new s2 opinion

jp4

I bought a new S2 a few weeks ago, my 1st PRS. Nice looking whale blue, I went to change the strings and the B string wouldn't back out of the bridge, the ball end was jammed in, I wrestled with it and finally got it to break free with some needle nose. $1500 for a guitar that a string jams, ridiculous, I've had Mexican made Fender's that never did anything like that. Setup was terrible when I got it, brand new, and PRS brags about their setups, bull.The thing sounds good once I set it up, but come on Paul, where's the quality control from a so called American made guitar. My advice to anybody interested in a PRS, I'm hoping the Core models are spot on, buy a Core, don't waste your money on anything less, the KoolAid PRS serves taste good, but it's weak.

I forgot to mention, I called PRS customer service and the guy suggested there might be a burr in the hole and I should try to smooth it out some. That makes no sense, the ball end is getting stuck, jammed, wedged, whatever you want to call it, which means that hole in the block is wallowed out , the bit drifted, the hole is wrong. Laughable.

How long was it in the store? Was it on the floor? Do you know that the store didn't do a string change at some point?

These are all simple questions that might explain your issue, instead of coming here and introducing yourself with a Cleveland Steamer of a post.

Sweetwater purchase, my bad, last time I'll have a guitar shipped, too much of a hassle to send it back, I'm gonna fix it with a Mann bridge, good electronics and call it a day. I'm just saying no on an S2 to whom it may concern.

To be fair, It think we all experience some frustrations with instruments we've just purchased every once a while. However, and @Ovibos is correct, the wise course is to not vent your frustration in your first few posts, otherwise you'll end up chasing your tale in follow-up posts and wind up exhausted and worse for the wear.

That being said, how can we help you?

My suggestion would be to try speaking with PRS' PTC team on this forum (lower section of the page) and address your concerns there. This example does seem like a fluke, if you will, and something may have been the result of previous ownership, or perhaps poor maintenance, but I don't think the guitar is itself to blame. More likely the folks who cared for the guitar and were responsible for its maintenance.

Call your Sweetwater "sales engineer" and explain the issue nicely. They might help you out or hook you up. Mine just left me a voicemail the other day to 'check in.'

I got Reclaimed Limited CE24 from them and it was fine when it came, lowered the action a tad.

Call your Sweetwater "sales engineer" and explain the issue nicely. They might help you out or hook you up. Mine just left me a voicemail the other day to 'check in.'

I got Reclaimed Limited CE24 from them and it was fine when it came, lowered the action a tad.

This. Sweetwater has always been good to me, and perhaps cooler heads will prevail.

It's vital that the OP communicate calmly with his sales rep, otherwise they'd write him off as a demanding customer with issues.

This is exactly how people view these things, so my recommendation would be simply to set aside the guitar over the weekend, enjoy another activity, perhaps enjoy a walk during the daytime to clear your head, and then speak with Sweetwater Monday with a more calm demeanor.

Let it go for now. Monday the OP will feel rested and calmer.

Even though I don’t care for the tone or some of the wording as a PRS superfan...I can certainly understand the frustration, especially as someone who’s perhaps new to the brand.

Yeah, the SE trem bridge block absolutely has some issues with string balls getting caught, I own four SE’s (I think) with trems and all of them had/have the issue that’s described, and I’ve spent a decent amount of my millions of posts saying how I wished the vendor PRS uses just went to the next size up on drill bits for them for that reason.

I'm gonna fix it with a Mann bridge, good electronics and call it a day.

Best course of action, really. You won’t be disappointed.

Even though I don’t care for the tone or some of the wording as a PRS superfan...I can certainly understand the frustration, especially as someone who’s perhaps new to the brand.

Yeah, the SE trem bridge block absolutely has some issues with string balls getting caught, I own four SE’s (I think) with trems and all of them had/have the issue that’s described, and I’ve spent a decent amount of my millions of posts saying how I wished the vendor PRS uses just went to the next size up on drill bits for them for that reason.

Best course of action, really. You won’t be disappointed.

Serg, if this also the case with some S2 trem-bridge guitars?

You had a ball end get stuck, and you didn’t like the setup, so you decided to tell the world that these guitars are sh*t? On the company provided forum they’re nice enough to provide, where we’re all trying to have a nice time?

You can’t just write off a whole category of instruments because there was one “bad one” out there, although that’s being generous to your evaluation, I think you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill and just wanted something to whine about.

Plenty of people, myself included, have gotten S2’s and use them without issue.

Go whine on TGP or something.

Serg, if this also the case with some S2 trem-bridge guitars?

Yes. The SE and S2 trem are the same. I have an S2 Custom 22 Standard - that I love, and is a KILLER guitar - but sometimes the ball end of a string will get trapped. It's nothing that is difficult to get around. I just use needle nose pliers to twist the string a little and push it out. Occasionally I'll need to use a jewlers screwdriver to poke the string.

