New PRS SE 594 models

Nice move putting the 594 in the SE line - I've been hoping for them to start putting the 2 piece bridge on SE's. Not so much for myself to buy one, I just think it'll be good for those in that market.

I also notice the S2's and SE's now have 58/15 LT "S" pickups, previously they were just 58/15 (non LT). Interested to hear the difference.

@ScottR also said the guy who just bought an S2 594 and replaced the pickups with the USA version... in the last week!

It's all good though, still saved some $ over the anniversary, and I think the sustain on this one is very special.
Yeah, truthfully I wouldn’t trade the one I have for two of the 10th Anniversary ones. Mainly because it’s the first guitar my wife has ever given me. But like yours, this one just sings! I’ll eventually do some 57/08s or some of the 58/15 LTs. I put some SD Seth Lovers in my SE245 and it screams but I love the LT’s I’ve heard and I’m leaning towards them for the S2 (today). But the 57/08s are still my OG favorite PRS pickups.

Last edited:
My guess is 2015-16?

That’s just when I noticed some very slight differences and started snooping around and asking questions.
I was looking at John Mann’s site yesterday. His replacement vibrato bridges fit cores pre-2017. So that’s likely when they changed. And PRS normally does running changes. So if it’s a 2016 or 2017 model you’d have to find something to physically identify which one you have.

Same! Feb 10 isn't too far away, but its as bad as a new box from Dave's. The waiting around for the wire of life to happen is a real theme.
Yeah I actually changed my order to a single cut. I’ve had both, and it really doesn’t make much difference to me. Right now the cores I have are single cuts. So I ordered a double cut to have one in my life again. Then I noticed Sweetwater had the singlecuts, in the color wanted (which imo is way more important than sc or dc haha), “in house waiting to be inspected”. So I called my guy and he said they did have them and would be shipping them in the next couple of days, and the double cuts could be a month or two out. He wasn’t sure when they would get them. And maybe he was trying to move stock. But he got me to switch my order to a double cut. Haha.

And if I like this one enough. And need a spare. I’ll get a double cut then.

My guess is 2015-16?

That’s just when I noticed some very slight differences and started snooping around and asking questions.
I was looking at John Mann’s site yesterday. His replacement vibrato bridges fit cores pre-2017. So that’s likely when they changed. And PRS normally does running changes. So if it’s a 2016 or 2017 model you’d have to find something to physically identify which one you have.
That would be why I never noticed a change. My newest trem model is a 2015 P22 Trem.

The finish does it for me, I never liked the feel of the poly finish that comes on the SE’s. The S2 gets the same finish that’s on the cores
My preference is the SE finish. I only play at home, sitting 99 % of the time, and I have chips on all but one of my S2 models. Have zero clue how all got there as well. I am sure the thin finish on my S2’s has its merits, but durability is not one of its strong points.

My guess is 2015-16?

2017 is when PRS went to the Gen III, which has the larger pivot screws. That's a significant spec change, so would be a logical time to switch makers.

Well, I can only claim to be a PRS customer since 2018... a scant 5 years. But in that time, we have seen SE pricing go from starting at $500 (for a CU24 Standard) to $900 + for the SE McCarty line...

The S2 line, would appear to be in grave "marketing " jeopardy, as an S2 McCarty 594 is about $1,000 more... and for what ?

Woof! Seriously, what the point of the S2 line?
I think the PRS marketing team, may have stepped in it with this move. As the S2 line, albeit fine guitars, will be hard pressed to justify the price delta. BUT ... in the 5 years I have been a PRS customer, I have gotten "brave" enough to buy "Commie Guitars" (not a comment on the governments where they are made ) ... But a snide way of saying ... They ain't Amurrican Made !

It took the off-the- cuff comments of some sales dudes regarding MIM vs Asian manufacture, for me to even buy my first SE (I'm now up to 4) But in doing this , I have taken note of other fine instruments made in the Indonesian part of the world, that are fine instruments... that for some reason, have not escalated in price as fast as my "beloved" SE's (Sire, EART, HB and a host of others)

We used to be able to say, the SE "punch well above their weight" . But compared to other Indonesian made sweeties, they are getting decidedly porky price wise ... and are only "bargains " when compared to their High priced Amurrican S2 and Core cousins.

Now, I have paid more for an SE guitar . I bought 2 SE Hollowbodies. Love them both. and Like , well they are HOLLOW !!! (and sound great, without the need of any modifications, except the solid brass bridge studs , which probably look cooler than they add to tone... but they do reduce bridge lean) So one might expect to pay more ...

But to go to $950 for something I was accustomed to paying less than $700 for a coupla years ago (SE CU24 Customs) and considering recent Indo guitars by Sire and even HB) ... I'm thinking my KoolAid is not strong enough ...Then there is the super chunky neck carve, that was a no go for me, in the S2 versions at $1,900 and probably still at $950 ... so

And the S2 still do not have Amurrican pickups as some have stated above ( The Anniversary Models do, only 1000 made ?). So I'm non-plussed at this point ... I'm wondering how an S version 58/15 (which I like in my SE Hollowbodies, and my S2 594 Thinline) compare to a "LT" version ???

Back when the S2 McCarty was introduced , it was Phil McKnight who threw shade on the S version of the 58/15 (relative to the Core). But others (like me) have found, that in guitars that were not nearly as chunky, (the 594 Thinline and the Hollowbody) the 58/15S was waay cool. I'm wondering how a lower output version of the pickup will sound in the chunky guitar ...

Recall the Core 594 Singlecuts, got the 58/15+ because of ( I think) its relative extra chunkyness. So I don't know how a lower output S version .... is going to compare to the regular S version in such a chunky guitar ...

Last edited:
The brand new SE McCarty 594 SC is phenomenal. So much better than I anticipated. With a handful of quick upgrades (replaced knobs with black lampshades, installing Kluson Revolution vintage gold locking tuners when they arrive tomorrow - the prs vintage locking tuners that are direct replacement on all mccarty 594 models have been out of stock everywhere I looked... but keeping the stock silver ring/collar, and dropping in the kluson locking revolution tuners in gold with the perloid buttons will have the same vibe from the top as the PRS upgrade, and from the back, the gold will look great anyways (my se 594 is blue, and has silver with gold accents on the bridge/etc). I was just posting in another thread that I've been going back and forth on upgrading the pups to the American core LT/LT+ (I think core SC is LT+?) vs... $500 isn't crazy given I got the guitar from a store going out of business brand new, this year's model for like $650... But I've also been watching pretty much everywhere for a 2020 or later core model 594 in mint/excellent condition for a decent price... Has anyone here upgraded the pups in the SE 594 to the 85/15 LT core models? Curious how they sounded in the SE body...

I have tried several pickups and ended up with a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries. I wanted to try the PAF Masters but these are very good so I am not inclined to change them.

I was completely blown away when I recently tested out several SE 594’s. EVERY single one had that inherent fat woody resonant tone. I mean, c’mon! For this hopeless admirer of exotic private stock fare, African Blackwood and Pernambuco necks, Rembrandt tops, Celtic Knots and religious adherent of inherent tonal excellence to be so impressed, well I think I surprised myself at the amount of territory these SE 594’s stole in my heart from my private stocks. I have no problem with that. I love ‘em all. All guitars are beautiful except when they’re not.

I see every SE 594 like an exquisite thing now, barring the occasional one with nut issues and such (they will still sound good though).

I only wish I could adopt all the SE 594’s discarded and listed on resale sites. What’s wrong with these people? This is like a quasi 59 event happening, don’t they realise? I just hope PRS / Cortek don’t change a thing. Keep it up and so very well done.

Last edited:
Back