New Super Eagle - 529 variants? Mayer and Dead & Co last night

I knew I could count on this forum to have a thread on this.

Noteworthy in the Morning Dew video above, Mayer seemed to use only the neck pickup of his 594 Triple Bucker Eagle thing on that song.

At Hollywood bowl he used two guitars I could see (likely also a Silver Sky at times) - the 594-ish triple bucker thing above and a semi hollow more Super Eagle switched looking model: Skip to 6:33 for a pretty good shot of it.
Can anyone guess the pickups at 8:23 - 8:27?
They do not look like PRS pickups to me ...

I'm definitely a fan of Dead & Co but I was a little disappointed when I saw them because the song tempos were all a bit slow. It didn't prevent me from buying tickets to the Wrigley Field though. I'm ready.

62038000_10157302843676252_1346073781705113600_n.jpg

61934875_10157302843516252_7091135707439169536_n.jpg

62222731_10157302843771252_8566946501102665728_n.jpg

Dig the triple covered pickup “594”, Mayer sounding superb with it....he’s really gotten inside this music giving it new life. Enjoy the tour, hope to hear more about this guitar!

Great shots! Love how the amps are laying on their backs! Like they’re playing for a higher cause!
A guitarist I follow was talking about how when he cranked his Marshall the loud volume would do a "particular thing with the speakers" that he loved but it would be louder than the PA when pointed forward. He would tip the cabinet towards the ceiling so the sound guy had something to work with. Now he plays an Axe FX 3.

A guitarist I follow was talking about how when he cranked his Marshall the loud volume would do a "particular thing with the speakers" that he loved but it would be louder than the PA when pointed forward. He would tip the cabinet towards the ceiling so the sound guy had something to work with. Now he plays an Axe FX 3.

I have been wondering about the placement of Weirs amps. It can't be a volume thing because that is why he has the 2 UA OX Boxes. I know with Wolf Brothers he toured in small very nicely acoustically complemented theaters and used the amps facing up. It appears he has settled on just a standard placement the last few shows.

I'm definitely a fan of Dead & Co but I was a little disappointed when I saw them because the song tempos were all a bit slow. It didn't prevent me from buying tickets to the Wrigley Field though. I'm ready.

Part of the tempo thing I hear is for Bob to sing some of the songs better as for instance the intro to Trucking at the old tempo was sure a mouthful to spit out.
It has varied, 2017 SLC slowest Row Jimmy I ever heard but it was very dynamic and interesting also. This past Friday and Sat at the Gorge was a great tempo for them. I hope it stays there.

Remember, If you get confused just listen to the music play!

Yes, looks like Mayer is using two new different PRS set ups that are not last year's Super Eagle. Both with 3 pickups but the switching and bodies are different. Anyone got the scoop on their details? Super Eagle 3?

Saw Dead&Co. JM played the new PRS on every song for nearly 3 1/2 hours. Incredibly versatile guitar. What is this thing? He spends almost all the time on the neck pickup which has the flutey tone that I associate with a good single-coil.

Last edited:
Mayer is playing “Wolf” (one of Garcia’s Doug Irwin guitars. The first, IIRC). As much as I love Garcia’s playing and music, I have to say, Mayer’s PRSs sound better, more alive and present, to my ears.
Still, it’s a really cool tribute
Info on Wolf by its creator, for anyone interested
http://www.dozin.com/jers/guitars/wolf/wolf.htm

Last edited:
Mayer is playing “Wolf” (one of Garcia’s Doug Irwin guitars. The first, IIRC). As much as I love Garcia’s playing and music, I have to say, Mayer’s PRSs sound better, more alive and present, to my ears.
Still, it’s a really cool tribute

I agree. I think the new PRS, with the pickup selector up top, that Mayer has been using on the current tour sounds better than Wolf did tonight. Maybe Mayer didn't have time to dial it in enough. So what is Mayer's new PRS???

Back