar player. It is a beautiful guitar but it has what looks like glue under the clear coat at the edge of the frets. Not on the fretboard but on top of the neck where the fret dots are. I'm thinking about returning it for a new one because the blemishes kind of bug me - but if this is typical then I'd rather take my savings and live with it. I'd have to pay for return shipping.

I can't post pics as I'm new but maybe someone knows what I"m talking about.

I don't know if this is just a cosmetic issue or some sort of future de-lamination problem. The frets on the underside of the neck do not have these marks.

Thanks for your help.

-Mike

Most likely cosmetic...but pics would be nice to see to be sure. It is kinda rare (I've never heard of it happening to anyone) even for lower end guitars (especially SE) for the fret board to delaminate.

32914939477_9fa0b926fb_z.jpg

Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/photos/43726145@N00/

I purchased it online and will all the dealer in the AM. It is used so I know some cosmetic issues are to be expected. I just wasn't sure if this is kind of typical.

-Mike

Yea...this should have been disclosed in the sale. It's probably cosmetic..but that is very bad looking. Something happened for it to look that way.

It looks like the finish is delaminating in several spots, certainly not normal. I would return it because it could possibly get worse and start flaking off with use.

Otherwise, a nice looking guitar.

Fret sprout from humidity changes anywhere in storage at owners or whatever. If you've had it in your house for a week the board can shrink and push the frets sideways, here fracturing the finish. That's the first I've seen. I own 'more than one' PRS SE ...

If it was that way as soon as you opened it then send it back, if you've had it for days and it showed up your place is much drier than wherever the guitar has been most of its prior life.

Eventually the finish may flake off in those spots so you'd need to spot sand to smooth out. You could drop fill if that happens (look up youtube stew mac video drop fill)

If it's going to bug you a lot then work through sending it back and search for another guitar.

It was delivered this evening so definitely not my doing. I’ll probably return it and just get a new one. Unfortunately the whale blue look backordered most places so I may have to wait.

The dealer (not sure if I’m allowed to mention names) seems pretty known and has a no questions asked return policy. So it just costs me shipping and hassle.

- Mike

i’d be annoyed. it’s 2019, why don’t people take enough pictures? like of the whole product.

It was delivered this evening so definitely not my doing. I’ll probably return it and just get a new one. Unfortunately the whale blue look backordered most places so I may have to wait.

The dealer (not sure if I’m allowed to mention names) seems pretty known and has a no questions asked return policy. So it just costs me shipping and hassle.

- Mike

Well, it all worked out . . . the dealer took the guitar back with no hassle and explained that the previous owner had let the guitar sit in a dry climate and that caused the issue. In any case, I went ahead and ordered a brand new one - exact same specs just a 2019 model and it arrived today in perfect condition. Just like the 2018 model, the 2019 model seems to just make a lot of noise . . . . must be the skills of the player and not the guitar.

Off to practice!

-Mile

Back