new s2 opinion

All I will say is my S2 Vela is a stunning guitar for the money and holds its own next to my 10 core guitars :)
Dear OP hope you get the issue sorted and you love your new PRS.
Pics or its a Hello Kitty guitar

Yeah, sorry if I seemed overly irate, but it just struck me as odd that a brand new guitar of this price should have this issue. I took some abrasive cord from StewMac and worked the hole, but it didn't help. I know Sweetwater would deal with it, but I don't want to have to ship it back. I like the guitar, I guess I just got lucky on the trem block.

Yeah, sorry if I seemed overly irate, but it just struck me as odd that a brand new guitar of this price should have this issue. I took some abrasive cord from StewMac and worked the hole, but it didn't help. I know Sweetwater would deal with it, but I don't want to have to ship it back. I like the guitar, I guess I just got lucky on the trem block.

You've addressed the matter appropriately. Your next move is to speak with Sweetwater and ask how they could help with the situation. They might not win any accolades from you, but if their service/repair department is any good, it'd be a good time to reflect and ask yourself what other options are available.

Your sales rep might offer to take the guitar back and offer something of better quality within your budget. You just don't know, but again, Sweetwater's service is top-notch.

When you look through their options and decide on one, or decide to keep the current guitar and let their repair team put in your bridge and trem block replacements, we'll await for your report...:)

My 2 favorite gig guitars are S2’s, and yes the b string hole on both of them is a problem. The solution? Easy. I carry a large paper clip that has been partially straightened out in my gig bag. It takes an additional 3 seconds to push the ball end out from the top. Also. D'Addarios seem to be less of a problem than any other brand of strings.

Last edited:
Just a side note, you'll recognize that the build of the guitar is the foundation of your tone. If you compromise the foundation, or perhaps improve the foundation, you can expect one of 2 things: 1) tone will suffer some form of loss, or 2) tone will improve and be more pleasing to your ear.

The illustration I might use is this: Say for example, there was something of value in your home that you had misplaced. You spend an inordinate time looking for it. You look in every possible location, but cannot find what you're looking for. Then, you think to reorganize and restructure how your living space exists. You put all of your belongings in its proper place and then use a broom to take care of the loose material on your floor. It's at that point you find the item of value you misplaced, and you're elated, so you go out to celebrate finding what you had misplaced.

The same holds true for your S2. Structurally, your guitar's foundation is sound. Reorganizing and replacing a bridge or trem block may solve your problem, but it also may change the fundamental foundation of the guitar's tone. If it's possible for you to accept that potential change, you'll be happier for finding the tone you'd been looking for.

... I carry a large paper clip that has been partially straightened out in my gig bag. It takes an additional 3 seconds to push the ball end out from the top.

Where’s the pain, blood, and fun in that?

I love grabbing the short end of plain steel and trying to stuff it backwards. It doesn’t work, but then again I don’t need a finger stick to test my blood glucose level.

Where’s the pain, blood, and fun in that?

I love grabbing the short end of plain steel and trying to stuff it backwards. It doesn’t work, but then again I don’t need a finger stick to test my blood glucose level.

In the seasonal and first aid aisle of your local pharmacy. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Indeed It's widely accepted that Prs have a very low return rate and my retailer here will sort out any Instrument sold no questions asked.
try calling your retailer and politely explain your predicament. Good luck.!!!

They have short ball end string stubs, so I don’t need to wait until I break a B string off at the bridge?

Great! The VA will now be able to save dollars, instead to sending me finger sticks!

Rust, I’ve gotten away from finger-sticks altogether with a Freestyle Libre system. It’s...wonderful!! There’s one from another manufacturer, too. Other benefits are tracking your glucose levels 24/7 with visible graphs, etc. It’s changed my life. My A1c has dropped substantially.

Rust, I’ve gotten away from finger-sticks altogether with a Freestyle Libre system. It’s...wonderful!! There’s one from another manufacturer, too. Other benefits are tracking your glucose levels 24/7 with visible graphs, etc. It’s changed my life. My A1c has dropped substantially.

I’ve seen TV ads for those.
Maybe the VA will provide me with one. After all, they’re plunging headlong into 1955!

Just another FYI... I've changed MANY sets of strings where they load from the back...and I've encountered this same issue on Cores...Flenders, Flender-style, etc..., and many other much nicer guitars. If a string has had tension for a while and not been changed, sometimes they are just turds to remove. I always keep Allen wrenches around for adjustments, and have a long , skinny one around for this very problem...push the end in til it stops, and a slight tap...and viola, the ball falls out. And PRS necks are really easy to adjust...just remember...a very slight turn of the truss rod does wonders. Good luck, and I'd imagine you can get it playing great with a cheap "set-up" from a friend.

I’ve seen TV ads for those.
Maybe the VA will provide me with one. After all, they’re plunging headlong into 1955!
Only this group could turn a thread griping about bridge issues into product recommendations for diabetes equipment.

Never change, folks.

As everyone noted, that's a tough first post. Very "Troll like". But with that said, it IS an expensive guitar and while I've had the ball end of strings get stuck in Strats, it happens almost every time on my CE24. They all use the same Korean Bridge and it's clearly an issue with them. I've defended the turning stability of this bridge several times recently (after I got it properly set up) but I had temporarily forgotten about this issue. ...I guess I need to change the strings lol. It's really a small issue that I get around like some other by keeping a jewelers screw driver in my guitar case. super easy to poke the ball end out like that.

Only this group could turn a thread griping about bridge issues into product recommendations for diabetes equipment.

Never change, folks.

Let's not forget how absorbent those small patches of gauze are, either. Soaks up the drops like the earth soaks up raindrops. (Happily, my brain is not saturated yet, no need for a new one at this time.)

Never change, folks.

Hey, I’m still in 1655 (you’ve heard my harpsichord stuff)!

Diabetic harpsichord players in history would LOVE an S2! And a glucometer.

There you go: all tied together by what’s left of my brain...

Back