New S2 Studio!

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
44922878151_479d70c83f_h.jpg

Got mine last November after a 7 month wait and it plays and feels great, but I hate the bridge pickup, sorry to say. It's way too harsh for my ears, I'm getting a 4-5k bite with the tone knob at 10. I'm either rolling the tone knob down to 1-2, doing high pass filters or para eqs to get the 4K-ish frequencies out. I'm also disappointed in it's clarity of it overall, as well, especially on clean tones. I hear much better note definition on my Line 6 JTV-69, honestly. It's my first PRS too, so I'm pretty bummed out about it, was expecting to be blown away. For now, I'm using it as a spare whenever I break a string at a gig. Thought about changing the bridge pu, but leaning toward dumping it at this point.

I lowered the bridge P/U when I got mine. The bridge p/u on my S2 Studio is my favorite bridge p/u of all time. I own a Les Paul R9, a Strat with a HB in the bridge, a Custom 22 with P90s, the original 513 and a HollowBody. No comparison, for clarity and bite without any ice-pick at all, the S2 is my favorite. Don't give up!

Try lowering the bass side on the D type pickups, and getting the bridge pickup farther from the strings. I was surprised at where I had to put my pickups for the best sounds. Remember, you're tuning a Ferrari now. The pickups should not be close to the strings. Don't give up on it yet.

Thanks. I had lowered them a bit a couple months ago. But just went down to about an 1/8 inch past the pick guard. Never went that low before, but it’s better. I’ll keep at it.

I've finally managed to snag a type-D pickup on eBay UK for £50, so if I'm feeling brave, I might end up creating a one-of-a-kind S2 Studio Reclaimed Limited... Designing a new pickguard seems like it'll be the hardest part. Any suggestions?

QZHVIOG

https://imgur.com/a/QZHVIOG
A quick, fairly rough bit of photoshopping... I've tried to keep the basic outline of the scratchplate intact, but needed to change the curve at the top to incorporate the middle PU.

Man... that is hot. And, probably one of the only mods I would consider for such a rare and exotic guitar, if it were mine. I liked the sound of the Studio so much, I got a spare pick guard for my S2 Satin 22, with the intention of adding a middle pickup... and then I just bought the Studio. No regrets.

How are you planning to wire the switching? The S2 Studio has a 5 way, standard S-type switching except the middle position is neck and bridge pickups, there is no middle pickup only option. I think I like it that way, but there are so many other good sounds, I don’t have strong feelings on it. Either way it’s a great setup.

If you like the quack, “in between” neck/middle position, you’re in for a treat doing so with the type D single coils. They still get that glassy sound, but the bottom is nice and full, too.

Back