New SE's!

I’m bloated with GAS for that T40E

No sir, I do not want one of those. Definitely not. No way. Not at all. Farthest thing from my mind.

(If if keep saying that, it'll be true, right?)

*Starts looking around for acoustic gigs in order to have an excuse to buy one.*

I just listened to Bryan Ewald's demos of these new models on the PRS site back-to-back, and back-and-forth, etc. Thankfully, and hopefully intentionally, he plays the same thing for all three, and I hope the recording process/equipemnt was identical for all three. They definitely sound very different. The Ovangkol A40E sounds closest to my SE Angelus Custom (makes sense, mine has a rosewood body, and ovangkol is supposed to be very similar to rosewood). A nice overall tone.

Both the AX20E and A50E sound "brighter" or more strident than the A40E. But there be relative levels in the recording that have been compensated for, so hard to tell which one is actually louder.

Most of the "reviews" so far seem to just parrot the PRS descriptions, without an actual real-world comparison statement.

I really need to hear (literally) or read some reviews of side-by-side playing of which sounds punchier in the upper mid range for single notes, since that is the quality I require. I played my Angelus Custom last night at a pure-acoustic band practice, and again the sound got lost underneath the rhythm player, even when he backed off on his strumming. It is a great sounding guitar plugged in, but I think the rosewood takes away too much of the mid-range for truly unplugged lead break playing. I need something that comes across almost harsh or nasty, if you will, the way a tube screamer pushes an electric guitar tone so you can really hear it in the mix.

I just listened to Bryan Ewald's demos of these new models on the PRS site back-to-back, and back-and-forth, etc. Thankfully, and hopefully intentionally, he plays the same thing for all three, and I hope the recording process/equipemnt was identical for all three. They definitely sound very different. The Ovangkol A40E sounds closest to my SE Angelus Custom (makes sense, mine has a rosewood body, and ovangkol is supposed to be very similar to rosewood). A nice overall tone.

Both the AX20E and A50E sound "brighter" or more strident than the A40E. But there be relative levels in the recording that have been compensated for, so hard to tell which one is actually louder.

Most of the "reviews" so far seem to just parrot the PRS descriptions, without an actual real-world comparison statement.

I really need to hear (literally) or read some reviews of side-by-side playing of which sounds punchier in the upper mid range for single notes, since that is the quality I require. I played my Angelus Custom last night at a pure-acoustic band practice, and again the sound got lost underneath the rhythm player, even when he backed off on his strumming. It is a great sounding guitar plugged in, but I think the rosewood takes away too much of the mid-range for truly unplugged lead break playing. I need something that comes across almost harsh or nasty, if you will, the way a tube screamer pushes an electric guitar tone so you can really hear it in the mix.

I also love that Bryan played the same piece on all six guitars. I did the same thing you did and flipped back and forth a bunch. The T40E was my favorite based on that.

Bryan's descriptions in the videos suggest to me that the 40 will get buried like rosewood bodies tend to do. I bet that maple on the 50 would cut through like a knife. The 20 definitely has a nice midrange, but doesn't seem to have the top end sweetness of the other two.

I also love that Bryan played the same piece on all six guitars. I did the same thing you did and flipped back and forth a bunch. The T40E was my favorite based on that.

Bryan's descriptions in the videos suggest to me that the 40 will get buried like rosewood bodies tend to do. I bet that maple on the 50 would cut through like a knife. The 20 definitely has a nice midrange, but doesn't seem to have the top end sweetness of the other two.
I concur with your conclusions.

So I may end up picking up one of those A50E models...will be interesting to see how it compares to my Taylor 214ce Quilted Maple, which is almost identical in woods, except it has a maple neck while the PRS has a mahogany neck.

I know Paul is always "quality first", but I'll admit it does take me back a little bit that they're built from that factory instead of World Musical Instruments. Has anyone here played any guitars from that Chinese factory? Just curious before I thin my heard to make room for a new one.

I’m with you.

I am very intrigued. The higher end versions are really desirable.

I’m fortunate to not have much of a fortune. Because I can’t afford one now, I’ll sit back for a year or two and wait for the feedback on these while I consider it.

I’m with you.

I am very intrigued. The higher end versions are really desirable.

I’m fortunate to not have much of a fortune. Because I can’t afford one now, I’ll sit back for a year or two and wait for the feedback on these while I consider it.

I've already listed my A10E for sale locally. Going to pull the trigger on the A40E. Maple would just be too bright for me.

I've already listed my A10E for sale locally. Going to pull the trigger on the A40E. Maple would just be too bright for me.

I, personally, love brighter acoustics. I have a Martin D28 that handles the low end 'thump really well...but my other cowboy gits are pretty bright and shimmery (Taylors).

The T50E is, most definitely, right up my alley.

Counting down the minutes until mine shows up.

I, personally, love brighter acoustics. I have a Martin D28 that handles the low end 'thump really well...but my other cowboy gits are pretty bright and shimmery (Taylors).

The T50E is, most definitely, right up my alley.

Counting down the minutes until mine shows up.
Let us all know about the fit and finish of it. I know it's probably great, but I'd feel better knowing from a firsthand experience.

A friend of mine is interesting this line of guitars. She wrote,

“I’m particularly interested in knowing what the lower bout measurement is, as well as the width of the guitar.”

Anyone know the answers? Thanks

Back