New PRS SE 594 models

Yes the SE game is now very strong. My SE Paul’s being so good is why I jumped at an SE 594. Even though I have a core 594. I wanted a “beater” I can mod and play out with and not worry about.

As far as electronics go, the demos sound really really good. I may eventually grab a set of 58/15LT’s to put in there. But for live I figure the stock pickups will be close enough. I bought my SE Paul’s mostly because I have a set of Fishman Fluence classics I’ve been wanting to put in something. And since the SE Paul’s already has switches it seemed like an obvious choice. But the SE Paul’s are really really good. A bit more output and warmer than the 58/15LT’s in my 594. But still clear and very usable. To the point I can’t talk myself into putting the fluence in there. So if the SE 594 pickups are as good as the SE Paul’s, I’ll probably finally put the fishman pickups in the Paul’s guitar. Or buy another SE 594 to put them in. Haha.

I also have a graph tech piezo stoptail. So it may end up on the Paul’s too. Then it will cover an insane amount of sonic territory. Haha.

I have a core 594. With that said, if I were in the market for a 594 today, I would be giving serious thoughts to buying the new SE 594 double cut and gutting the electronics and pickups and putting in the same electronics and pickups that my core model has. They have the pickups available right now for $500. I think you would end up with a very nice guitar for a lot less money. I would put the lampshade knobs on it too.

I think I would want to do something similar with the SE DGT. Getting the pickups would be much more difficult so I may give the stock pickups a try but would put the US electronics in it.

They made the SE line very strong this year. I am wondering if that was maybe not a great idea. This could take some sales away from the S2 line and maybe the core line due to the price differences.
I agree, I think it is a bad idea.
I am just imagining a guy in a local guitar store and there hangs an SE 594 and an S2 594 next to each other.
Who in their right mind would think the S2 is the right choice? A $1000 more for what?

Last edited:
Does anybody know the weight difference between the Single CUt and the Single Cut Standard - i didnt see it in the specs

but even then the Core trem is presently made by the same Korean company that makes the hardtails and two piece stoptails.
H'mmmm I thought naively , that Core trems were John Mann's product . So even the Core trem is Asian made ?

Not that that is bad (killer product of all kinds coming out of Korea nowadays) ... but cost ???

Does PRS use John Mann "MannMade" trem bridges for anything ? (they certainly sound better than the SE molded Trem bridge)

With S2 you get improvements where it really matters, IMO.

Superior woods (maybe an arguable point, but one-piece body, all woods sourced and dried directly by PRS, two-piece top with no veneers)
Superior finish
Superior nut
Superior frets
Superior workmanship (not a knock on SE, but the Maryland guitars are at another level)

I've been saying for a long time (apparently 10 years, wow) that the S2 is the sweet spot in the lineup as far as value goes for a truly quality instrument.

That said, that SE Singlecut Standard is really doin' it for me. Straight up rock n roll machine.
The finish does it for me, I never liked the feel of the poly finish that comes on the SE’s. The S2 gets the same finish that’s on the cores

After further investigation:
The new SE models have multi piece bodies and the necks are also 3 piece- not scarfed jointed but the length of the necks are 3 pieces.
Also, the tuners are not brass posts like on the S2s.

H'mmmm I thought naively , that Core trems were John Mann's product . So even the Core trem is Asian made ?

Not that that is bad (killer product of all kinds coming out of Korea nowadays) ... but cost ???

Does PRS use John Mann "MannMade" trem bridges for anything ? (they certainly sound better than the SE molded Trem bridge)
As far as I know you can only get a Mannmade bridge directly from him. I don’t think they are being used in any commercially manufactured guitar.

As far as I know you can only get a Mannmade bridge directly from him. I don’t think they are being used in any commercially manufactured guitar.
OK, I have already replaced an SE bridge with a MannMade, money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

But if Core bridges are not USA made... I wonder why this lower price is not reflected in Core pricing ???

I mean, I can see it if the Core bridge is USA or MannMade ... but if it is an albeit fine Korean component ... where is the cost savings ?

OK, I have already replaced an SE bridge with a MannMade, money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

But if Core bridges are not USA made... I wonder why this lower price is not reflected in Core pricing ???

I mean, I can see it if the Core bridge is USA or MannMade ... but if it is an albeit fine Korean component ... where is the cost savings ?
It’s been that way for a while,( core bridges being imported) the core bridge materials are still different from the SE/S2 line. It’s just one piece of the guitar and I doubt PRS quantifies their core pricing in a way that if they are saving money on manufacturing of that one part that it would carry over to the consumer.

Also agree that a Mann bridge is worth the money spent for one.

Have you found any of that... to affect the way the guitar sounds ?
As for the body and neck wood construction? No, I haven't but I haven't A/Bd them either.
The tuning posts might make more a difference. Mr. PRS seems to think that brass makes a difference.
A few years ago, I owned a SE 245 with the non-adjustable wrap-around bridge that was not brass. I replaced it with a MannMade one that was adjustable and had Brass saddles and posts and it definitely made a difference.

A few years ago, I owned a SE 245 with the non-adjustable wrap-around bridge that was not brass. I replaced it with a MannMade one that was adjustable and had Brass saddles and posts and it definitely made a difference.
Yeah ... I'm buying the "all brass contact thing" as I put a MannMade in a SE CU24 and ... Wow. Now I think upgrade Bridge before pickups.

I am working on an E-vil Plan, to put one of Mann's all brass Trem Bridges... into a truly Commie, not even SE (think PRS clone/ripoff !) guitar , where the bridge will cost more than the guitar !

But I wlll ask John, if he will allow his fine equipment, to be used in such a manner :)

Yeah ... I'm buying the "all brass contact thing" as I put a MannMade in a SE CU24 and ... Wow. Now I think upgrade Bridge before pickups.

I am working on an E-vil Plan, to put one of Mann's all brass Trem Bridges... into a truly Commie, not even SE (think PRS clone/ripoff !) guitar , where the bridge will cost more than the guitar !

But I wlll ask John, if he will allow his fine equipment, to be used in such a manner :)
Harley Benton?

With global economic slowdowns beefing up the SE lineup is a great move for the company and consumers alike. It ensures that PRS still sells a lot of guitars and that people can still afford them. In the short term, it might help them keep S2’s in stock too. They’ve been kind of in and out of stock at Sweetwater, Zzounds, Guitar Center, etc for a couple years now. Not that you want a glut of unsold gear laying around but there’s been a ton of unparalleled demand for a long time.

There are still S2 exclusive guitars. The 594 Thinline is my favorite of the series but not an SE. Vela models are awesome too. And a lot of people in America just want to own a US-made guitar. I think this will expand the number of people who own PRS guitars without a lot of risk of damaging the brand or their employees.

I think it’s part of the reason I like my se Paul’s so much. It has the brass inserts on the bridge. And mine also has a core nut with the brass powder infused. I def think having brass at those contact points make a difference.

I’m not a trem guy, but I think they stopped using Mannmade bridges quite a while ago. Maybe even the “gen 2” was when they went away from them.

Yep. Here’s a page that talks about it. Looks like 94-95 was the last years for the Mannmade bridge.

Back