New Recording Tool....

markd21

Back in the late 90's - maybe early 2000's....who remembers (lol) - I ordered an interesting guitar from a new company called Brian Moore Guitars. The neat feature was the piezo/13-pin MIDI system from RMC that was factory installed. That guitar (and a Roland GR30 synth) was a constant in my recording arsenal. When I went on my massive PRS purchasing binge, I sent the Brian Moore to a new home. By then it was ok - I hadn't been using the guitar because the tracking/triggering/after effects with the Roland synth weren't cutting it anymore. I had moved onto to actually playing keys, and the guitar synth was not able to hang.

Well, there are some things that I just found difficult to transfer from strings to keys. Violin leads, quick flute runs, etc....

That brings me to this post. With the release, and continued positive reviews of the Fishman Tripleplay, I decided it was time to go back to having a MIDI guitar available. So, while part of this is about the Fishman, the rest is about the guitar I attached it to....

A 2017 SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow!!!

Now, I will admit that I wasn't sure I would dig this set-up which is why I went SE. What would be ideal - and maybe something I'll do down the road - would be to grab a fixed bridge P22 and add the Tripleplay then I basically have everything the Brian Moore was. My P22 has a trem and it didn't look like the MIDI pickup would fit. But I digress...

This SE is AWESOME!!!! It took a couple minutes adjusting the truss rod to get it where I like it, but that's to be expected. Whatever the pickups are - I think the 85/15S (?) - are pretty neat. They sound good clean, which is what I care about on my MIDI guitar. I did think it sounded a little too scooped for me with any drive, and really don't like them with a "Marshall" type rig. But clean - they are killer. That suits my needs best for this guitar anyway.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bdhkw2]

I have had SE's over the years and they always impress. This guitar is no different. The only thing I am surprised about it is that the pickups don't split. Oh well. I thought they did on all the Custom models, but no biggie.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bdhkNK]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NQPu7P]

Anyway, I am super pleased and VERY excited to get back into integrating MIDI guitar into my recorded work!!!!
[/url][/url][/url]

Looks great...enjoy. I agree that sometimes it’s more inspirational to be able to enter midi data with your guitar...I went a different route...with a little help from the PTC. Tracks much better than the RMC in my departed Brian Moore.

VSyqmKW.jpg

vNwBPEV.jpg

Nice. :cool:

If I understand it right (and I'm unsure about that!) there is a wireless link from pickup to computer. If you wanted to gig this more easily, can the softwear run from an iPad or similar?

I have a Fishman Tripleplay Strat. I've never gotten it to track as cleanly as I would like. If you get it dialed in, please let me know!!

Looks great...enjoy. I agree that sometimes it’s more inspirational to be able to enter midi data with your guitar...I went a different route...with a little help from the PTC. Tracks much better than the RMC in my departed Brian Moore.

Man!! That's awesome!! I am hoping this Fishman tracks as great as all the reviews say....

Nice. :cool:

If I understand it right (and I'm unsure about that!) there is a wireless link from pickup to computer. If you wanted to gig this more easily, can the softwear run from an iPad or similar?

Yes, it's wireless. There is a USB key that plugs into the computer. For live play, you could bring a mobile laptop/interface rig. From what I read there is also a micro USB to 13 pin adapter. Not sure about IOS - I don't use Apple stuff. I am sure there must be considering how many people DO use IOS.

I have a Fishman Tripleplay Strat. I've never gotten it to track as cleanly as I would like. If you get it dialed in, please let me know!!

Will do!! Haven't done too much with the Fishman yet. Been enjoying the guitar too much!!!

I’ve been seriously contemplating getting a Roland/hex/synth pickup again. I play keys and guitar in my present band, and find it difficult to switch back and forth mid-song for some parts.

I actually already own a Roland guitar synth and a 13 pin cable.. just no pickup. Is the Fishman superior?

Bangin’! SE btw. I own one of those and it’s a ridiculously great sounding guitar.

I actually already own a Roland guitar synth and a 13 pin cable.. just no pickup. Is the Fishman superior?

I don't know yet. I had a GK2A equipped strat and was never happy with the tracking. It could have been my technique at the time - we're talking almost 20 years ago. I was still a shredder back then and played with a lot of legato. I still do, so I am intrigued to see if the Fishman IS any better. I have read a lot of reviews and the majority of them say the Fishman is better, but I still really think it comes down to fine adjustments with the pickup and having the appropriate "clean" technique.

The Fishman does come with software that allows you to make adjustments to the individual polepieces so that each little pickup responds evenly. That should be very helpful in making sure the tracking is "better". The coolest thing that I can see is that the Fishman allows you to utilize soft synths and control plugins within your DAW. I am not sure the Roland can do that because the last time I had one the GR09 and VG88 were brand new!!!

I'd say bust out the Roland guitar and give it a run. Roland's stuff is always solid.

Bangin’! SE btw. I own one of those and it’s a ridiculously great sounding guitar.

Thanks! Yeah, I have barely been able to put it down. I am not even messing with the MIDI stuff yet, lol.

Last edited:
Back