New Standard Tuning ala Robert Fripp, anyone tried? And if so on what PRS

I enjoy watching Fripp play on the Sunday Lunch series w/his wife. It's interesting to watch him play some of these tunes in NST, but every now and then, he plays in standard tuning. I've never tried his NST, but I wouldn't be opposed. For the most part, though, when I've done alternate tunings, I'm not playing by the notes - it's more shape and interval driven. And I'm not sure I've ever tried to really solo in an alternate tuning other than Drop-D.

Sounds intriguing...yet at this time, I'm currently exploring an open G minor tuning...D6 G5 D4 G3 B♭2 D1. The reason for this is because my current inspiration is Casper Esmann, a modest and reserved Scandinavian acoustic guitarist who is wowing audiences in Europe.

Here's some of his work...though he's got his guitar tuned to drop G minor (C6 G5 D4 G3 B♭2 D1)

Well, Fripp and Zappa are probably my two all time favorite guitarists, but I don't think I can go down this rabbit hole! Interesting to read about though, and it makes me realize why "Discipline" and so much other KC material just had a "different" sound to it. I have known about the League of Crafty Guitarists for years (and used to have one of their albums on vinyl), but never realized this tuning sorcery was in play! Thanks for sharing this intriguing concept and I am looking forward to listening to what may be produced by AceRimmer and anyone else who has the ability and cajonas to tackle it!!!
I have all of KC albums on DVD-A and on the Discipline album there is a three track live video from a session The Old Grey Whistle Test.
After watching this I felt like just throwing all my guitars out of the window.
Fripp was just sat down with his fingers moving at lightning speed around the frets and he was not once even glancing at what he was doing on the frets!
Waaahhhh :oops:

I have all of KC albums on DVD-A and on the Discipline album there is a three track live video from a session The Old Grey Whistle Test.
Fripp was just sat down with his fingers moving at lightning speed around the frets and he was not once even glancing at what he was doing on the frets!

The work some of these guys put in is unreal. In the new KC doc, the interviewer asks him about practicing, and he said he practices about five hours every day. The interviewer said something like, "Do you find it ironic that the guy who has the most secure position in the band practices like he doesn't?" But Fripp said later he's very demanding - he said it makes him furious when the band members don't treat the music with the respect he thinks it deserves. It's one of the things that makes the Sunday Lunch videos so enjoyable, because it allows his love of music to shine through - just the sheer joy of playing. Mistakes and all.

John 5 is another guy. Constantly playing. He's said in the past that he works out his songs until he can go into the studio, play one take, and nail it. He said he'll practice his full set in the dark until he gets it perfect so he can play w/o looking at the neck.

My friend has a cousin who played French horn professionally. She practiced about eight hours a day because she had to keep up with everybody else.

It's a level of dedication not many of can afford to commit to. Or even have the ability/mindset to commit to.

The work some of these guys put in is unreal. In the new KC doc, the interviewer asks him about practicing, and he said he practices about five hours every day. The interviewer said something like, "Do you find it ironic that the guy who has the most secure position in the band practices like he doesn't?" But Fripp said later he's very demanding - he said it makes him furious when the band members don't treat the music with the respect he thinks it deserves. It's one of the things that makes the Sunday Lunch videos so enjoyable, because it allows his love of music to shine through - just the sheer joy of playing. Mistakes and all.

John 5 is another guy. Constantly playing. He's said in the past that he works out his songs until he can go into the studio, play one take, and nail it. He said he'll practice his full set in the dark until he gets it perfect so he can play w/o looking at the neck.

My friend has a cousin who played French horn professionally. She practiced about eight hours a day because she had to keep up with everybody else.

It's a level of dedication not many of can afford to commit to. Or even have the ability/mindset to commit to.
Yeah, I have never worked quite that hard at music, and even if I did, I would certainly never reach their levels ;~(( I am in it for my own satisfaction, not a career or to be the best ever! Is what it is! I love the stories of FZ's bands having to practice for months before he would even show up to play along with them. It needed to be perfect before he arrived, and then he showed them the next level!

I was very glad to read this. The reason is that I do this, even only playing in cover bands. I will works the songs until I can play them a few times and not make a mistake. I will then practice them in the dark to keep me from looking at the neck so I can focus on the audience when I play live. I mentioned this on another forum at one point. and I took some pretty good crap for it. People thought it was overkill and a waste of time. I have even mentioned it to people I have talked to in my area about playing. They also gave me some flack for it and literally laughed when I told them I spend time practicing in the dark. The funny thing is I get comments about not seeing me focus on the neck of the guitar much when playing live. I wonder how I managed to get that ability...

Back