New SE Paul's Guitar - Volume cuts out when turned past 10

TastyPickle

Hi everyone - just purchased a new blue burst SE Paul's guitar today! Looks amazing, feels great. Super excited to have my first PRS.

Unfortunately, when I turn the volume up to 10 and put the slightest amount of pressure on the knob as if I'm trying to turn it up to 11, I lose all sound, even when I am no longer touching it.
Any idea if it's a contact that could need adjusting or cleaning? It's fine on all other volume levels, and If I turn it up gently, no problem, but if I try to adjust it to hit max volume quickly, it cuts out and doesn't come back on until I back it down to 9. Kinda bummed as I've been to the store 3 different times to play it and I guess I never adjusted it to the point it failed until I got it home this afternoon.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this would be appreciated.

Thanks. I'm glad to finally be an owner instead of a lurker on this forum.
Yes, it's brand new, so getting it fixed shouldn't be an issue. I was hoping it was something easily adjusted at home. However, if there's potential for a faulty pot, better to see about getting that replaced though.

Appreciate it!

"It's the sustain, listen to it...."

Taking the guitar into the shop shortly, if they need to replace the pot, are there different qualities of pots? I know there are different outputs, but should I be looking to have it replaced with a PRS pot, or are they all about the same?

"It's the sustain, listen to it...."

Taking the guitar into the shop shortly, if they need to replace the pot, are there different qualities of pots? I know there are different outputs, but should I be looking to have it replaced with a PRS pot, or are they all about the same?
A 500k PRS core pot would solve the problem. Higher quality than the stock one that's in the SE.
Don't let them through in some cheap alpha pot...oh, and make sure the treble bleed cap that's on the SE Paul's guitar is put back on, IF they don't use a PRS core pot.

I would start by filing a lawsuit against Spinal Tap for enticing you to reach 11 on your pot! I would then order a custom made pot that actually goes to 11, thereby preventing any future desires to "make it one more louder"!! I would then jam the F out of that beotch, while on 11 of course!!! Let me know if you need any further instructions and welcome to the 11 club!!!!

The issue seems to be sorted out nicely. The guitar tech sprayed the pot with cleaner and worked it around into the pot which seemed to clear up the problem quickly. We could hear it getting progressively better as he sprayed and turned the knob, which made me feel better about the cause.

He also said while he doesn't expect there to be any more issues with it, he is going to proceed with ordering the replacement part from PRS and would be happy to swap it out when it comes in if I would like. Or, if the problem seems to be fixed and I would prefer, could keep it in the event something comes up with it in the future.

I asked about their stocked replacement parts which are made by AllParts. I don't know much about them, but assume they are probably mid-grade parts made by a large manufacturer that makes OEM parts for a number of guitar brands.

All in all, a very easy fix and a good experience.

Sounds like you bought your guitar from a good dealer. Who was it?
Glad to give them a shout-out.

Bailey Brothers, in Birmingham, AL

It's a great shop. Not only were they very helpful in resolving this issue, but also throughout my entire buying experience.

I'm a beginner, and they suggested multiple styles of guitars based on what I like, and since I don't play very well (yet), they were happy to demo and play different guitars for me multiple times before I settled on this one.

I'm sure I went there on at least 5 different occasions before deciding what I wanted and they were always friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
Back