New to acoustics Advice ?

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
I have been playing for 2 years Strictly Prs electrics. I suck but it’s a blast. I have an old fender acoustic I inherited. Been trying to play it and WTF. !! Totally awkward Can’t really get comfortable holding it. Hard to see strings below fret 3 Etc. Etc. Almost like a different instrument from the electric Setup is good.
So I’m hoping this is just a matter of putting in the time and eventually things will come around. What do you think? Any tips ?
FYI. I went to. A store today and played a bunch of acoustics to see what felt good.
Played the SE A40. Really nice sound and of course beauteous like you expect from. Prs. It felt a lot better than the fender but still same awkwardness A couple of Taylor’s felt slightly better to
Me but the sound was nowhere near the warmth of the A40. IMO
Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

Hey Frank! If you've only ever played electrics, and only PRS at that, you're going to have some adjusting to do.

There's a world of difference between the two. Everything from setup, strings, neck profile, nut width, scale length, intonation, action, etc; they're all completely different. Muting, 2-3 point hold, balance, etc. It takes me a few minutes to go from my PRS to a Gibson/Fender, etc. It take a mental shift to go from an electric to acoustic.

Many people (myself included) feel that electrics are just EASIER to play than acoustics. If you pick up an acoustic and feel like a newbie all over again, don't worry - that's normal. :D
I will say, after running exercises on an acoustic for a while, everything is just FASTER and SIMPLER when I go back to my electric.

Hey Frank! If you've only ever played electrics, and only PRS at that, you're going to have some adjusting to do.

There's a world of difference between the two. Everything from setup, strings, neck profile, nut width, scale length, intonation, action, etc; they're all completely different. Muting, 2-3 point hold, balance, etc. It takes me a few minutes to go from my PRS to a Gibson/Fender, etc. It take a mental shift to go from an electric to acoustic.

Many people (myself included) feel that electrics are just EASIER to play than acoustics. If you pick up an acoustic and feel like a newbie all over again, don't worry - that's normal. :D
I will say, after running exercises on an acoustic for a while, everything is just FASTER and SIMPLER when I go back to my electric.
Thanks man. I appreciate it !

Second Frank's advice, Doug.

He's absolutley right - if you've mainly played the one, a shift to the other is going to be a zinger for a while. I have the opposite problem - I am solely an acoustic player who wants to start doing some electric playing.

Having said that, the new PRS SEs' are VERY nice guitars and have the added bonus of having a neck profile that is fuller in the hand and probably closer to what you're used to on your electric. I own a PS Angelus AND a T50e and absolutely love them. While Taylors are very nice ( I've owned no less than 5!), they have quite a narrow neck thickness from fretboard to back. Not my cup of tee anymore.

Just keep at it - you'll be astounded at how well you'll be playing acoustic guitar in no time. And that A40e may just be exactly what you need, bud.

Perhaps a slightly different perspective will help here. Not trying to be flippant, but just to open your mind.

It makes sense that the acoustic would be uncomfortable. The acoustic comes with the amplifier installed on the guitar. Put your amp in your lap and then pick up and play your electric. If that were the standard, the acoustic as it is now would be pretty darn efficient. Once you get used to the sound box, it feels pretty normal.

I have one of the new Martin SC13e's. An electric players dream acoustic. It feels like an electric. I love it. About three years ago PRS announced some news that their acoustic guitars were going to rev up. It never materialized or I read to much into it They did come out though with some great SE's. I was expecting some core acoustics with some cutting edge advancements like the SC13E or a 12 string. The Martin SC is a game changer as acoustics go for electric players. I guess PRS cant have all the best stuff, but I am optimistic!

I am mainly an acoustic player ( 3 Martins as well as an old Guild 12 string ), and yes, they are completely different from an electric. I tend to play electrics with a "heavy hand" and need to remember that it takes a lighter touch. You may enjoy some of the Taylor line as the necks on many of them have more of an electric guitar feel to them. Just a matter of getting used to playing, you may find that changing from one type to another actually adds to your skills and to your sonic palette.

About three years ago PRS announced some news that their acoustic guitars were going to rev up. It never materialized or I read to much into it They did come out though with some great SE's. I was expecting some core acoustics with some cutting edge advancements like the SC13E or a 12 string.

I have to agree with Audie here. I, too, would love to see the Cores back and will probably be first in line for a PRS 12-string acoustic. I would also LOVE to have PRS release an acoustic with a 1 and 3/4 inch nut width, as the current SE 1 11/16 is not exactly fingerstyle friendly. Having said that, I just acquired a T50e and it is stellar, even when compared to other well known brands that are priced slightly higher. With regards to your acoustic options Frank, Audie may just be spot on - the SC13e is an acoustic you should strongly consider, given that it was designed very much with the electric player in mind, if you listen to the reviews. It is priced a little higher than an A60e or T60e, but it has a 1 3/4 inch nut width which is why I would also give it a second glance, even though I prefer modern voiced acoustics.

There are some very nice acoustics available that would have cost significantly more for the same level of instrument 10 years ago.

For years, I played 17” archtops and found flattops uncomfortable to play. See if you can find a PRS Alex Lifeson AL15 to play. It’s my only flattop, and I believe the only one I’ll ever need. The body is not as deep.

Back