New SE's are upon us!!!

Bought a Zach Myers last week and it had a fault on one of the tuners. The shop are sending me out a replacement guitar tomorrow and picking this one up.
And then I see that a new model is due!!! hah, my timing sux, but at least it looks like the only change I'm missing out on is the headstock logo which is fine.
Such an amazing guitar range overall, PRS definitely hit it outta the ball park with the SEs.

Dude. Can't you just return the guitar for a refund? After only a week? What's their policy? Especially since there was a defect, they should work to help you out, even if that means an exchange for the 2017.

I like what i hear from the new pickups. I have never really liked the way the SEs render distorted barre chords. They sounded muddy, sour, and 'off.' I haven't heard that in the few demos that are online. Better clarity and tone.

Dude. Can't you just return the guitar for a refund? After only a week? What's their policy? Especially since there was a defect, they should work to help you out, even if that means an exchange for the 2017.

The shop have been great so far, and while I could probably push them to get a refund, if I get the guitar tomorrow and it plays as nice as the first but minus the busted tuner, then I'll be more than happy with it. I just have to laugh at myself with the timing heh.

I thought the pickups/guitars sounded really nice in that Anderton's video. I looked away and then was pleasantly surprised at the sweet tones (IMO) coming outta that CU24, which I didn't expect.

There are also 3 new SE videos on PRS's YouTube channel:

SE Custom 24 vs. SE Custom 22
SE 277 Baritone
SE Custom 24 "Floyd"

Easy Drew!

Someones gotta balance out the singin around the campfire happy joy joy attitude around here. :) I was just expecting...um..more. It's not ALL doom and gloom on my end. The Santana is really nice. Glad to see the 277 semi soapbar return as I believe it is one of the best SEs released, ever.

OK, so I've been GASsing for an SE 277 SH for a while. I saw the new "2017" models with the new headstock and quite liked it. Checked Sweetwater, and the first couple they had available were nice, but not really killer flame-wise. Checked again for giggles just now, and saw one I really liked. Called my rep, negotiate, tada, should be here Friday.

Still might go check out those Core classic Miras at a local GC...

I justify the rash purchase by the fact that my fiancee/bandmate really likes the tones I get out of my MM Baritone, and the semihollow with soapbars should really kick it up a notch...

OK, so I've been GASsing for an SE 277 SH for a while. I saw the new "2017" models with the new headstock and quite liked it. Checked Sweetwater, and the first couple they had available were nice, but not really killer flame-wise. Checked again for giggles just now, and saw one I really liked. Called my rep, negotiate, tada, should be here Friday.

Still might go check out those Core classic Miras at a local GC...

I justify the rash purchase by the fact that my fiancee/bandmate really likes the tones I get out of my MM Baritone, and the semihollow with soapbars should really kick it up a notch...

Love the sound. Love the concept. Would love to own one. But, I fear I wouldn't know what to do on it. :)

I was just expecting...um..more.

I feel you... but. I feel like they did a pretty rad job on updates while keeping the prices the same. The headstock logo was a pretty big deal for a lot of peeps and improving the pickups is nice. I gotta give 'em props for addressing some of the stuff about the guitars that customers wanted to see.

Baby steps.

I LOVE the change in the headstock! I've been waiting for YEARS for that! It looks CLASSY instead of clumsy!! Awesome decision!

It definitely looks better. I'm not sure why the headstocks don't just come with the sig on them and then "SE" on the truss rod cover.

New logo is perfect. This is what it should always have been!
Good call on the new pickups too, gets them closer to the tones you're getting from contemporary PRS Core models.

Not happy about the logo 'change.' A big thing that differentiated the Core and SE's is that the core models are 'Paul Reed Smith' guitars and the SE line are 'PRS SE' guitars. What's next, will they move the 'SE' to the truss rod cover plate instead?

Not happy about the logo 'change.' A big thing that differentiated the Core and SE's is that the core models are 'Paul Reed Smith' guitars and the SE line are 'PRS SE' guitars. What's next, will they move the 'SE' to the truss rod cover plate instead?

Why? Do you think it hurts the branding?

The big thing that separates the Core and SE line are hardware, pickups, tone wood selection, materials, etc. Moving the SE to the truss rod cover is a small aesthetic change that solidifies consistency in branding. They are PRS products after all. The large SE on the headstock was an eyesore and you want the least amount of deterrents as possible when moving a product. Even though they are the entry level tier of PRS guitars, you still want them to be as attractive as possible right?

In my opinion, it only helps the branding! Before, it would say SE on the headstock but you would have a PRS truss rod cover. But lately, we were getting guitars with blank TRC or, with the signature models, a special TRC like the ZM ones. There was literally not a single place that showed PRS on them. Obviously, we know what an SE is, but other people don't. Having the PRS signature on these will only help to build the brand. I don't think it hurts Fender to have their normal logo on their Mexican made guitars. We all know there's a difference between the made in Mexico and the made in America models.

I'm excited to see what 2017 will hold for the S2 and Bolt On lines. I have nothing but love for my S2 Custom 24 and would love to get my hands on a CE. But I'm always willing to be swayed by something new ;)

Back