New PRS STANDARD HAS A PROBLEM

scott jeffrey

Hello-my wife and I bought my son Sam a PRS Standard from Sweetwater Sound for his 16th birthday and a Jim Hendrix Wah Pedal. He's an excellent guitarist and was so excited. Just got it today. Problem is, the guitar has a very loud buzz, almost like electrical interference. I've plugged it in various amps, even my BOSE and it still buzzes, even changed buildings. It's on and off, mostly on. I've tried to isolate the buzz, eliminated bad cord possibilities etc, even disconnected his pedals (wah and effects) and it buzzes on and off. Played or when he just taps the body of the guitar. The wah makes the buzz even louder when he taps it. I've been playing a long time but I'm an acoustic guy. Any thoughts? Could it be a short in the guitar? I should mention, it doesn't buzz unless he plays the strings or moves or taps the guitar...thanks for your help,

Hey I also should mention, at one point, a radio station came in when he pushed the Wah pedal, no kidding...could use your help.

Since you say it only buzzes when he plays, or sounds like a bad ground connection in the guitar. Sweetwater should take care of it.

As for the wah picking up radio signals, that's very common.

Okay-it appears as though my problem may not be with the guitar after all. But it's a problem nonetheless. I'm a pastor, and the problem was occurring in our church but also at our parsonage next door, so my conclusion was, it's the guitar. We play mainly through a Bose PS1 at the church, but also have a supplementary system that runs through a soundboard. The buzz occurred on both. It's exaggerated by the Wah and by an effects pedal but can be minimized if my son chooses a preset without much gain or overdrive etc. It's too noticeable to play in our service. His Washburn acoustic picks up the buzz but can be eliminated by turning down the Bose's gain (way down) My Taylor isn't affected by it at all. On a Whim, we plugged in an old electric Fender we have, and it buzzed just like the new PRS. I took the PRS next door and plugged it into a cheap little fender amp with all the pedals, no buzz. Can I conclude then that it's not the new PRS but rather some electric field issue? Or is it possible that the cheap little fender Amp just doesn't pick up the buzz. Our church was built a long time ago and has pretty bad electric. It didn't help that it was struck by lightning a year ago which fried my Bose and the MAC in the sound booth. I have more sophisticated surge protectors now, but maybe that lightning strike is still affecting the sound. Will buying an EMF eliminator like a BUZZ-X help? Or could it still be the guitar. Any thoughts? We'd like to be able to use the PRS in the service if possible. Maybe I should buy a decent separate Amp, rather than run it through Bose? Thanks for all your help.

Oh were you plugging the guitar straight into the PA? Not generally recommended. You'll want a preamp to go between guitar and PA. There are dedicated boxes, or some modern stand alone guitar amps have a line out, or you can mic a guitar amp speaker.

Guitars are still usually using 70+ year old technology and send a high impedance signal that doesn't play well with hi-fi systems.

His guitar runs into a wah pedal, which runs into an effects pedal, which I run straight into the Bose Tonematch guitar input. At home we run the guitar into a wah pedal, which runs into an effects pedal, which runs straight into his fender amp input. Should there be something in between the effects pedal and the Bose, or between the effects pedal and his amp?If so, could you recommend something, relatively inexpensive? I've heard about a lehle product called the Little Dual, but it's easy to spend a small fortune if you're not sure what you're doing. (which i don't really) What would you suggest here? Thanks for your help by the way, I really appreciate it.

The signal chain into the amp is fine.

I'm not well versed with PA systems and pre-amps, but I think you'd want some sort of amp emulation going into the PA. Or just bring along the guitar amp and mic it.

guitar will need a preamp at very least if you are running straight into a PA. Look for one with speaker cabinet emulation for a decent tone

Theres a joke in there about Santanas, devil music and church wiring....

Back