New SE's are upon us!!!

Yes...each of the four demo has a different amp..but in the three demos of 2016 model you can hear always that in the neck and middle position wound strings are clearer, neck pick up is almost p90ish and bridge pick up is quite hot..and the guitar is never thin..in the 2017 model you hear muddie wound string and a much thinner bridge pick up..and an overall more modern sound..for personal preference you can like it..i don't..
Well, in that video Brian Ewald says the new pups have less muddy low end and a chimey-er top end. So what you hear in the differently recorded videos does lean a bit towards what you are saying. Better would be to compare PRS's own videos for the pre-2017 SE CU22/24, if any were made with comparable amps. But again, because it wasn't side-by-side, mike placement, amp settings, etc are all going to skew the final result.

That being said, there are plenty of pre-2017 SE CU22/24s out there, so I'm sure you can get exactly what you want (unless you want a color they never used).

I wouldn't be too concerned about the limited colour options on the website. Over the years I've seen loads of different finishes that have never been listed on the PRS page.

Curious about the 245 model though. Althought the Bernie has been dropped, is there any changes to the 245? Going by the spec, it has a 'thick mahogany' body. I know the Bernie was known and liked for being a big lump of timber, so have they changed the profile on the 245 at all?

2016-10-25-20-48-24-jpg.515959

dsc_0003-jpg.515956

This one is highly expected to come home. Currently it will be slightly modificated by my dealer: PRS US nut, Schaller security lock pins, Hipshot O-Ring knobs.
I ordered Schaller M6 locking tuners w/ ebony tuner buttons aswelll, but they are not available as of six weeks. I´ll install them DIY then.

Last edited:
Yowzers, that is one sweet-looking SE Holcomb!

Great, now I have GAS for one, again!

@shinksma, THX!
Mid of SEP I put in a request of availability of MH SE to two dealers. One offered me to call me - apart from purchasing in the end -, if the delivery has been succesful.

The other one made an attractive with all the requested mods. Therefore he made the deal. This particular one was selected by him for me out of three being shipped to them.

But I was called by the other dealer, who received 11 2017th MH SE axes. He stated that every MH SE looks different by the grain of the top veneer and the paint job of the burst. Some maple top veneers are more flamed than quilted, other look calm or wild.
Others have got a nearly black upper horn, whilst few have burst there.
He would have send me pictures for decision making, that I could select my No1. I replied, that I already purchased at a competitor, but thanked for his customer related offer.
Summary: World Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. pays a lot of attention to compose, assemble and finish astonishing Holcombs.

Last edited:
Back