New PRS strings out

“We’re here interviewing the World’s Oldest Guitar Player. Sir, I’m here on behalf of the American Musical History Project, would you mind telling me your name?”

“Name’s Noah, son.”

“Noah, I see. Last name?”

“Just Noah.”

“So, Noah, would that be like the guy in the Bible?”

“No, it’s Noah, as in I’m THE Noah. What’s on your mind?”

“Well, sir, I’m...well, I’m honored to say the least. Uh...mind telling us what guitar you play?”

“PRS.”

“Why’s that, sir?”

“Birds. I learned to like birds on the boat. And the guitar sounds good.”

“What strings do you use?”

“I’ve been using Pure Nickel Wrap strings since before the Flood. I’m kind of old-school. I like the tone.”

“They had electric guitars before the Flood? Just when was the Flood?”

“1958. That’s 5,000 years ago.”

“Uhm..Noah...I don’t want to alarm you, but 1958 was only 61 years ago, and there was no Great Flood that year.”

“My basement flooded that year. Seems like 5,000 years. Year I got married.”

“I see. Do you plan on switching to the new PRS Signature Strings?”

“Well, I might try two sets. I like pairs of things.”

Hmm...sounds like EB Cobalts, which were a secret weapon of mine for a couple of years. Now I’m a lot more like Les and prefer the old skool all nickel wound stuff...real vintage. Interesting development, though.

Honestly, I can’t think of a reason not to try the new strings, play ‘em for a while, and see how things work out.

“We’re here interviewing the World’s Oldest Guitar Player. Sir, I’m here on behalf of the American Musical History Project, would you mind telling me your name?”

“Name’s Noah, son.”

“Noah, I see. Last name?”

“Just Noah.”

“So, Noah, would that be like the guy in the Bible?”

“No, it’s Noah, as in I’m THE Noah. What’s on your mind?”

“Well, sir, I’m...well, I’m honored to say the least. Uh...mind telling us what guitar you play?”

“PRS.”

“Why’s that, sir?”

“Birds. I learned to like birds on the boat. And the guitar sounds good.”

“What strings do you use?”

“I’ve been using Pure Nickel Wrap strings since before the Flood. I’m kind of old-school. I like the tone.”

“They had electric guitars before the Flood? Just when was the Flood?”

“1958. That’s 5,000 years ago.”

“Uhm..Noah...I don’t want to alarm you, but 1958 was only 61 years ago, and there was no Great Flood that year.”

“My basement flooded that year. Seems like 5,000 years. Year I got married.”

“I see. Do you plan on switching to the new PRS Signature Strings?”

“Well, I might try two sets. I like pairs of things.”

I bought a 10 pack the last time I was @ the factory, the last thing I want is to like the new strings when I still have 5 of the old ones left. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only reason I need to NOT check out the new ones.

Unless someone can confirm there are 10 packs of the new ones available? :D

I am going to try some pure nickel on the ME as it's a bit brighter than I'd necessarily always want. Which ones do you use?

I’ve been using the Sono-Tone Vintage, pure nickel wrap, hex core, 10-46. They’re brighter than my former go-to, the D’Addario pure nickels, but warmer than the nickel plated steel strings the guitars came with. Kind of a ‘best of both worlds’ string.

They also feel good under the fingers, stay in tune very well, and seem to last a long time. They were recommended by Kingsley D, who’s a heck of a good player who always has good tone, and I think it was a good suggestion.

The drawback is they’re kind of pricy, but I have very dry hands, so my strings last a long time.

However, on the 594 Soapbar, for some reason I’ve stuck with the original PRS-branded strings like the strings it came with, because it sounds great with them, and I really have had no complaints about the PRS strings in any case. I think I’ll try one of the PRS Signature sets on that guitar first.

PRSi thoughtful engineering makes string changes a pure joy for me. A pleasant emancipation from the innate stress of acoustic 12 string rewires. Just look at it! My soul quivers ...
sNJ4U3fy_o.png

I’ve been using the Sono-Tone Vintage, pure nickel wrap, hex core, 10-46. They’re brighter than my former go-to, the D’Addario pure nickels, but warmer than the nickel plated steel strings the guitars came with. Kind of a ‘best of both worlds’ string.

They also feel good under the fingers, stay in tune very well, and seem to last a long time. They were recommended by Kingsley D, who’s a heck of a good player who always has good tone, and I think it was a good suggestion.

The drawback is they’re kind of pricy, but I have very dry hands, so my strings last a long time.

However, on the 594 Soapbar, for some reason I’ve stuck with the original PRS-branded strings like the strings it came with, because it sounds great with them, and I really have had no complaints about the PRS strings in any case. I think I’ll try one of the PRS Signature sets on that guitar first.

Thanks for the info! I just got the D'Addarios and put them on. If they end up too dull too fast, I'll definitely check out the Sono-Tones.

Hmm...sounds like EB Cobalts, which were a secret weapon of mine for a couple of years. Now I’m a lot more like Les and prefer the old skool all nickel wound stuff...real vintage. Interesting development, though.

That'd be a big ol' ball of ick for me. I've never disliked any strings as much as the Cobalts. I bought a couple of sets, strung up one guitar, and they felt like sanding cords to me. Not quite as bad as barbed wire, but I had an immediate visceral hate for them. I think I found some poor sucker to give away the remaining set to.

That'd be a big ol' ball of ick for me. I've never disliked any strings as much as the Cobalts. I bought a couple of sets, strung up one guitar, and they felt like sanding cords to me. Not quite as bad as barbed wire, but I had an immediate visceral hate for them. I think I found some poor sucker to give away the remaining set to.
My initial reaction wasn’t that polarized, but I did see it as a personal challenge to my callouses. They burned thru them like a wire saw! But after a couple of months, my callouses were better for it and I kind of felt like a kid again, finally not bleeding all over the rosewood fingerboard of my Les Paul.o_O

The more present tone was attractive when I was gigging my DGT and Super Dallas weekly and needed to stand out a little more, but those days are gone. I, too, used the Sono-Tone nickel wrap 10s and 11s for over a year and really liked them. The price increase after my 3rd purchase totally turned me off and I’m back to EB and D’Addario.

Oh yeah, I also didn't like the way the Cobalts sounded. They sounded as abrasive as they felt.

Back