New PRS SE 594 models

Sweetwater has the 10th anniversary 594 listed at $2399. Yeah I’m sticking with my SE. Fwiw that’s very close to what I paid for my used artist package SC594. That’s why I can’t see paying $1500 for a used S2. There’s some really good deals on cores if you’re patient. And maybe I could get a used S2 for around $1k if I was patient. But they’re making some killer SE guitars right now. And if the SE 594 is anything like my SE Paul’s. I’ll be over the moon.
The price isn’t that bad… the regular S2 594 is $1950. The LT pickups are $500 if you buy separately, the us wiring is $50-$75. And you get mother of pearl birds which i think look cool. It’s a win!

The price isn’t that bad… the regular S2 594 is $1950. The LT pickups are $500 if you buy separately, the us wiring is $50-$75. And you get mother of pearl birds which i think look cool. It’s a win!
That 10th anny is tickling my dangly bits! Dammit Paul quit putting out these tempting morsels! I don't need another, but of course I want another!
:oops:

Oh I agree. This price is fairly reasonable. But I’ve seen used core 594’s under $3k. And I found two killer deals for well under $3k. Both artist packages and one with a rosewood neck. I’ll admit you probably won’t see those deals too often. And I got super lucky.

But if the 10th anni S2 594 is $2400 and you can get a used core 10 top 594 for $2999. Which one are you buying?

I’m sure they’ll sell a ton of these new S2’s. Because they do have the 58/15LT’s and are about 1/2 the price of a new core 594. So I can see the appeal. It’s just that there’s so many options now. And that’s good thing. But for me, I’m either buying an SE for a banger/modded guitar, or a looking for a good deal on a used core. Just my .02.

Oh I agree. This price is fairly reasonable. But I’ve seen used core 594’s under $3k. And I found two killer deals for well under $3k. Both artist packages and one with a rosewood neck. I’ll admit you probably won’t see those deals too often. And I got super lucky.

But if the 10th anni S2 594 is $2400 and you can get a used core 10 top 594 for $2999. Which one are you buying?

I’m sure they’ll sell a ton of these new S2’s. Because they do have the 58/15LT’s and are about 1/2 the price of a new core 594. So I can see the appeal. It’s just that there’s so many options now. And that’s good thing. But for me, I’m either buying an SE for a banger/modded guitar, or a looking for a good deal on a used core. Just my .02.
Well I’ve wanted a 594 since they released the S2’s and I just never pulled the trigger, glad I held out until today ;)

There’s no such thing as a U.S. made bridge, and there hasn’t been for years.
I don’t doubt you. But why do they mention the S2 models using “import” hardware? Is there two kinds of imported bridges? One for the SE and one for the core? Or are they all using the same bridges? And making a something about nothing? Just trying to learn something.

I don’t doubt you. But why do they mention the S2 models using “import” hardware? Is there two kinds of imported bridges? One for the SE and one for the core? Or are they all using the same bridges? And making a something about nothing? Just trying to learn something.
I have no idea, unless they’re referring to the SE trem, but even then the Core trem is presently made by the same Korean company that makes the hardtails and two piece stoptails.

It’s not like they’re lying about anything, they’re just not saying where the stuff is made.

Nice move putting the 594 in the SE line - I've been hoping for them to start putting the 2 piece bridge on SE's. Not so much for myself to buy one, I just think it'll be good for those in that market.

I also notice the S2's and SE's now have 58/15 LT "S" pickups, previously they were just 58/15 (non LT). Interested to hear the difference.

@ScottR also said the guy who just bought an S2 594 and replaced the pickups with the USA version... in the last week!

It's all good though, still saved some $ over the anniversary, and I think the sustain on this one is very special.

I have no idea, unless they’re referring to the SE trem, but even then the Core trem is presently made by the same Korean company that makes the hardtails and two piece stoptails.

It’s not like they’re lying about anything, they’re just not saying where the stuff is made.
Well that makes sense. After getting my SE Paul’s guitar I asked tech support if it was the exact same bridge (with brass inserts) as the US model. And they told me it was. So I’m guessing one company is making all the hardware, just in some cases two specs. One for SE and S2 models and one for core models. And in some cases it’s exactly the same. But now I’m wondering about the SE 594 bridge. Haha. Brian said it’s made out of the same materials and same design as the core bridge. So I’ll go out on a limb and say it’s the exact same thing.