I always thought Fender Bullet end strings were a solution looking for a problem.

I think they were marketing then about the same time as Squires were being made in Korea.

String jams are a part of guitaring, like breaking strings. I’ve had to use pliers on a few Strats too.
I love my S2 btw.

Yes. The SE and S2 trem are the same. I have an S2 Custom 22 Standard - that I love, and is a KILLER guitar - but sometimes the ball end of a string will get trapped. It's nothing that is difficult to get around. I just use needle nose pliers to twist the string a little and push it out. Occasionally I'll need to use a jewlers screwdriver to poke the string.

Are there any viable solutions other than Bullet-tip string ends? That seems the OP's only solution that calls for sending the string end through the trem without binding or catching. Sometimes folks throw money or stuff at problems that don't require it. We don't need to draw him a picture.

And Mark, thanks for seeing a solution that will help the OP, not encourage him to sing a Rich McCready tune ad infinitum...unless that is what will help allow him to vent his angst without feeling any unnecessary humiliation. :)

FTR, the one who is "looking for solutions" is not necessarily the guy in the boat with his rod and reel. It's what bait he is using to attract the fish originally. If he's soaked the bait in vinegar, he won't "catch" anything. Honey vs. vinegar, folks.

Vinegar I use for spray cleaner and the occasional salad or cabbage-based coleslaw. Honey tastes a heluva lot better on the palate, and balances the really sour with some sweetness.

Last edited:
Take a deep breath, and relax. Just call your dealer, and have them sort things out for you. Trust me when I say, life is way tooo short for you to stress out about a guitar that can be returned, or made right. I know it can be frustrating, but in the end I know everything will work out for you. Enjoy your new PRS.

I sympathize in the sense that it REALLY sucks when buying something new, something you've been looking forward to, and the product either doesn't meet your expectations or brings some level of disappointment. I've been there multiple times, with guitars and other purchases. I've also had the string get stuck in the bridge before, which can be really frustrating, especially if it happens at a show or practice, when time is of the essence. I get it, it sucks.

However, coming to a company sponsored forum to simply "breath fire" and insult the integrity of the entire company based off of one (some would consider rather minor) instance is a bit brash.

I'd recommend the same thing everybody else here has mentioned. Take a deep breath, see where the problem is and how to prevent it in the future. If you're not happy with the overall experience, get in contact with the seller and see if they can help resolve the issue or compensate you for out-of-pocket costs.

No guitar is perfect, it doesn't matter the brand. PRS is a very reputable brand with a very strong consistency in producing a reliable, well-crafted product. But, just like any other brand of any other product out there, things slip through the cracks sometimes. If you do keep the guitar, I'm sure you'll find that PRS has some of the absolute best customer service when it comes to righting a wrong.

Good luck, I hope you find your fix and can get to playing your new PRS. Maybe the Kool-Aid will taste better once all the dust settles.

...I'd recommend the same thing everybody else here has mentioned. Take a deep breath, see where the problem is and how to prevent it in the future. If you're not happy with the overall experience, get in contact with the seller and see if they can help resolve the issue or compensate you for out-of-pocket costs.

No guitar is perfect, it doesn't matter the brand. PRS is a very reputable brand with a very strong consistency in producing a reliable, well-crafted product. But, just like any other brand of any other product out there, things slip through the cracks sometimes. If you do keep the guitar, I'm sure you'll find that PRS has some of the absolute best customer service when it comes to righting a wrong.

Good luck, I hope you find your fix and can get to playing your new PRS. Maybe the Kool-Aid will taste better once all the dust settles.

Perhaps (and a reminder to myself) is, only when we buy something should we take out our wallets. Once it's ours, it's up to us to maintain it. Otherwise, some advice to the OP is, don't throw money at a project until you've considered what else will solve your QC issues, and put away our wallets. Let Sweetwater's tech team help you solve your problem.

I bought a new S2 a few weeks ago, my 1st PRS. Nice looking whale blue, I went to change the strings and the B string wouldn't back out of the bridge, the ball end was jammed in, I wrestled with it and finally got it to break free with some needle nose. $1500 for a guitar that a string jams, ridiculous, I've had Mexican made Fender's that never did anything like that. Setup was terrible when I got it, brand new, and PRS brags about their setups, bull.The thing sounds good once I set it up, but come on Paul, where's the quality control from a so called American made guitar. My advice to anybody interested in a PRS, I'm hoping the Core models are spot on, buy a Core, don't waste your money on anything less, the KoolAid PRS serves taste good, but it's weak.
I have a Se custom 24 and a Se Santana standard. Both made in Indonesia. I have experienced this Issue on both guitars on several occasions. Normally just using a fragment of a large gauge string
Push’s it out but once I had a real problem and it took about 10 minutes to get it out. Not ideal. Not a mark of supreme quality. But I didn’t think it was a real big deal.
For the prices I think both the s2 and Se models are as good a deal to be found
My 2 cents

Back