New Super Eagle - 529 variants? Mayer and Dead & Co last night

DogPhishHead

SJM-L-DEADCO-0602-311.jpg
SJM-L-DEADCO-0602-4.jpg

Shoreline , California last night. Looks to be a 529 meets Super Eagle in John ‘s hands. Perhaps a revamped Super Eagle on the stand, with three exposed humbuckers. Of course, that Dumble ODS too.

Last edited:
I went to this evening’s (June 1) concert, and I have to say they seriously brought it. The Dead’s (in all incarnations, but with the GD, representing the “platonic” mould)unique sound and musical ethos was in brilliant form- if you don’t like them, that’s a different discussion.
A stark contrast to the bits of the previous night’s performance, where, in my opinion, they REALLY struggled to get anything going. But that’s the risk and thrill of unscripted music
Silver Sky opened things up with Bertha-amusingly also the name of my Uber driver to the show. And the three pickup 594 seemed to fail him mid tune at one point. However, it returned in a couple of tunes

Last edited:
The Silver Sky sounded thin and small in the mix to me.It did however sound nice on some lead runs on Good lovin'.

I knew I could count on this forum to have a thread on this.

Noteworthy in the Morning Dew video above, Mayer seemed to use only the neck pickup of his 594 Triple Bucker Eagle thing on that song.

At Hollywood bowl he used two guitars I could see (likely also a Silver Sky at times) - the 594-ish triple bucker thing above and a semi hollow more Super Eagle switched looking model: Skip to 6:33 for a pretty good shot of it.

I knew I could count on this forum to have a thread on this.

Noteworthy in the Morning Dew video above, Mayer seemed to use only the neck pickup of his 594 Triple Bucker Eagle thing on that song.

At Hollywood bowl he used two guitars I could see (likely also a Silver Sky at times) - the 594-ish triple bucker thing above and a semi hollow more Super Eagle switched looking model: Skip to 6:33 for a pretty good shot of it.
And that ODS sounding SO fine with all of them.

Back