New SE's!

Looks like the Lifeson model is gone. Glad I snagged one during MF's blowout a few weeks back. I had a feeling it was going away.

Listen to the $$$$$ going up!

BIG MONEY

I just listened to Bryan Ewald's demos of these new models on the PRS site back-to-back, and back-and-forth, etc. Thankfully, and hopefully intentionally, he plays the same thing for all three, and I hope the recording process/equipemnt was identical for all three. They definitely sound very different. The Ovangkol A40E sounds closest to my SE Angelus Custom (makes sense, mine has a rosewood body, and ovangkol is supposed to be very similar to rosewood). A nice overall tone.

Both the AX20E and A50E sound "brighter" or more strident than the A40E. But there be relative levels in the recording that have been compensated for, so hard to tell which one is actually louder.

Most of the "reviews" so far seem to just parrot the PRS descriptions, without an actual real-world comparison statement.

I really need to hear (literally) or read some reviews of side-by-side playing of which sounds punchier in the upper mid range for single notes, since that is the quality I require. I played my Angelus Custom last night at a pure-acoustic band practice, and again the sound got lost underneath the rhythm player, even when he backed off on his strumming. It is a great sounding guitar plugged in, but I think the rosewood takes away too much of the mid-range for truly unplugged lead break playing. I need something that comes across almost harsh or nasty, if you will, the way a tube screamer pushes an electric guitar tone so you can really hear it in the mix.

Be on the look out for another video soon that may be even more helpful for comparison. We worked hard to minimize any variables. On a side note, I'll be taking an A40E out for a proper amplified road test starting tomorrow.

I'm also glad I got a Lifeson before they all disappeared... I Love the guitar, I also like what I'm seeing in the new models as well.

Buy with confidence, guys. Just got my A40E in and it's an absolute stunner in looks and in playability. Beautiful tone. Not too warm or bright, and nice and even. Superb. Got mine in from Sweetwater with a serial number of 00018!

Another happy SE Tonare owner, here!

My local shop received one of each model late last night, so I ran over today to check them out.

Both the 40 and 50 models are stunning, aesthetically speaking.

I started with the 50s (both A and T), and played half a dozen songs. Grabbed the 40s, and played the same mini-set.

The choice was simple...and I now am the proud papa of a brand new T40E. Lucky serial number '777'

:) :)

My local shop received one of each model late last night, so I ran over today to check them out.

I started with the 50s (both A and T), and played half a dozen songs. Grabbed the 40s, and played the same mini-set.

The choice was simple...and I now am the proud papa of a brand new T40E. Lucky serial number '777'

Sweet!

How much brighter was the maple model?

How much brighter was the maple model?

It wasn't overbearingly bright...but it WAS noticeable.

Being a Taylor fanboy, I like brighter-sounding guitars, but I have a few of those, already...so the T40E struck a chord (no pun intended) that really resonated (2 puns in one sentence) with me.

I happen to like deep bass, too...and my Martin D28 serves that purpose quite well.

I would say that the T40E is a very comfortable, articulate, high quality balance between the Taylor and Martin tone.

It's a musical love child. :)

It wasn't overbearingly bright...but it WAS noticeable.

Being a Taylor fanboy, I like brighter-sounding guitars, but I have a few of those, already...so the T40E struck a chord (no pun intended) that really resonated (2 puns in one sentence) with me.

I happen to like deep bass, too...and my Martin D28 serves that purpose quite well.

I would say that the T40E is a very comfortable, articulate, high quality balance between the Taylor and Martin tone.

It's a musical love child. :)
Ah. Glad I went with the A40e then. I like the happy medium. Truly a quality instrument.

I'm (im)patiently waiting for Sweetwater to get an A50E in stock!

I almost bought one from SW, when they first arrived (the T50E)...but I decided to hold off and wait for my local shop to get some in, so I could lay hands on them and pick a favorite.

I also happened to have a couple hundred bucks in gift cards, so I played the part of a fiscally responsible-ish person...for once.

I'm not sure that I won't buy an A50E from SW, anyway.

I hate this Godforsaken addiction.....and you people are no help.

I want one I need one!!!
Can’t decide between A40E and A50E.
All pointing to the A40E because it sounds most balanced and not too much treble but the A50E looks sweet and may be a good choise anyway! My wife think the A50E looks girly:confused:
I don’t have the possibility to try one first because no one near me will have it in stock, so I need to order it online.
Aaahh what should I do?

Can I assume when these are listed with “wide fat” neck profile that is the same as the wide fat necks on the electrics? That is a very comfortable neck for me. I do have an A10e and while I love the mahogany tone it has I am not fond of the neck and it’s baseball bat dimensions.

I want one I need one!!!
Can’t decide between A40E and A50E.
All pointing to the A40E because it sounds most balanced and not too much treble but the A50E looks sweet and may be a good choise anyway! My wife think the A50E looks girly:confused:
I don’t have the possibility to try one first because no one near me will have it in stock, so I need to order it online.
Aaahh what should I do?

Bodia would tell you to get one of each...and I'm not inclined to argue with him.

Besides...if you get two, then I can tell my wife I'm not the only uber-obsessed Acoustic nut.

And then, after I get kicked out of the house, I can shack up with you, and play your guitars, too.

Back