New Song - The Lockdown

dcm_guitar

With all the working from home, I've really enjoyed having my guitar next to me all day while I work. It's amazing to pick it up and just take ten minutes to clear my head during the workday......

Last week this little groove came to me while I was taking one of these "brain breaks". I made sure to remember the groove, and after my work day was done, I ran to my studio and recorded the base guitar track. Over the last week I've been developing the idea and adding parts. Yes, this is the first pass mix and master. Yes, it will get tweaked, but I like what I'm hearing so far. Because it was written during our shelter-in-place I titled it "The Lockdown".

https://soundcloud.com/radiomoved/lockdown

Song notes:

All the guitar parts are the 594 or the 2408.

Rhythm guitar:

The base rhythm guitar is 594 in the middle position. The neck pickup is tapped and the bridge is full humbucker. The guitar volumes are mostly neck, but just enough bridge to give the sound a little brightness and bite. I'm running through my Mesa 5:25 in the clean channel on the "Fat" setting and have the gain set for just a hint of breakup.

I also have a dirty part using the 594 as a rhythm track. This was done on the bridge pick-up at full volume with a little tone roll off into my Mesa 5:25 in the dirty channel in the IIc+ setting.

I then added a VERY clean part that mimics the same rhythm playing; mostly neck pick-up tapped with a little bridge pickup to add some brightness.

Lead guitar:

The tone in my head was Steve Lukather. I'm not sure if I got there, but I like the tone I ended up with. The lead lines are the 2408 on the bridge pickup. I have the guitar volume at 10 and the tone rolled back to about 7. I'm going through my Mesa 5:25 into the dirty channel on the Xtreme setting. The gain is only at about 9:30 since this setting has SO MUCH gain. The 2408 just seems to float above everything and sound phenomenal.

For those that care, out of my Mesa I'm running into a UAD Ox. The rhythm parts were captured using a 2x12 cabinet model with alnico speakers. The lead lines were captured with a 4x12 cabinet model titled "punch" with greenbacks. Both cabinets were close "mic'ed" with a 57 and a 121 and then I had a 67 as a room mic (fairly low in the mix to just give it a tiny hint of air).

Finally, the bass was played using my Fender Jazz into an Ampeg SCR DI. The drums are EZ Drummer using mostly provided MIDI with some manual programming to get the highlight parts I want.

I use Ableton as my DAW because it's an amazing songwriting tool. It allows for all sorts of tests on song arrangement options. I've gotten to the point where I have good workflow for mixing in Ableton, but it's mix workflow is not as good as some other DAWs.

I'd appreciate any feedback you care to provide. and anyone that wants to discuss recording I'm MORE THAN HAPPY to talk and learn. I love the recording aspect as much as I love playing guitar.

Another stunner!!! Really nice groove, well placed parts and the tones just make everything "fit." I think we talked kick drum and reverb on your last one, this one is spot on! At least as far as I can tell, I'm no pro.

The only criticism I can give is that it sounds like the lead guitar is a little out of tune on the high string(s).

I
Another stunner!!! Really nice groove, well placed parts and the tones just make everything "fit." I think we talked kick drum and reverb on your last one, this one is spot on! At least as far as I can tell, I'm no pro.

The only criticism I can give is that it sounds like the lead guitar is a little out of tune on the high string(s).

I made a concerted effort to work on the bass drum during this mix!

For the tuning, you're probably referring to the "C" section (the section before the break in the middle of the song where the cycle starts over). For the record, I always check tune and intonation before I record.

During this section I ended up using some "dangerous" voicings. The rhythm guitars are playing the groove: Em7, Em11, F#m/D, F#m11/D which fits in the overall keys of D and Bminor. Anytime you use an 11 it will cause dissonance (which I love), and I'm using an 11 twice during this section.

During the solo in this section, I'm paying a D major arpeggio, but adding the G (to fit with the E minor chord and the 11 of D) and then ending on the A to highlight the 11 tonality of the Eminor. Using the 11 (or the 4) in a key can provide some "outside" sounding tonality. The other parts of the song are so "inside" I wanted things to open up a little.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but the "looseness" of this section I think makes the other sections (which stick to "safer" tones) even more sweet. However, I may also be "losing" the listener here.

Again, I REALLY appreciate everyone listening and providing feedback.

So, after writing a freaking music theory treatise in the previous post, I went back and listened to the song again; not as the performer or the engineer or as a guitar player, but as a listener. Andy474x is right, the damn guitar sounds out of tune; not badly but enough...

Because I love playing the damn song, I went back and re-recorded the solo sections again.

Back