Well that makes sense. After getting my SE Paul’s guitar I asked tech support if it was the exact same bridge (with brass inserts) as the US model. And they told me it was. So I’m guessing one company is making all the hardware, just in some cases two specs. One for SE and S2 models and one for core models. And in some cases it’s exactly the same. But now I’m wondering about the SE 594 bridge. Haha. Brian said it’s made out of the same materials and same design as the core bridge. So I’ll go out on a limb and say it’s the exact same thing.
Yeah, I forget the name of the company and don’t feel like googling it to sound smart, but I think it’s Haan Chang or something like that. It’s a huge metal fabrication business that makes stuff for all kinds of industries, and as evidenced by their products, they do great work.

But coming from MilCom/Mann and then Excel, and owning and living with several examples of the older trems, when I got a new guitar in 2017 (with a 2016 finish date) I noticed little things that changed.

I poked around and asked questions and instead of PRS saying who made them, they just said one of their “vendors” made them. Eventually I got the skinny from someone who no longer works there but did when they switched.

I became intrigued (totally not suspicious) when they started putting like, $300 (retail when Excel was still making them) bridges on SE’s that were like, $599.

These really look interesting to me....especially with the LT pickups.
Anyone know what the fret size is on these?
I haven't been able to find anything on any websites (so far).
I played a couple of the Core 594's a few years back and the frets seemed pretty big/tall on them.
Know it's weird these days, but I'm not a fan of big/tall frets.

These really look interesting to me....especially with the LT pickups.
Anyone know what the fret size is on these?
I haven't been able to find anything on any websites (so far).
I played a couple of the Core 594's a few years back and the frets seemed pretty big/tall on them.
Know it's weird these days, but I'm not a fan of big/tall frets.
I think they are medium jumbos but dont quote me on that.

I just purchased an S2 McCarty 594 SC a month ago. Let's compare it with the SE model.
So, for $1000 more I get:
A different body carve
A full maple top with figuring that will 99 times out of 100 look worse than a veneer top
Gold logo
Lamp Shade control knobs
A black pickup switch knob
Pickup rings like the Core
Possibly a metal truss rod cover with a black screw?
A USA serial # on back of headstock
A black soft case

Wow, that is a lot for $1000 extra....total sarcasm here!

Seems to me, that PRS just killed the S2 line.
I feel like a sucker!

I just purchased an S2 McCarty 594 SC a month ago. Let's compare it with the SE model.
A different body carve
A full maple top with figuring that will 99 times out of 100 look worse than a veneer top
Gold logo
Lamp Shade control knobs
A black soft case

I feel like a sucker!
I don’t think so. All of my S2’s are a step above. Not a giant step, but better. But I bought all but one of my S2’s used, and waited for a comfortable price.

A different body carve
Gold logo
Lamp Shade control knobs
A black soft case

I feel like a sucker!

With S2 you get improvements where it really matters, IMO.

Superior woods (maybe an arguable point, but one-piece body, all woods sourced and dried directly by PRS, two-piece top with no veneers)
Superior finish
Superior nut
Superior frets
Superior workmanship (not a knock on SE, but the Maryland guitars are at another level)

I've been saying for a long time (apparently 10 years, wow) that the S2 is the sweet spot in the lineup as far as value goes for a truly quality instrument.

That said, that SE Singlecut Standard is really doin' it for me. Straight up rock n roll machine.

These look really great, but I do wish they'd included the Thinline. I had an S2 Thinline 594 and it was really great. Stupidly sold it and I've missed it ever since.

edit: looks like they (very quietly) updated the Zach Myers to have a 24.594" scale as well. Same color and hardware, but it makes sense to consolidate the neck to match. Still a Wide Fat neck.

vs the 2022 model:

Both listings still use the same photo, amusingly enough, as does the 2021 listing. Top carve is now listed as a "shallow violin" rather than beveled carve.

Last edited:
These look really great, but I do wish they'd included the Thinline. I had an S2 Thinline 594 and it was really great. Stupidly sold it and I've missed it ever since.
I wonder how the new SE 594 Standard will compare. It's all mahogany but singlecut, and it has the Pattern Vintage neck rather than the Pattern Thin that's on the thinline.

I have a core 594. With that said, if I were in the market for a 594 today, I would be giving serious thoughts to buying the new SE 594 double cut and gutting the electronics and pickups and putting in the same electronics and pickups that my core model has. They have the pickups available right now for $500. I think you would end up with a very nice guitar for a lot less money. I would put the lampshade knobs on it too.

I think I would want to do something similar with the SE DGT. Getting the pickups would be much more difficult so I may give the stock pickups a try but would put the US electronics in it.

They made the SE line very strong this year. I am wondering if that was maybe not a great idea. This could take some sales away from the S2 line and maybe the core line due to the price differences.

Back