new to forum but second post/ should i or not

STRATHUMPER5150

i have the 2002 custom 24 and love the neck, the pickups, tuners, body weight and over all feel but hate the 5 way rotary as this is starting to pop a little, if i were to change the system to a 3 way with push pull would that decrease the value of the guitar? and i noticed there is a standard 3 way push push pull replacement and a macarty push pull what is the difference? im torn if not to go to a lespaul as i dont really care for the splitting but i know its there if i need it in a push pull but feel the rotary would be a nitemare live,as i would really tend to use the 1,3,5 mostly anyway and only use the splitters for more single coil tones, im also going to have to get strap locks i dont care for those buttons... one last thing i have inquired on buying new saddles as the last three have some tarnish wear, it looks like brushed finish but not real sure which saddles to buy, i kinda like the saddles with the brass inserts but im sure if that would be feesable as i would have to change the whole set, anyone actually changed over to the 3 way is it alot of soldiering? thanks sorry for the disorganized questions..

I did it to 2 of my PRS guitars and the value did not go down. This is relative to the used Market though. I also prefer the 3-Way and it was a relatively simple mod. One does have to enlarge the hole a bit to get the 3-way Toggle to fit. The cut it smaller for the 5-way rotary.

I use the McCarty switching drop in from the PRS store on all 5way rotary PRS I acquire. Never had any problems re-selling.

If it doesn't work for ya, change it & keep the old parts. You can always drop the rotary back it even with the hole enlarged. I've done it on my cu22. I'd recommend not using a drill to enlarge the hole as there's a slight risk of clear coat chipping.

what did you use?
This was 17 years ago, before I really worked on my own guitars at all, so I had a shop do it. I saw them do it with a hand reamer something like this - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Tuner_installation/Peghole_Reamers.html
I can't say that's the exact tool, but that's what it looked like. Not saying you couldn't use a drill, but just be aware of the risk. I don't think you'd want the high speed most drills have? I'm no expert and there are other people who can probably offer better/more advice than me. I can't imagine it would cost much, if you had the controls removed, to take it into a luthier or reputable repair shop with the toggle and have em enlarge the hole.

thanks for the responses everyone,i know there is a standard 3 way with push pull for custom 24 (not se) and the McCarty 3 way push pull does any one know the difference? was wondering if the standard 3-way there would be no drop in mods needed,but if the quality was better than the McCarty drop in kit with some slight modding? also im still having a hard time deciding which saddle replacements would be best, they offer chrome, nickle and nickle and brass, black graphite, string saver etc.. im going to install all new instead of replacing 3 pretty tarnished ones.

Last edited:
Do it!!! I did it to my 1996 Custom 22 and instantly fell in love with it, but I have no plans to sell so "value" is not a concern of mine... By the way, I used a pencil with sandpaper wrapped around it to enlarge the hole and it worked like a charm...

when switching over to the drop in mccarty did anyone experience noise switching around say if staying in 1,2,3 how quite? then jumping in and out of splitting any noise there? thanks!

Do it!!! I did it to my 1996 Custom 22 and instantly fell in love with it, but I have no plans to sell so "value" is not a concern of mine... By the way, I used a pencil with sandpaper wrapped around it to enlarge the hole and it worked like a charm...
that actually sounds like a safe, inexpensive way...good thinking.

when switching over to the drop in mccarty did anyone experience noise switching around say if staying in 1,2,3 how quite? then jumping in and out of splitting any noise there? thanks!
if the tone knob is pulled to tap the coils, you will hear normal single coil buzz(that's the beauty of the rotary switch wiring-eliminates buzz). Not sure what you mean by "staying in 1,2,3.

sorry 1,3,5,. so it is alot quiter with the rotary? mmmm boy thats one id have to think about even if it cuts the single coil noise down any i use a comp with the splitters so maybe the rotatry is a quiter deal? i want it easier but i do want the beauty of the splitters engaged to be purer if that make sense, i know it dont really get the strat tones nailed or tele but its close enough just not real quacky. maybe i need to put less in the switching system and spend more on the saddles?
the rotary is it think dying out by popping when switched to any position.

what is the difference in the two offered wiring kits? on is standard push pull the other is mc carty push pull part acc4120 is this what i should be ordering? i see them from $52.99 to $149.99 which kit did you guys order and what was the price?
thanks

sorry 1,3,5,. so it is alot quiter with the rotary? mmmm boy thats one id have to think about even if it cuts the single coil noise down any i use a comp with the splitters so maybe the rotatry is a quiter deal? i want it easier but i do want the beauty of the splitters engaged to be purer if that make sense, i know it dont really get the strat tones nailed or tele but its close enough just not real quacky. maybe i need to put less in the switching system and spend more on the saddles?
the rotary is it think dying out by popping when switched to any position.
There's no single coil hum with the rotary. With the 3 way toggle switching, you will likely hear a slight buzz while you are not playing. That is the case with all normal single coils and coil tapped humbuckers(unless designed noiseless or wired like PRS rotary). I haven't had a rotary knob in a guitar for a long time. I can't remember if there's a popping sound when switching positions or not. I wouldn't change the saddles, tarnish isn't hurting anything. It's natural wear and will probably happen again.
I'll send you a PM on price question.

Back