New SE A50E - Strings

adhurdler

I am the proud new owner of a SE A50E. Beautiful guitar.

Does anyone know the strings that come standard on it? Are they D’Addario’s?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, Shawn! I'm sure the info is out there for the previous models, but may not be clear for the current line-up that the brand is the usual D'Addario, although 12-53 is listed on the product page(s).

Thanks for the quick responses. I noticed there are different D’Addario 12-53’s. Are they the the Coated Phospher Bronze EXPs? I like the feel of them some just trying to know for future replacement.

I received confirmation this week that it comes with EXP 12-53s.

Has anyone tried the Elixir Nanowebs on this?

i have a set of Elixir Nanowebs on my new-to-me SE Angelus Custom right now. On my box, I think they have a brighter high end than the EXPs. I liked the D'Addario tone a little better and will switch back next string change.

They're definitely nice strings to play and most folks say the Elixirs last longer, too. I haven't played them enough to comment on that. I can see myself giving the Elixirs another shot in the not-too-distant future because the difference is pretty subtle.

Give 'em a shot and see what you think. I'd like to hear an opinion from another new SE owner.

Give 'em a shot and see what you think. I'd like to hear an opinion from another new SE owner.

I don’t have an SE, I have a PS Tonare, but I’ve found I like it best with the D’Addario coated 80/20 Bronze light tops/medium bottoms bluegrass set it came with.

Honestly, I was surprised at what nice strings the D’Addario EXPs are; nothing else I’ve tried has given me a tone I liked as much. The tone is very solid, with a good overtone structure.

They last a long time, too!

I’m adding to the above post about the D’Addario 80/20s I liked (the guitar came with the EXP version, and it was nice sounding).

D’Addario has changed the core to the NYXL. I think the strings now sound different, and I don’t like them quite as much as the earlier versions, which I can no longer find.

I’ve found the phosphor bronze isn’t my cup of tea with this guitar.

In any case, I’m going to seek out and try other 80/20 bronze strings, and see if I can find a better replacement. I’ll report back.

Please do. I'll be listening, at least. I haven't settled on one set either -- currently going back and forth between the 80/20 and coated phosphor D'Addarios (after trying one more set of Elixirs) and I'm leaning towards the Phosphor bronze for the SE. I'd love to hear what's working on the private stock.

Has anyone moved down to 11's and if so, does it make the guitar more playable without sacrificing too much tone?

Daddario Phosphor Bronze lights are fine. Used them for many years.

This year, I started using a new set from Martin: The Tommy Emmanuel Signature Phosphor Bronze Flex Core strings.

Light is 12-54.

A little easier bending and easier to press down so they're easier on the fingers.

Been using them on all of my Breedloves and I like the tone and the flexibility a lot.

The core wire that the wire is wrapped around is thinner and the outside wire wound around the core is a little thicker.

The unwound strings are unchanged.

Give them a try.

Last edited:
Back