New Soapbar owner here.. need some help.

Zatx

Zat, Zat, he's our man!
So I'm the proud new owner of an SE245 Soapbar (pictured on left) and I'm having a problem with intonation. This is on the low E and A string. I get all six strings tuned properly, but on the 12th fret the low E is nearly an E flat and the A is about halfway to a flat. The remaining strings are perfectly in tune. I've attempted to adjust intonation using the small set screws on the back of the stoptail but this only makes it worse and throws out the other strings intonation without affecting it on the low E and A.

My initial thoughts are problems with the nut. I had the shop change out the strings before I brought it home because it had been hanging on their wall for a while and they might have installed 9's or 10's on them.

At times this is an intermittent problem. So I think the larger strings might be binding on the nut.

Do you agree or could it be something I'm missing?

If it is the nut do you recommend the shop filing them or replace the 245 nut with the US version?

Thanks a ton!

What strings were originally set up on it? If they changed gauges, that's the culprit right there....binding in the nut isn't a huge deal, a little bit of graphite or uncle bens nut sauce will lube it.

If the strings are still like new, go here: http://prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html and follow the directions for "PRS Stoptail" and you should be good to go.

I'm guessing they went up or down a gauge with the string change, which threw off the intonation. I don't think it would be the nut, but listen for clicking or pinging noises coming from the nut when you bend or tune the strings. That's the surest indication that they're binding. SE nuts aren't always cut well, so replacing it won't hurt. I'm a fan of bone. My SE One is at the shop getting fitted with one right now. The slots on the stock nut were so tight, I broke the E string, and it didn't even come out of the slot.

Back