New Standard Tuning ala Robert Fripp, anyone tried? And if so on what PRS

Max Headroom

The jacka$$ formerly known as AceRimmer
Intrigued by this New Standard Tuning and even purchased a string set to try it but not got as far as deciding what guitar if any to try it on.
So has anyone given it a spin and if so what model did you try it on?

New standard tuning https://g.co/kgs/UD2opJ

Reactions: jxe
Fripp is nuts, in a good way. I've been reading about this tuning for a while now. It seems like less movement for a greater range of nodes but I have an issue with re learning guitar when I'm just cracking the code on standard tuning.

Now you've got me thinking...is this why I have so many guitars? Should I just dedicate to one "Fripp" guitar?

Thanks for posting this as a reminder and restarting the gears.

Fripp is nuts, in a good way. I've been reading about this tuning for a while now. It seems like less movement for a greater range of nodes but I have an issue with re learning guitar when I'm just cracking the code on standard tuning.

Now you've got me thinking...is this why I have so many guitars? Should I just dedicate to one "Fripp" guitar?

Thanks for posting this as a reminder and restarting the gears.
Now I am in about the same boat as you here, in fact even Fripp himself wondered on the logic of it as he had to relearn all of his King Crimson material in his new tuning.
But yes the less movement for more range is what also appealed to myself.
13 guitars...yes one should be dedicated to this task...lol

tried this on acoustics back when i so into art prog, in the end i could not handle it. in fact it looks like his whole crew of crafty guitarists (what is it with the english?) has a hard time. why would you want to move less at a rock show?

tried this on acoustics back when i so into art prog, in the end i could not handle it. in fact it looks like his whole crew of crafty guitarists (what is it with the english?) has a hard time. why would you want to move less at a rock show?
Lol, have you ever seen Wishbone Ash live on stage?
I was thinking someone might need to prod one of them to see if they were still alive.
But seriously, it's been worming its way into my brain since I read about it a while back and was seeing if there was any merit to it to be worth the effort.

I was thinking someone might need to prod one of them to see if they were still alive.
But seriously, it's been worming its way into my brain since I read about it a while back and was seeing if there was any merit to it to be worth the effort.
oh, i am sure it has merit -- for robert. i have a hard time with stuff like open g and dropped d.

i read an interview where belew says whatever sig the band is playing he's always in 4/4.

Fripp is an interesting guy, to say the absolute least. When it comes to things musical, I'm not sure I've seen anyone else who's as devoted to his music other than Frank Zappa. I just watched a King Crimson documentary, and it's really fascinating to hear Fripp talk about some of that stuff. I did pick up his Guitar Circle book, but haven't looked at it yet. I'd have loved to have gone to his Q&A here last year, but we were visiting my daughter for a wedding at the time - I didn't relish the idea of 8 hours of driving to race to get back here.

And for a guy with as much of a rigid, unemotional persona onstage, his Sunday Lunch videos with his wife, Toyah Willcox, are such a revelatory look at a different side of the man. It's definitely not the kind of thing you'd expect from him. And on-topic (a rarity, I know), I've watched some of the video with an eye to how he translated some of the songs to his tuning, and...he doesn't. He plays some of them in standard tuning, which really surprised me the first time I realized it.

Worked for his Sister Patricia, in San Francisco years ago and heard some cool stories. She herself had that “ something “..

Reactions: jxe
First I have heard of this tuning. I can see how that would change everything about playing that I have spent years with. I really wonder if learning it would be beneficial at this point in life.

Yes I agree...it's one of the reasons I have not bitten the bullet and tried it yet... got as far as buying strings but that's it.
First I have heard of this tuning. I can see how that would change everything about playing that I have spent years with. I really wonder if learning it would be beneficial at this point in life.

Yes every year! One of the few bands that still puts out great music recorded or live. And btw pretty good for old guy’s. And you can talk to them after a show.

So I finally decided to string a guitar up this morning with the set for this tuning I had acquired and set it up .
I couldn't bring myself to do it to any of my PRS or LP or Strat so picked one of my daughters Schecter's.. after all she is thousands of miles away in Hawaii so she can't argue with me:cool:.

What can I say but ..hmmm.
Forget everything you think you know if you try this tuning is all I can say so far!
It's... interesting is best I can say ATM.
See if I can stick with it to at least produce tunes that are meaningful.

Well, Fripp and Zappa are probably my two all time favorite guitarists, but I don't think I can go down this rabbit hole! Interesting to read about though, and it makes me realize why "Discipline" and so much other KC material just had a "different" sound to it. I have known about the League of Crafty Guitarists for years (and used to have one of their albums on vinyl), but never realized this tuning sorcery was in play! Thanks for sharing this intriguing concept and I am looking forward to listening to what may be produced by AceRimmer and anyone else who has the ability and cajonas to tackle it!!!

Back