New SE's are upon us!!!

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Looking at Sweetwater's site, new SE's are in! Changes I've noticed so far via their stock:

PRS sig on headstock (cool)
85/15 SE Pickups on CU24!!!
SE245 pickups on CU22 Semi
Tremonti Custom SE pickups on his sig model

Haven't noticed anything else yet. Don't see locking tuners, and no mention of a nut and/or string gauge change. But, SE 85/15's!!! Wondering if that change will hit S2's as well. Have never loved the G&B HFS/VB set, hopefully the mojo of the USA 85/15's will carry over.

On a personal note, still a maple neck on the CU24 and Tremonti Custom :(

Well, they're here, update us as you see 'em fellas!

277 baritone has the new headstock design. No other apparent differences, same colors as previous.

The ZM has the headstock change and nothing else different, AFAICT. The simplified top carve seems the same, and I don't see any new colors in any of the models.

So I am not sure I would call this a "revamp" of the SE model line, even with the SE 24-7 being dropped as rumored, and maybe a few other models dropping off.

I am curious about the Holcomb - Sweetwater has a "new" label stuck to that, but it looks the same as previous, might be the last of the previous config, and the next batch will have the new headstock design.

Overall my impression is "Meh" with mild excitement over what the SE 85/15 pups could sound like, and a head nod to the better-looking (IMHO) headstock.

Not sure about the others but the Custom 22 semi-hollow now has a wide fat neck, rather than the wide thin.

This suits me much better:)

oh boy... THIS is the SE revamp? This? Really?

So, neither the tuner or nut issue was addressed. I guess I'm going to be the only one who thinks the 85/15 SE pickups were something that was unnecessary, as the first thing someone does with a sub $1000 guitar is swap the pickups. Also. A lot of the people getting these will be young adults or kids. So, vintage voiced pickups are not going to be what a lot of players in that group are looking for. Furthermore, with the other manufacturers loading their guitars with EMGs, Duncans, & Dimarzios in Korean made guitars to the $500 range, a Korean wound pickup isn't going to have the appeal, no matter who designed it or what name its associated with.

The more I think about it, the more I think the S2 range should be axed and have the SE range include the up to $1500 price point. Do you realize how much guitar you can get from Korea in that range?

Ah, makes sense why there were being blown out at GC's and Dave's!

Looking great! A bit too close to the core USA line (which isn't a bad thing)

I think the changes are pretty sweet. Just watched the video demos that we have so far. Some comment on the SE Custom 22 & 24 with the PRS 85/15 "S" pickups. Note the "S" suffix. Maybe this means they are made in Korea, Indonesia or elsewhere outside of America? They sounded great on the speakers I am using anyway. We get to hear both guitars with the same pickups. I thought the SE Custom 24 sounded nicer, and I am more of a 22 fret kind of a guy :)

Videos can be found at the link shown on post #5 by shinksma.

Sergio's gonna flip out.

SE-Santana-Orange(straight).png

Very, VERY glad they 'fixed' the headstock logo.
Uninspired by the colorways — i never liked the PRS SE bursts, and now there are just too few color options.
Was hoping for locking tuners and a hq nut, but those are a $60 upgrade i can make IF i need to.
Wish the Custom 22 had a stop tail. The PRS currently says it's a hard tail, but clearly shows a trem.

All in all, i guess i need to wait to see if the S2 Singlecut gets updated somehow to decide whether to go with a used S2 or a new SE 245 or Tremonti Custom.

What great timing!!!!

I was looking at the Santana, but was put off by the aesthetics---the body purfling looked cheap and over-blingey, and I couldn't stand the headstock shape.

This new SE addresses both, and its a wide fat 24.5" 24 fretter....

I will be buying one as soon as possible!

HOME RUN! Thank you Paul!!!! :)

I'm also VERY tempted to get the new Tremonti too......hmmmmmmmm

Tony

Bought a Zach Myers last week and it had a fault on one of the tuners. The shop are sending me out a replacement guitar tomorrow and picking this one up.
And then I see that a new model is due!!! hah, my timing sux, but at least it looks like the only change I'm missing out on is the headstock logo which is fine.
Such an amazing guitar range overall, PRS definitely hit it outta the ball park with the SEs.

Sergio's gonna flip out.

SE-Santana-Orange(straight).png

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu (inhales) uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu (coughing weezing) uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Immediate "Bangin'! Award" (TM) Winner!

F@ck Yeah! Knob placement? check. 24 frets? check. Headstock logo, ehh.. that's cool. I'm still gonna paint SErgio on 'em. :p

Wow! I can't wait to build an army of modded versions of this over the years.

Well done, PRS! :cool:

Easy Drew!

I think the changes are appropriate. The newer SE pickups are quite good IMO, especially the 245's, so I look forward to hearing what people say about these SE 85/15's. Not everyone that buys SE's is young, in fact I would estimate that a good portion of SE customers are adults. And within all age ranges, I think there are a healthy number of people that appreciate vintage pickups. I know I do, and always have, and I'm only 30.

Hate to be critical, but PRS does need to update the product pages on the new models, the video listed the necks as mahogany on the customs, website says maple, stoptail vs. trem and "tone furnace" vs 85/15 on the 22. Kind of ambiguous as to what you're actually getting.

The updates are nice... if the new models get home run reviews, I have a Mira X that could go up for sale. But I don't think my current SE's have become obsolete by any means (which is nice).

Back