New SE locking tuners from PRS!

garrett

Well, I'm excited about this. Finally, true Phase II style tuners for SE...

https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/prs-se-locking-tuners-set
se_locking_tuners_1080x.jpg

Direct replacements for the original SE tuners? Not sure it matters - I didn't see a 7-string set, and that's what I'm kinda looking for.

Wow! That will eliminate a lot of grumbling from the "SEs have tuning instability" crowd. (Never had an issue myself with any of my SEs.)

Its often not the tuners that cause tuning instability and, if you know how to wrap the string, its very unlikely the tuners are the issue. The most likely cause is the nut and I think most people seem to be confusing locking tuners with locking nuts. The biggest advantage of locking tuners is quicker/easier string changes.

I am sure you probably knew all that anyway but in case others don't, its useful information. If people are struggling with tuning stability, its better to look at how you have wrapped the strings and/or lubed the nut - that generally fixes any issue - in fact changing the nut itself, a cheaper option, generally fixes and tuning instability.

I am not going to say these are a 'pointless' upgrade to the regular tuners as I would want locking tuners myself - if only for the quicker, easier string changes. All my guitars have locking tuners (unsurprisingly) and its great that PRS are now offering these as an option. Its one of the most requested upgrade question in the forums - which locking tuners should they buy. Now there us a very easy answer that's guaranteed to fit....

Wow! That will eliminate a lot of grumbling from the "SEs have tuning instability" crowd. (Never had an issue myself with any of my SEs.)

I can say that I had tuning issues with all 3 of mine. I replaced the nut on all of them and it cured the problem. The plastic nut on the ones I had never gave good lubrication.

Yes the nut causes the vast majority of tuning problems. Manufacturing is so good these days, it's very rarely the tuners unless someone isn't stringing them correctly.

I use locking tuners because I like 'em.

Its often not the tuners that cause tuning instability and, if you know how to wrap the string, its very unlikely the tuners are the issue. The most likely cause is the nut and I think most people seem to be confusing locking tuners with locking nuts. The biggest advantage of locking tuners is quicker/easier string changes.

I am sure you probably knew all that anyway but in case others don't, its useful information. If people are struggling with tuning stability, its better to look at how you have wrapped the strings and/or lubed the nut - that generally fixes any issue - in fact changing the nut itself, a cheaper option, generally fixes and tuning instability.

I am not going to say these are a 'pointless' upgrade to the regular tuners as I would want locking tuners myself - if only for the quicker, easier string changes. All my guitars have locking tuners (unsurprisingly) and its great that PRS are now offering these as an option. Its one of the most requested upgrade question in the forums - which locking tuners should they buy. Now there us a very easy answer that's guaranteed to fit....
I suffer from whammy madness, brought on by old age and the hunt for microtones. My SE’s have both new nuts and locking tuners. The tuning stability is tremendous. I only have one Stoptail, an SE 245. That has locking tuners on it and is used as my pit guitar when I play musicals (Mama Mia in a month.) I have to play with horns sometimes, and even a little out of tune sounds horrible in unison with a sax or woodwind. Not necessary is all relative.

I just bought a set of the locking tuners for my 2010 PRS SE Tremonti. I know they're a direct replacement, but I'm going to have a trusted luthier do the work. While they're replacing the tuners, what other work would you recommend? Replacing the nut? If so, which nut would you recommend?

Thanks!
- Melissa

I just bought a set of the locking tuners for my 2010 PRS SE Tremonti. I know they're a direct replacement, but I'm going to have a trusted luthier do the work. While they're replacing the tuners, what other work would you recommend? Replacing the nut? If so, which nut would you recommend?

Thanks!
- Melissa
Yes, the nut for sure while you're at it.
I'd either do an original PRS core nut, or something that the luthier knows will work. Bone, or anything not plastic. Luthier will make sure the nut is cut properly for the string gauge you prefer.

Back