New S2 Standard Satin (at a GREAT price!)

I actually got to play one of these (satin standard 24) in my local GC. They got these in a few days ago. The satin finish is a little different and I still prefer my S2 Cu24 (which is more than likely the difference of the maple top) but it's still a very nice guitar with all the quality that one would expect from PRS.

Edit: Carl, that's exactly the one I'm talking

Those look great for a stripped down rocker!!!

Curious though, did these start coming with SE gig bags? The Sweetwater link shows an SE bag.

Very enticing mod platform. Gut the electronics, throw on a Mann trem, and away you go.

My McCarty 58 actually collects dust while my modded S2 gets all the action. I'm tempted to sell the MC58 and mod one of these with the proceeds.

I just spoke to my local GC guy - they apparently got one in, much to my surprise (Satin 24). Going to check it out later...

Just saw these on FB. Good price, in line with the new Gibson Faded series for 2016, at about $799 and $899. Nice to have competition! The Singlecut has me interested.

Damn it! I was all set to order a singlcut, and now it comes in satin? I wonder if the wife notices if i get both?

So I got to play one @ GC today...an S2 CU24 Satin in the GC-excluisve Dark Cherry Burst. I must say I liked it...alot. The finish is very...unfinishy. There you go...lots pores and grain, right all there in glorious nekkidness. The feel of the neck is really nice - you can feel much more of the wood than you can with, say, an NF3 neck, but it's nice. Looks REALLY REALLY good in person in the Cherry. Sounded excellent. Not sure how the S2 HFS/VB compare with the older ones, or even the newer ones, but these sounded pretty darn good, split well. Setup was iffy - salesman says that it came to them without strings (???) and by the way the back end of the trem was almost hitting the body, I'd say they strung it up with .09s instead of .10s.

I'm not going to get into details, but somehow, I ended up clearing out 2 more old rarely-played (non PRS) guitars of my basement, came back, and walked away with her for less than $325 out of pocket. With the bag too. That should not be against the rules to say, since I traded things in and never disclosed the actual sales price of the instrument.

btw, she sounds better with NYXL .10s and a real setup...lowered the pickups a few turns and she's really good. I am a gear whore.

So I got to play one @ GC today...an S2 CU24 Satin in the GC-excluisve Dark Cherry Burst. I must say I liked it...alot. The finish is very...unfinishy. There you go...lots pores and grain, right all there in glorious nekkidness. The feel of the neck is really nice - you can feel much more of the wood than you can with, say, an NF3 neck, but it's nice. Looks REALLY REALLY good in person in the Cherry. Sounded excellent. Not sure how the S2 HFS/VB compare with the older ones, or even the newer ones, but these sounded pretty darn good, split well. Setup was iffy - salesman says that it came to them without strings (???) and by the way the back end of the trem was almost hitting the body, I'd say they strung it up with .09s instead of .10s.

I'm not going to get into details, but somehow, I ended up clearing out 2 more old rarely-played (non PRS) guitars of my basement, came back, and walked away with her for less than $325 out of pocket. With the bag too. That should not be against the rules to say, since I traded things in and never disclosed the actual sales price of the instrument.

btw, she sounds better with NYXL .10s and a real setup...lowered the pickups a few turns and she's really good. I am a gear whore.

But... but you just got that other amazing guitar!? Lol...
Demos of both, please!!

There are more pickup variations on these S2 Cu24's than on my USA model what with the tone knob single coil modes!

Nice snag Carl! Glad to hear your impression of it. I think the Cherry Burst must be a GC exclusive, I saw one at my local store as well a couple weeks ago. This was before the announcement, and it was at a distance, so I didn't think anything of it at the time.

I'm really digging the Charcoal Black on the Singlecut and Custom 22, I think one of those will be in my future... just not sure which.

Back