New SE has issues.

Riverwind05

I just unboxed a new SE. Paul's Guitar. No volume from 1-3 slight volume starts. After 5 or above you may get volume, if you do the volume fades. Is this a known issue?

Gosh, don't they plug them in test that kind of thing before sending them out?

Pretty lame that such a thing would get through QC, but pretty rare too, I would think.
It was supposed to. And I have the card that said it was :) I don't know I waited so long for the guitar, I hate too have to send it back, or even send it in for repair. I'm not a happy camper. At this rate if it's not something simple I may be playing it, or something similar, by July.

Thanks for the info. That's what I'm thinking, but the slow fade of volume it makes me feel like there's something else? I hope not.
Sometimes the uneven volume is related to the treble bleed. I completely rewired my SE and had that same issue with a simple treble bleed (capacitor and no resistor). All of the taper was closer to the loud end. Then I experimented with the other types of bleeds that included a resistor; Duncan (w/resistor in parallel) and Kinman (w/resistor in series). I ended up keeping the Kinman style. The taper evened out.

It was supposed to. And I have the card that said it was :) I don't know I waited so long for the guitar, I hate too have to send it back, or even send it in for repair. I'm not a happy camper. At this rate if it's not something simple I may be playing it, or something similar, by July.

How long between PRS checking it (you have the 'date' on the hangtag) and you receiving it?

All that 'states' though is that on the day it was 'checked', it was 'deemed' fine - it could of been missed, but from PRS perspective, it was checked and passed 'fit for sale' on that date. then its all packaged up, sent to distributors who distribute them to retailers who could put them out on 'display' for customers to try before they buy then ship it out as 'new' to someone buying online without 'checking' its still functioning.

PRS offer a Warranty too because they also know that they 'cannot' check 'every' pot extensively to ensure there are no 'defective' ones that may break 'sooner' than expected. Things like Pots are covered for a period of time so if you do receive 'something' that has slipped through their QC process and/or fails sooner than it should, you can go back to the retailer for them to 'fix' under PRS warranty. If they need to replace a Pot for example, PRS will cover that.

Its almost impossible to ensure that 'EVERY' guitar, every electronic component etc is 'perfect' and will be 'perfect' when the 'Customer' receives it - especially as it could be 'months or even years' between PRS checking it and the Customer getting it. Its likely to have been shipped and carted about, could of been played by numerous customers to a store, even played by the staff of the store before you get it - you don't know what could have happened between PRS saying it was OK and you getting it. But that's where the Warranty comes in too and whilst you 'can't' ensure that EVERY customer will be happy when they buy 'new', its what they do if/when things do get through, do break or fail.

As anyone here will tell you, if you aren't happy, contact the retailer and get it 'fixed' under warranty. Maybe not 'ideal', but they will (or at least should) resolve the problem for you...

I just unboxed a new SE. Paul's Guitar. No volume from 1-3 slight volume starts. After 5 or above you may get volume, if you do the volume fades. Is this a known issue?
Have you unscrewed the control cover around the back and looked inside?

Look for a bad solder connection or a loose wire or a wire or terminal touching the black conductive paint inside the control cavity.

Maybe gently wiggle some wires going to the volume pot or switch while the guitar is plugged in and see what happens.

It's probably a very simple fix.

Bad pot, bad switch, contacts on the switch not making full contact, loose wire...

Any really good guitar or amp repairperson could diagnose it and fix it quickly.

Last edited:
Back