New SE's are upon us!!!

So what about the 2017 custom 22?
I can't understand if there is only a tremolo version or also a stoptail..
no more tone furnace pick ups?
Maple neck on 22 too?
Tnx a lot for your answer

I believe the Bernies have joined the CE24 in the "bolt-on" section, and are still available.

According to the video, 85/15's, trem, maple neck. I think the website has some residual info from the 2016 models.

That's a bad news..i've seen some video's on youtube..3 regarding the current Custom SE 22 and the new one that compare se cu 22 and 24..and no way..2016 model is way superior in sound..deeper in bass and more open and brilliant..new ones seems muddier and less articulate, despite maple neck and tremolo bridge..

It's as though we are of one mind.

I'd LOVE to get ahold of a new Bernie, and it would be awesome if they brought it back.

And I'm in full agreement about the Tusq nut. That's the first thing I do with all of the SE models I get.

New strings...and Tusq nut.

I don't mind the tuners. I think they're fine, for the most part. But the nut upgrade is a must, IMO.

If you are based in Europe, then you can still get them in Black Cherry at thomann.de for quite cheap. If you are will to spend slightly more, you can look at session.de and wildwireguitars.com (based in the UK) - both still have some in stock, but colour choices are becoming limited.

If you are based in the US and can't find one that's new locally, you might want to consider importing, but I am not sure what the cost would be.

My Bernie is currently in the shop having a bone nut installed and getting a pro setup. Really looking forward to getting it back...

look at these demos..

new ones...

then the current ones..

Ok..different demo..but you can clearly hear the difference and for me 2016 model is much much better in sound

Guitarguitar in the UK have got a number of Bernie's in stock in a variety of finishes if anyone is desperate for one.

Unfortunately, the low £ value in the UK seems to have hit the prices of the 2017 SE's. I just got the previous model Zach Myers a day before the 2017's were announced, but now the new guitars are up on the stores website, the 2017 version is more than what the previous model has ended up costing me!! Quite a significant price hike.

Guitarguitar in the UK have got a number of Bernie's in stock in a variety of finishes if anyone is desperate for one.

Unfortunately, the low £ value in the UK seems to have hit the prices of the 2017 SE's. I just got the previous model Zach Myers a day before the 2017's were announced, but now the new guitars are up on the stores website, the 2017 version is more than what the previous model has ended up costing me!! Quite a significant price hike.

That's a shame :(

Bear in mind they have been blowing out the older model SE's in anticipation of the 2017 models so prices are cheaper than the new pricing structure.

Bear in mind they have been blowing out the older model SE's in anticipation of the 2017 models so prices are cheaper than the new pricing structure.

Aye, they knocked just under £ off the Zach Myers which seeing as mine was delivered on the day they announced the blow out, they refunded me the difference! The 2017 models were still more than the outgoing models, which seems excessive for a signature on the headstock!

Aye, they knocked just under £ off the Zach Myers which seeing as mine was delivered on the day they announced the blow out, they refunded me the difference! The 2017 models were still more than the outgoing models, which seems excessive for a signature on the headstock!
Well, as you noted, it was just a market price adjustment to reflect the lower value of your currency relative to the USD.

Ask Canada and Australia about what fun that can be!

look at these demos..

new ones...

then the current ones..

Ok..different demo..but you can clearly hear the difference and for me 2016 model is much much better in sound
Dude,
I think you`re not factoring the amp into the equation. Personally, I think the new ones have a clearer, more balanced sound form low note to high note. The amps are all different.

Dude,
I think you`re not factoring the amp into the equation. Personally, I think the new ones have a clearer, more balanced sound form low note to high note. The amps are all different.

Yes...each of the four demo has a different amp..but in the three demos of 2016 model you can hear always that in the neck and middle position wound strings are clearer, neck pick up is almost p90ish and bridge pick up is quite hot..and the guitar is never thin..in the 2017 model you hear muddie wound string and a much thinner bridge pick up..and an overall more modern sound..for personal preference you can like it..i don't..

Last edited:
PS: Andertons replied to a question I had, stating the Tremolo on the SE Custom 24 has NOT changed

To be honest, it appears the tremolo is pretty much the same all the way up to S2s and CEs

You can't trust a YouTube video unless it was made in a controlled environment. No two will ever be alike and I'd never base my guitar decision on someone else's demo, on an iPhone, in a music store.

About SE Custom 22..directly from PRS:

i Andrea,
Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

The 2017 SE Custom 22 is only available with a Tremolo, and the neck is Maple, with a rosewood fingerboard.

Best regards and thanks for your support of PRS Guitars.

Matt

MATT WADE
GENERAL MANAGER
PRS GUITARS EUROPE

Back