New (to me) '97 CE22 needs some TLC

Planter

I just picked this up for a really great price. I'm really happy with this guitar considering what I paid for it.

However I does need some TLC the pickup ring screws are stripped and rusted. Its also in dire need of a cleaning its filthy. It's also missing the back plate for the trem system. The frets also need some attention as well. Overall there is some work to do but

Anyone know where I can find a backplate and set of screws that is a direct fit?

I also put on a nickel pickup cover to give me an idea of how the guitar would look with covers. I like it and I think on going to put them on.

Perfect that's what I'm looking for I never would have guessed that the s2 parts are a direct fit on a 20 year old CE thank you very much. Now I have to decide on the stock black ones or the ivory rings and backplate....

The headstock look battered, but the top looks good.
New photos when you get it set up please.

Yeah the headstock is a disaster but the pictures make it look worse than it is. It's mostly covered in gunk. I'm hoping a good cleaning and a little touch up here and there will get looking pretty again

What do you guys think about the pickup covers? Yes or no?

I have to say these dragon pickups scream it's quite a different flavor compared to the 85/15's I'm used to but in a good way.

Nice guitar.

Don’t be afraid to play it; it’s bound to get a ding eventually (so I’m told).

Lol there is more than a ding on this thing. Tons of fun the play though that maple neck feels so good

COOL GUITAR!!!! What do you think of the dragon 1 pickups?

I see you commented on the pickups. They are very different from the 8515s for sure.

I have three 97 CEs with one being like yours only in black burst.

When I got my black burst the neck PU wouldn't sit level, like it was hitting on something.

Somebody had neck off and put the long screws where the short ones were supposed to be. Easy fix but lucky nothing was damaged.

Probably be HFS and vintage pups, Dragons were for CU22’s of that era unless someone swapped them in. Plus they look better without covers on CE’s. Should sound huge with the HFS.

Nope this one has dragons. At least I can confirm the neck pickup. I'm not able to pull the bridge pickup out yet. The bridge pickup sounds great I suspect that it's a dragon as well.

[/QUOTE]

Probably be HFS and vintage pups, Dragons were for CU22’s of that era unless someone swapped them in. Plus they look better without covers on CE’s. Should sound huge with the HFS.
The HFS/VB is what ce24 came with, ce22 came with drag 1s during that Era.

As far as I know, the next move for CE/CU 22s would have been dragon 2s.

Of course, there could be exceptions like guitars being ordered with different PUs.

Nice, that looks well-loved.

If it's just the pickup ring screws you want, and not new rings, I have some laying around I can send you. Just PM me an address.

That is very generous of you thank you. I'll let you know if I will need them. It looks like they are already included with the rings though.

That is very generous of you thank you. I'll let you know if I will need them. It looks like they are already included with the rings though.

They are. I've bought rings a couple of times, which is why I now have an abundance of screws. :cool:

The modern style rings are great, so I don't think you'd regret the upgrade. Just depends on how original you're trying to keep it.

Back